Home Technical Talk

3dsmax- Select Faces using step mode in uvs?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
Is there  a way to select uv faces on a model using the stepmode?  It does not work with Unwrap uv modifier,

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    What does your modifier stack look like? Won't work if the modifier below is Mesh IIRC.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    It only works in Polygon mode if you have two or more faces selected, and they're in a loop. Using step mode on a single face won't work.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It only works in edit poly mode. If I stack a unwrap uv modifier on top of a editable poly modifier without any faces selected, when I try selecting the faces in the uv modifier. I can't select with step mode.I have to select the faces using step mode first before I add the unwrap uv modifier  and this prevents selection of any other faces apart from the one selected before the unwrap uv modifier was applied.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Hmm. I just tested with a teapot primitive plus an Unwrap mod, and it worked fine.

Maybe you're doing something different in your steps that prevents it from working properly. Can you post a screenshot of the modifier stack when it's not working? 
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In my modifier stack all I have is an editable poly at the bottom and an Unwrap mod on top. 
    https://polycount.com/discussion/167040/3ds-max-easiest-way-to-select-loop-segment
    This thread explains how to turn stepmode on,  it goes off once u switch component mode or add a new modifier.

Is there a hotkey for turning  step mode on and off?

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    That thread is about Editable Poly, or the Graphite Tools in the ribbon.

Totally different from UVW Unwrap's Edit UVs window, which has buttons in the bottom toolbar. Are you using those buttons?

I think a step by step is in order here.

1. Editable Poly model with a collapsed stack. 
    2. Exit sub-object mode.
    3. Add a.UVW Unwrap modifier.
    etc.

Otherwise I can't help, I'm not a mind reader.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry. Thanks for trying to help. I appreciate the help, Eric. 
     I am asking is it possible to select faces like that thread in the viewport when u using the Unwrap uv mod, not in the UVW Unwrap's Edit UVs window.
    1. Editable Poly model with a collapsed stack. 
    2. Exit sub-object mode.
    3. Add a.UVW Unwrap modifier.
    4.Select edge or face mode.
    5. Select one edge/face, hold Ctrl and select the other edge/face in viewport.

(GIF originally posted by @s1dK)
    6. Does not work like the gif because there is no way to activate a stepmode. Only the  other face is selected, no loop selection is created between the two first selected edges/faces.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    That tool only works with Editable Poly.

Did you search scriptspot.com and maxplugins.de?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Also, you can get there with stock 3ds Max, just a few more clicks.

Select steploop edges in Editable Poly with Graphite. Ctrl click the Polygon button in Selection rollout of Editable Poly. While in sub-object mode, add an Unwrap modifier. When done editing UVs, collapse the stack. Repeat as needed. 
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That tool only works with Editable Poly.
    I suspected that as well. I did check. Couldn't find anything. This would make things faster. 

Select steploop edges in Editable Poly with Graphite. Ctrl click the Polygon button in Selection rollout of Editable Poly. While in sub-object mode, add an Unwrap modifier. When done editing UVs, collapse the stack. Repeat as needed. 
    That's the method  I have been using but it becomes very cumbersome when u have a lot of faces involved.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Out of curiosity, could you explain why you want to do this?
    Step mode for edges already exists in the form of 'point-to-point seams', but drawing a blank on why you'd need to do the same for faces? It probably wouldn't take too long to script though.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If that was possible, u could easily select faces in the 3d view and uvmap them to a trim sheet for example. Especially if the faces are many. 
    If there was a script to do this that would be awesome :- )