Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Overwatch architecture work - Thiago Klafke

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Minos polycounter lvl 16
Hey everyone! About time I post some of my architectural work on Overwatch :)

Before we go further I need to make it very clear that these screenshots represent the culmination of team work. We are a very small team and each one of us contributes a lot to how our maps look. These screenshots show the areas where I had the biggest impact, either by making the majority of the architecture in them or by putting my own vision/interpretation into them.

First one, Ilios.  I worked mainly on the Village tier, creating several of the buildings for this area. The architecture work in this map was split between me, Bram Eulaers, Martin Holmberg and Philip Klevestav. Dion Rogers and Helder Pinto took care of the set dressing and lighting and Andrew Klimas made the dropship.

Replies

• Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Lijiang Tower

I created the city backdrop and worked mainly on the street market level. Philip Klevestav took care of the majority of the architecture, and Dion Rogers and Helder Pinto were responsible for lighting and set dressing. Andrew Klimas made the dropship. 

• wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    so freaking sexy as always Thiago, any possbile chance to see breakdowns? A lot of love and Merry Christmas! 
  • Aether
    Offline / Send Message
    Aether polycounter lvl 2
    Stunning work by you and the team, this game is such an inspiration to me as it is very close to my favourite art style. Thank you for sharing, I would love to see some breakdowns too but otherwise just more screenshots in general will do!
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks!

Unfortunately we will not be posting breakdowns at this time.

Here's another map, Eichenwalde.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3xFKckFCGM

I worked closely with Bram Eulaers and Philip Klevestav on the architecture, blocking out a lot of the village part from the level design blockout, and taking most the buildings in the screenshots to completion. The tavern was started by me and finished by Philip Klevestav. Dion Rogers and Helder Pinto took care of the foliage, lighting and set dressing. These screenshots feature a lot of my work but of course this map is a culmination of team effort.

• gsokol
    Fantastic work!  I've been playing a ton of Overwatch lately and I really enjoy these levels.  I hope you guys keep pumping them out :P
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    beautiful environment work! I love the style and flair of overwatch.
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Hey everyone! Long time no posting here :D I recently uploaded screenshots for Oasis, and thought I'd post it here too. For this map, I was responsible for taking the Gardens point from level design blockout to art final. I created the majority of the architecture, textures and materials you see on the screens. This was a very tough map to make. We had just lost a concept artist and I had a very short time to come up with the visuals for this map. The main inspiration was the hanging gardens of Babylon!

Extra architecture work by Bram Eulaers, Philip Klevestav and Helder Pinto. All foliage work and lighting done by Dion Rogers. Set dressing by Nathan Bowden and Lindsay Johnson.

I'll be posting more maps soon, so stay tuned to this thread :D

And I also just created a twitter account, feel free to follow me to stay in touch! https://twitter.com/thiagoklafke

• 3DKlassen
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKlassen polycounter lvl 4
    Your work is amazing! I love the consistent look and feel of Overwatch, It's one of my favorite games. The art work on this game inspires me! Hopefully one day I'll have a chance to work along side you talented people! Great job, you should be very proud!
  • Stanley3DArt
    Offline / Send Message
    Stanley3DArt polycounter lvl 5
    Amazing stuff, really inspiring
  • sav3d1771
    Offline / Send Message
    sav3d1771 triangle
    Really big thnx for this maps!=)
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Hey everyone! Another update, this time with some breakdowns :D 

Junkertown was one of my favorite environments to have ever worked on! Not only I'm a huge fan of the style, but this map allowed for so much creativity. When we started, we only had very faint ideas of how we wanted the map to look like. The look really grew organically and naturally, a reflection of how the map was laid out (by the very talented Dave Adams!). Its winding corridors and wonky architecture allows for a lot of interesting gameplay and vertical action.
    I was deeply involved in the creation of this map, being responsible for the majority of the architecture in the outback area (ranch), and scrapyard arena. I converted the level design geometry to first pass art geo, figured out the architecture style (with help from Al Crutchley's amazing concepts!), made several of the tiling textures and trims, ground mesh and backdrop vista. At some point, I handed over this area to Phil Wang, who did an amazing job finalizing the buildings (and making Junkrat's house). I then came back in the end to do some final polish (decal placement, etc...)
    For the scrapyard, I also started early, converting the area from Level Design to Art, making the majority of the architecture and textures. I had a huge help from my friend Helder Pinto in this area (who did the amazing lighting you see here and helped finalize the final stage area). This area also features mechas by Gaëtan Montaudouin, and scrap texture by Dion Rogers.
    All of the set dressing you see on the map was done by Helder Pinto, Nathan Bowden, Lindsay Johnson and Dion Rogers. Lighting was done by Dion Rogers and Helder Pinto. Props were created by Nathan Bowden, Lindsay Johnson and outsourcing teams. Concept art was done by Al Crutchley and Oscar Favaro.
    The city part of the level (not shown here), was made by Andrew Klimas, Gaëtan Montaudouin and Helder Pinto.
    If you want to know more about the making of this level, you can watch my Digital Dragons 2018 presentation on it (included in this page).
    Cheers!
    Thiago

Here's the Digital Dragons talk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2wNZjF8Rws

• Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    These environments are just so pleasing to look at. Amazing work on all of these, and those progress shots are mint.
  • stefanWilliams_C
    Offline / Send Message
    stefanWilliams_C polycounter lvl 4
    The Overwatch environments are some of my favourite environments of all time. Your work never fails to inspire me! From the stylized materials to the mega-pleasing shapes, it's all gorgeous!