[WIP][UE4] Space Prison and Research Facility

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Vizimir triangle
Hello, 

last week I started working on my new project with sci-fi atmosphere. The rough idea is to create some kind of futuristic prison with suggestion that the owners of the place use prisoners to obtain valuable (powerful maybe?) material. 

First things first, I created some fast concept arts with interior design, loosely inspired by movies like Space OdysseyMoon and The Empire Strikes Back. Main scheme consists a big round chamber with hero prop in the center and smaller corridors leading to prisoners cells. The hero prop is  
a muli level machine made to storage the resources obtained by/from prisoners.

Next I created a first blockout in UE4 to test shapes and scale in the 3D.

There is several more things I want to test before I go to asset creation, but I'm courious what do you think about the concept, scale and composition.

Replies

• Vizimir
    Offline / Send Message
    Vizimir triangle
    Quick test for today, I decided to add  wider corridors and result is more appealing to me. 
    I think I'm ready to start creating assets and adding details to the scene. 

• Vizimir
    Offline / Send Message
    Vizimir triangle
    Hello, 
    I made some progress with my scene and replaced all modular assets with new ones and made some basic materials in designer to work with.
    For the start I going for a neutral white and black light scenario and I will add colours later.
    I have got some problems with light seams beetween meshes and as you can see in some pleaces they are still visible but it was far worst than that. I think they are acceptable for now, and gonna be masked  with proper texture (trim sheet) in the future.
    Let me know what you think.

• Crazy_pixel
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel polycounter lvl 7
    Uh nice project I like the shapes of the hallways and the neon light design. I can feel the claustrophobic mood :)
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 7
    Reaaaaaaaaally digging the vibe in this. It's like a pleasant mix of Star Wars and 2001: A Space Odyssey 
  • Vizimir
    Offline / Send Message
    Vizimir triangle
    Nice to hear that guys :)

Quick shot on the main room with core machinery. Still need to work on lighting of whole space and color intensity of core tubes.
  • Obscura
    Online / Send Message
    Obscura veteran polycounter
    Just saw this on twitter and really reminded me to your scene:
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EKnNFNxXkAEaCUO?format=jpg&name=medium
  • jdellinger98
    That last update something seems a bit off to me. I'm in no means an expert in design but, the white neon hallways Are amazing, but the "core machinery" renders just leave something to be desire I guess. 

I think it has to do with everything in this render being completely symmetrical. I do think it's good but, there is nothing really drawing my attention to any certain focal point. Overall I think your killing it; imo I'm not a  fan of the neon light shooting directly upwards on every single doorway. If I was playing this area in a game, I'd get lost so often.
  • Vizimir
    Offline / Send Message
    Vizimir triangle
    Hello, 

another update to my scene. Added decals, some storytelling and tweaked colors with lighting. 
    I still planning to add one crucial element to whole scene, which, I hope bring more story to empty corridors.
    So the shots:

Obscura said:
    Just saw this on twitter and really reminded me to your scene:
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EKnNFNxXkAEaCUO?format=jpg&name=medium
    Oh nice, thanks for good reference :)
    That last update something seems a bit off to me. I'm in no means an expert in design but, the white neon hallways Are amazing, but the "core machinery" renders just leave something to be desire I guess. 

I think it has to do with everything in this render being completely symmetrical. I do think it's good but, there is nothing really drawing my attention to any certain focal point. Overall I think your killing it; imo I'm not a  fan of the neon light shooting directly upwards on every single doorway. If I was playing this area in a game, I'd get lost so often.
    You are right about focal points in this shot. I change a composition a bit, to focus more on the corridor than on the core, and still planning to add storytelling element somewhere there: 

As for neons above doors, I think during gameplay one of them can be different color or flicker to point player in the right direction.