Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

C&C for my D&D 3D models for 3D printing

leltono
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
leltono polycounter lvl 3
Hello! 
So I recently bought a 3D printer and I want to create all the character on my D&D session. 
I have started with a Druid in his bear form. The idea is that he has a leather armour that covers his soulders when he transforms. 
I am very happy with the result so far as I am seeing a quality improvement compared to other projects that I have worked in the past, but there has to be flaws that I am not seeing and you can help me spot them (One of them being the pattern on the leather armour I am working on it! ) ^^

Replies

  • leltono
    Offline / Send Message
    leltono polycounter lvl 3
    I am rethinking the armour as I am not happy with how it is looking so far. 
  • Carabiner
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    This generally looks nice, and like it will print well! The piece under his chin feels very odd to me. Is that a long tuft of fur? If it is, it feels really blobby and not as delicately sculpted as the rest of his fur (which is very nicely done). If it's intended to be something else like wood, I'm not sure why it would be in that place or how it's attached.
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin interpolator
    Keep the balance point in mind. It's bit top-heavy compared to the base plate
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan greentooth
    Yah, the armor could use a redesign. Right now it kind of just looks like a welcome mat sitting on his shoulders. Leather armor usually has a lot more layers and segments for the sake of strength, flexibility, and looking cool. As well as straps, stitches, buttons, and other fun details to sculpt holding all together.

  • leltono
    Offline / Send Message
    leltono polycounter lvl 3
    Carabiner said:
    This generally looks nice, and like it will print well! The piece under his chin feels very odd to me. Is that a long tuft of fur? If it is, it feels really blobby and not as delicately sculpted as the rest of his fur (which is very nicely done). If it's intended to be something else like wood, I'm not sure why it would be in that place or how it's attached.
    It is beard. The original character has a really big beard so to keep some facial features that match the original reference i keep the beard(bearded bear haha) 

  • leltono
    Offline / Send Message
    leltono polycounter lvl 3
    I have just 3D printed the bear without any armour just to see how the details are going so far. (I have to sand the support remains )
    I guess, I have to make the details more acute as some of the sculpted fur is lost in the miniature. As well as the eye sockets.
    I am quite happy with the results so far, as this is my second printed miniature(the first one being a 3D test model from www.heroforge.com)
    I wanted to printed quickly so I can fail faster and learn a little bit about the pipeline needed past 3D modelling for 3D printing. Just in case I need to take into account problems that may apper in the next steps.

  • leltono
    Offline / Send Message
    leltono polycounter lvl 3
    rollin said:
    Keep the balance point in mind. It's bit top-heavy compared to the base plate
    I have changed the base so it won't fall, thank you to point that out! JamesBrisnehan said:
    Yah, the armor could use a redesign. Right now it kind of just looks like a welcome mat sitting on his shoulders. Leather armor usually has a lot more layers and segments for the sake of strength, flexibility, and looking cool. As well as straps, stitches, buttons, and other fun details to sculpt holding all together.

    Thank you for the references! I was trying to make something like a gambeson but I love these layered leather armours, guess I will try to make something like it
Sign In or Register to comment.