Home Technical Talk

Looking for Software Recommendation

Hi,

I hope this is the correct place to ask this.  I'm working on a project to convert some simple 2D technical schematics to 3D.  I'm totally new to this and I've been looking into what software might be a) easy to use for a beginner and b) end up producing "professional" looking diagrams in the end.  In the research I've done so far, Blender seems like a lot of overkill for static 3D schematics, yet I'm not sure if the 3D tools in Photoshop will be enough to get the job done.  Here is an example of the type of simple schematic I want to convert to a 3D image:

The blue area is a cylindrical lens which I need to be transparent and there is a 3-axis coordinate plane.  The yellow circles are spots on the surface of the lens through which the plane of the x-axis passes.  What would you experts recommend as a good software tool for a beginner to recreate something like this in 3D?  Once I figure out what software might be best I can try and find the necessary tutorials but I'd also appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks!
Paul

Replies

• pwade
    Also, I should have clarified that it can be wire-frame with shading.  I don't really need textures but I'm also not sure if my terminology here is right so I'll stop babbling.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Blender!...and not sure what you meant by 'overkill? so just type the search term - "convert 2d image to 3d model in blender" then test a given workflow for yourself. Proving or disproving an assumption IMO propagates an optimal learning curve.
  • SebKaine
    Offline / Send Message
    SebKaine polycounter lvl 5
    this sound like a vector base kind of works.
    - if you can export the vector path info of your 2D schema in .ai / .eps / .pdf /  .dxf / .stp / .igs i would go with moi 3D directly.
    - if you can' t export vector info, i would import my 2D schema in illustrator, do a vectorisation of them and then export them in .pdf to moi 3D.

So i would recommand to check those : 
    https://www.adobe.com/fr/products/illustrator.html -> good vectorisation tool
    http://moi3d.com/ -> great nurbs tool to work with curves and export poly object

Don' t judge Moi 3D by his toy like UI, the tool is extremely powerful.