Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

FINISHED- Forest Tower - stylized scifi environment

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
manuelfuentes13 polycounter lvl 6
Hi everyone, so here is the latest environment I've been working on in my free time, Below you can find the first sketches I did to come up with the idea.
More images here : https://www.artstation.com/manuelfuentes/blog
I´m using UE4 for this one.

Here is the initial blockout in 3dsmax

For this cliffs I created the height map in substance designer and used it as a mask in zbrush to quickly get a base for the sculpt, after a little bit of polish this was the result.

Replies

• manuelfuentes13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update >
    -made stylized wood bark substance for the pine trunks
    -created pine trees foliage variation and added color variation by object position in ue4 for the branches
    -started vertex painting some grass and rock texture on the cliffs
    -grass
    still a long way to go , need to make a lot of different size rocks, more small shrubs and small plants, and also go back to the structure and finish all the hardsurface details and start texturing :S. 
    Comments and critique are welcome :)

• manuelfuentes13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added purple flowers and shrubs to the ground, also adjusted the grass to be smaller and added more contrast to the pine texture.
  • manuelfuentes13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

So today I wanted to share some more progress on the scene. I tried to add a scifi looking energy beam effect to the inside of the structure, I tried out painting a couple of different maps in photoshop and the one that worked best was basically just a lot of spots and some pencil strokes, mixed out with an emmisive texture , a panner and some world position deformation this was the final result. Just kept changing and moving the settings on the material until finally after some experimentation I ended up with something that looked kinda cool. I still might have to add some particles with niagara on top of this to take it to the next level.

Until the next update, let me know what you think 😊.

• manuelfuentes13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hi everyone, It's been a while since the last update, I've had little free time to work on the scene lately :(, but I finally  managed to make some progress. Spent last week unwrapping most of the elements and adjusting the lighting (previously I only had one huge stretched out point light with no shadows for the beam, and now I've placed a couple of spot lights on each level to get better shadow and lighting, also moved the sun and increased the intensity to get better contrast, and changed the bottom half color of the skylight to something lighter to get better visibility in the shadowed areas).

This past weekend I started adding some color and some basic metal texture (still need to spend more time working on it and creating some variations to vertex paint) I also created a basic  decals and trim sheet to start adding some more details to all the elements, I only managed to do a couple of them last night but hopefully Ill finish all of them by the end of the week (fingers crossed). Let me know what you think, all comments, questions, advice and critiques are very welcome !

https://www.artstation.com/manuelfuentes/blog

• manuelfuentes13
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hey, whats the resolution of the images you're uploading? Your UE4 screen shots are taking ages to load on my computer. It may just be my internet at work, but I'd suggest dropping your image resolution so it'll load.
  • manuelfuentes13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, whats the resolution of the images you're uploading? Your UE4 screen shots are taking ages to load on my computer. It may just be my internet at work, but I'd suggest dropping your image resolution so it'll load.
    They are 1920x1080, around 1mb- 1.5mb each image, no idea why it's slow, but I just re uploaded them in a lower resolution 200-300kb , hopefully that fixes the problem :)