Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Harley Davidson Motorcycle - What do you think?

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Evren01 triangle
This is a Harley Davidson - Streed Rod model motorcycle. Took a while to complete, due to insufficient reference image angles i needed to do a little intuitive modelling for some little - inner parts. I think it worked you tell me.

Replies

• Jammilburn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jammilburn polycounter lvl 8
    This is dope! I really like the leather material.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah this is wicked :)
  • Evren01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Evren01 triangle
    Thanks brothers.  :)
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Very solid modelling and shaders, but if I did have to point out one thing that feels... weird, to me it would be how "plasticy" the wheels are.
  • Evren01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Evren01 triangle
    fdfxd2 said:
    Very solid modelling and shaders, but if I did have to point out one thing that feels... weird, to me it would be how "plasticy" the wheels are.
    Thanks, i didn't feel the same while i was working but i contemplated it when you said,  maybe you are right, i may have failed in wheel shaders.  :s 
  • TheFear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheFear polycounter lvl 7
    This is looking fantastic! A few things that jump out to my eye:
     - As a rider/hobby mechanic, there's an alarming gap between the fuel tank and seat pan. It looks like you may have missed some elements of the frame in that area. (For example: https://images.app.goo.gl/kjh4A42LcRrdiUzeA)
     - The rear guard (and licence plate frame) appear metal here, though they are most often plastic.
     - The aging on the exhaust system when compared to the rest of the bike feels a little heavy. I'd expect to see wear on the tyres well before anything else. Perhaps consider what the story is here, at the moment the materials say this is a new bike with an older exhaust.
     - Some of the materials read as more of a soft glossy or plastic material.

Nice work!
  • Evren01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Evren01 triangle
    TheFear said:
     - As a rider/hobby mechanic, there's an alarming gap between the fuel tank and seat pan. It looks like you may have missed some elements of the frame in that area. (For example: https://images.app.goo.gl/kjh4A42LcRrdiUzeA)
     - The rear guard (and licence plate frame) appear metal here, though they are most often plastic.
     - The aging on the exhaust system when compared to the rest of the bike feels a little heavy. I'd expect to see wear on the tyres well before anything else. Perhaps consider what the story is here, at the moment the materials say this is a new bike with an older exhaust.

Nice work!
    Thank you for detailed feedback! Yes I should have worked more carefully on these kind of little details. 

My question is, are they big issues to find a job in 3A game industry? Since it is a portfolio piece, i generally focused on fotorealism, and decent modelling - shading. I can fix those logical issues normally, not a big deal but the story and logic are usually not my priority, but maybe this is a mistake I don't know. Would employers mind those kind of things in your opinion?
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Nice work! I rekon youve done all the hard stuff. Why not push it a little further and put some wear and grit on the tires?
  • Evren01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Evren01 triangle
    kanga said:
    Nice work! I rekon youve done all the hard stuff. Why not push it a little further and put some wear and grit on the tires?
    Thank you, since almost everyone gives the same advise, from now on i'll always put some more wears and that kind of things on my stuffs. And yes i will do some re-editing for this one as well. :3 Thanks again.
  • TheFear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheFear polycounter lvl 7
    Evren01 said:
    TheFear said:

Nice work!
    Thank you for detailed feedback! Yes I should have worked more carefully on these kind of little details. 

My question is, are they big issues to find a job in 3A game industry? Since it is a portfolio piece, i generally focused on fotorealism, and decent modelling - shading. I can fix those logical issues normally, not a big deal but the story and logic are usually not my priority, but maybe this is a mistake I don't know. Would employers mind those kind of things in your opinion?
    That is a worthwhile question, and somewhat tricky - on one hand, not everyone strips down motorcycles in their spare time, therefore some design problems here may go unnoticed. However, if it is noticed - it's a flag that you didn't use sufficient reference or research the subject of your model. From my perspective, as someone from a company that puts a great deal of effort into accurately recreating historic war vehicles, it would be far more impressive to see this piece labelled correctly (20XX Harley Davidson Street 500 [XG500]) and I would expect to hear about the reference gathering process and how you ensured it was all of the same model & model year.

However, that is all advice not knowing where you are applying and for what role... this piece is really great, so don't get me wrong, it certainly deserves a spot in your folio - just consider an answer for those questions should you apply to a company with vehicle games in their DNA.
  • Evren01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Evren01 triangle
    TheFear said:
    Evren01 said:
    TheFear said:

Nice work!

That is a worthwhile question, and somewhat tricky - on one hand, not everyone strips down motorcycles in their spare time, therefore some design problems here may go unnoticed. However, if it is noticed - it's a flag that you didn't use sufficient reference or research the subject of your model. From my perspective, as someone from a company that puts a great deal of effort into accurately recreating historic war vehicles, it would be far more impressive to see this piece labelled correctly (20XX Harley Davidson Street 500 [XG500]) and I would expect to hear about the reference gathering process and how you ensured it was all of the same model & model year.

However, that is all advice not knowing where you are applying and for what role... this piece is really great, so don't get me wrong, it certainly deserves a spot in your folio - just consider an answer for those questions should you apply to a company with vehicle games in their DNA.
    Thanks for informations, as far as I understand it may or may not be a problem, depends on companies' expectations or their prior focuses. I'm interested in general 3D positions or Environment Arts, these are the roles that I want to get. This is my portfolio: https://www.artstation.com/evren01

I'm trying to make it better and working on new - better Environments now (I'm not satisfied with my old environments). I'll always consider all of your advises while i am working for future projects.