Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Spare a moment to review my portfolio?

NeonGold
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
NeonGold polycounter lvl 5
Hey Polycount!

Hoping to start applying for junior environment artist positions in AAA this spring (already applied for one but never heard back, unfortunately) and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on my portfolio: https://www.artstation.com/allysoncikor

There isn't much there yet that has a 'wow' factor to it and I have some new projects in the works but any feedback I could get on what's there would be helpful. Also, overall does my portfolio even look up to the level of a junior environment artist or am I still well below the bar?

Thanks!

Replies

• lluc21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lluc21 polycounter lvl 5
    To me it looks like you have solid modeling and texturing skills, but your portfolio is missing decent renders.
    The cabin is pretty good, but there are a few places that could be improved. The first thing I noticed is that the floor looks very flat. It should have some variation to break repetition and give a bit of height variation to the wood planks. The composition and lighting looks decent to me.
    All the other projects are lacking decent renders. IMO the sketchfab viewer should be used as a support for the model, and be put in the last place. You should have beauty shots rendered in Unreal, Marmoset or something similar, showing the wireframe and different textures. After all you want your portfolio to be easy to look at.
  • Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seeberg polycounter lvl 6
    You have definitely shown your skill at modeling and texturing with what you have currently. All the assets appear to be game ready with a few minor adjustments. Which is good start! With portfolio pieces it doesn't hurt to go a little more with the topology just to add those small details to give a piece that pop. Overall I would add texture breakdowns for the props and showcase UVs. At least in my experience, I have been asked to show UVs for a handful of interviews. I would also add a few more render shots to your current portfolio pieces. One turntable often wont impress / catch the attention of recruiters on their first look. Most AAA studios use external parties to sift through applicants so if a recruiter has to open another site to review UV's or check what maps you used then odds of getting passed the first round drops. You want to try and contain everything within the portfolio piece. 

Forgotten Cabin & Cabin Props:

I would recommend combining these two, to give Forgotten Cabin more renders. I also agree with lluc21 with adding variation to the wood flooring and shiplap walls. Something quick and dirty is to model a few individual floor boards and scatter them throughout the scene. 

I would also bump up the ambient occlusion in this area. As the cloth and mirror looks like it's floating. For the lighter wooden blanks, definitely break it up and add some broken bits to the end. Natural aged damage wouldn't have a clean cut like that. Unless it's left over material, which in that case add some dust or something as it seems to fresh. I would also double check the length of the floorboards. They seem tiny compared to the other props. 

Related image

Spartan Diorama:
    For close up scenes like this it doesn't hurt to model out the individual rocks and blades of grass for the ground. However if you want to stick with the ground texture, throw in a ball texture render in there as well to showcase it. Also include the node graph if this was done in substance designer. After a quick look at stock photo's from Greece, the ground is slightly lighter and it wouldn't hurt to add a shrub or two. With just those two now it currently feels a bit empty. I don't know exactly what to add to it to give it a pop. Possibly expand on the idea and set up a smaller scene with a few more props to illustrate a story. 

Old Damaged Vending Machine: 
    This scene just needs more. More breakdown renders and more props.

Other than that what you have is a really good start! Just needs that extra level of polish and push to get it there! 
  • NeonGold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These are super helpful, thank you so much! I have always struggled with showcasing my work so these actionable steps are super helpful. :)
  • NeonGold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heard back from the position I applied to and I didn't get it, but that's okay - I've gone and made some of the changes that were suggested (Haven't got to all just yet) so hopefully I can be a stronger applicant next time. 

Thoughts on the updated content?
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    For the broken vending machine, would be cool if only some of the glass was broken. I'm not really buying the mirror material in the attic. Looks odd, like it's frozen lake. Put the cabin props inside the cabin project. The sword and shield are neat but they're not going to land you a job. What are you going to work on next? Picking the best concept to work from can be the difference between getting a job and not getting a job. I spend time on ArtStation viewing 2D concepts and have built up a collection, which I think is a great strategy to finding great concepts.

Also, where are you applying? If you apply in Van or Montreal you might hear back a bit more, although I think your work has a bit more of a journey to go.
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    I'd echo the other comments in this thread. It looks like you have a solid understanding of the asset pipeline, which is great, but I think your portfolio is lacking complexity in form. Most of the props have primitive silhouettes and lack complex compound shapes. I suggest finding an object, or set of objects that have strong visual interest on their own. Really consider what aspects of the object you personally find aesthetically appealing. There is certainly value in being able to make beautiful renditions of the mundane, but your portfolio should have that 'wow' factor with something neat / more complex.

I personally like looking at older objects, furniture, architecture, etc... for inspiration. Sleek, modern objects and buildings are neat and all, but older articulated designs tend to have a little more character and visual interest on their own. Poke around here to see what I mean:

http://ancientpoint.com/

Finally, you may have already seen this thread, but if not, check it out! It's a good place to see not only the quality, but also the complexity AAA studios are looking for. I think you can get there with 1-2 new portfolio pieces. Good luck!

https://polycount.com/discussion/187512/recently-hired-in-aaa-show-us-your-portfolio/p1
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    I do like the cabin props a lot (the one with the barrel and table render) in terms of material and general lighting.

Most of the other assets seem to be a bit heavy on the AO/grunge. Perhaps my feedback is more based on personal preference so take it with a big grain of salt :) . I know some games go quite heavy on the AO/cavity maps. But the most important thing that seems to be a good area to focus on more is better lighting. For example, in the vending machine scene, the bottle/can on the ground should be casting some sort of shadow, otherwise they look like they are floating.