Home Technical Talk

Stair-stepping on baked cut on corners? Even with skewing function.

guitarguy00
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
guitarguy00 polycounter lvl 6
I tried baking a cut detail from a high poly source onto the low poly and around the corner of the object I got this stair-stepping effect when I tried to fix the skewing through Toolbags Skew feature.

This is the geometry:

Now I am thinking that the vertical edges are messing up the vertex normals? I managed to solve most (80%)of the problem by manually adding edges following the cut detail: 

Why does this happen? Shouldn't Toolbag's Skew function solve this or is it because it is on a corner? Is there anything further I can do to completely resolve the problem? Thanks heaps in advance.

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Maybe a different triangulation between bake and view?
  • guitarguy00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin said:
    Maybe a different triangulation between bake and view?
    Unfortunately not, I just tried with a fully triangulated mesh just now, same problem :(
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Is the error on the skew one disturbingly visible from reasonable view distance?
  • guitarguy00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura said:
    Is the error on the skew one disturbingly visible from reasonable view distance?
    Not really. However I just discovered this...

This should definitely not be happening. I am thinking it is my hardware settings now?
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Ok thats weird  =) I think if you post the fbxes, someone will be glad to help figuring this out.
  • guitarguy00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried baking on a laptop I used to use prior to building a PC and had the same issue. So I think I can rule out hardware and Toolbag settings. Any other ideas? I will upload the FBX's tonight.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    So the normalmap looks totally .. normal?

If so I would check out the low + normal here myself 
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    What does the flat 2D normal map look like?
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Assuming it's not tria gulation related (which it looks like it is).... 
    It looks like crap precision in the uv interpolation. 
    It'll happen more with long thin faces, if uvs are far from the origin, things are massive/tiny etc. 

Why its happening in toolbag is a mystery to me though. I can't see a single asset of reasonable size provoking floating point errors. 
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Did  you use a super heavy brush setting for painting over the skew? That happens sometimes, try a softer brush? The best option is to add a loop right in the middle of that and remove it after bake (assuming you have hard edges and the mesh shading doesn't change)
  • guitarguy00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer said:
    Did  you use a super heavy brush setting for painting over the skew? That happens sometimes, try a softer brush? The best option is to add a loop right in the middle of that and remove it after bake (assuming you have hard edges and the mesh shading doesn't change)
    I did use a heavy brush. Using a softer brush gives the same error, just not as bad. Joe said that this is a limitation of the skew function and mentioned adding a loop on the low poly where the cut is but advised against removing the loop after the bake to avoid shading errors.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    huffer said:
    the shading will change, its a curved surface. just don't alter the geo post bake. don't
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    I dare you to do it! Think about this scenario, you're doing this for a client and sending the bake for review. They don't accept that skewing error and ask you to fix it. Send out the model with a loop there? "What is this loop doing here, it doesn't support any geo or silhouette, please remove it". What next?

Yeah, its possible the shading will change if you bake with it then remove it. Yeah, it's not good and you should try something else. But if the shading doesn't change you can go for it. Either that or go the looong way around using the temporary skewmesh technique and object space bake.
  • guitarguy00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer said:
    I dare you to do it! Think about this scenario, you're doing this for a client and sending the bake for review. They don't accept that skewing error and ask you to fix it. Send out the model with a loop there? "What is this loop doing here, it doesn't support any geo or silhouette, please remove it". What next?

Yeah, its possible the shading will change if you bake with it then remove it. Yeah, it's not good and you should try something else. But if the shading doesn't change you can go for it. Either that or go the looong way around using the temporary skewmesh technique and object space bake.
    Interesting take actually. Would a client really care about a loop that contains maybe 18 verts though?
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Interesting take actually. Would a client really care about a loop that contains maybe 18 verts though?
    Depends, I wish we all had big triangle budgets, 2K textures for everything and reasonable clients, but yes, it happens very often if you're doing props or environment work. For example, the work I'm doing now not only has low triangle budgets but low texture resolutions. Most small props are in the 100-200 triangle range. If you have a cylindrical prop and 18 verts to spare, you'll add a chamfer on top instead of a support loop for your bakes. This client will absolutely call on it if you leave it there.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Looks to me you made it super hard crease for baking it down in the first place. I am referring to Earthquake's post where he shows acceptable view distances vs sharpness of edges for baking. Basically you make em a bit rounder (soft) than usual for good results. 
    Have this area more UV space, large 2k bake with AA stuff on.  

http://wiki.polycount.com/w/images/8/85/Normal_edge_thickness.jpg  << this