Home Technical Talk

Looking for a way to edit Vertex Normals with falloff or soft selection in Maya LT... or Substance!

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Athaedos polycounter lvl 8
So I'm looking for a workflow to use on countless terrain meshes that meet up and create seams, show in an idealized/simplified version here:

I knew it probably wouldn't work, but I tried anyways:

Gives this result, which is indeed removing the seam, but of course creates two new seams that are softer but of course worse looking:

So... after doing some searches I didn't stumble on any way to easily lock some vertex normals and average surrounding vertex normals with a falloff, as I would like to do.

I would also be open to a solution that involved Substance painter, such as using the texture normals rather than vertex normals and painting with a soft brush directly into the normal map with a brush where the seams are. I'm not sure if anything like that is possible, but I'd prefer a simpler solution with the meshes themselves.

Anyone know of a good direct solution to this problem? I am constructing a scene in a way where *everything* is a unique sculpt, and that is not something negotiable so I need an actual solution to blending their edges-- and their edges will never be something I can make into one mesh. Since it is terrain, 90% of the time they meet the vertex normals could be blended from a pure Y up setting, if that makes it easier.

I am not worried about strange lighting results from my vertex normals not matching the face directions of the mesh-- the absolute priority is accomplishing a smooth transition from one mesh to the next. 

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If working with mini terrain chunks like this, you could shrinkwrap a new plane on top. Then use Transfer Attributes to push its normals back to your originals.
  • Athaedos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, using that way I was able to get much better results:

While looking for the Transfer Attributes in the menus I noticed a 'paint attributes tool' which got me excited for a bit, but alas I found no proper way to use it with vertex normals. It does look like it could be used in conjunction with the transfer attributes method somehow, but maybe not for vertex normals.

If anyone knows if there are any plugins that would simply allow me to paint vetex normals to y = 1 with a brush falloff, I would love to hear about it as that would be much easier/smoother. For now I'll try to see if I can use the shrinkwrap > transfer method on my real meshes.
  • Athaedos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    By smoothing out the shrinkwrap mesh before transferring I was able to get even smoother results, I think this is totally acceptable now.

• Athaedos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obviously applying it to my real-world scenario entails a bit more work, and I did have to also do an over-riding normal paint in substance painter on the meshes, but it works! Thanks again throttlekitty. (there is a seam cutting diagonally through the lighter brown on the ground that is now invisible)on t

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glad it worked for you :)

Paint Attributes is generally used with other systems in maya, cloth for example. I can't say that I've ever seen a way to paint normals in Maya. (until just now that i searched for it lol)  https://gumroad.com/l/normalpaint Would be nice to pick from a hemisphere palette in addition to the sliders though.
  • Athaedos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks like a great tool, thanks for the link... alas, it appears to be in python and I just have Maya LT. Now that it's 2019... well, for a little bit... does anyone know of a tool like that in Blender? On a quick search it looks like the other app that has it is Softimage, lol.