Home Career & Education

How much time you're given to switch to a different software?

ned_poreyra
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ned_poreyra polycounter lvl 4
I know "it depends", but there is some universal range from "wow that's fast" to "omg we shouldn't have hired this guy". One day would be considered fast, but what's the maximum time? A month?

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    usually atleast a couple weeks of ramp up time anytime I have started at a new studio. your first couple days are usually booked with meetings, syncing the tools and build etc 

and I mean most of the basic tools you used on a daily basis in 3d software, move scale rotate, bevel, chamfer, extrude etc are quick enough to learn so you can at east get started making stuff and then adapt your more intricate/advanced techniques over time. No one is going to expect you to output perfectly for the first little bit. you are usually paired with another artist for the first 2-4 weeks who is alloted time in their workload to help you with questions.

my first industry job was a maya gig but I had only used max, did my art test in max etc. within a week I was able to pretty much do the basics of modeling in maya once i learned where the tools were and what they were called. knowing where  and why to properly put your edge loops or uv seams is pretty independent of software, and that is going to effect the quality of your end results a lot more than specific tools. a good silhouette is a good silhouette regardless of software etc. getting there might take a bit longer for the fist little while but thats totally acceptable. 
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Same here i was hired without maya exp. The best thing was they forced me to copy the shortcuts and custom tools of the modeling Lead and had to learn them sitting beside him and asking all day long the shortcuts for the tools i needed. After a week i was up to speed and started to create my own shotcuts and marking menues.

Try first to lean how the new tool is working and dont use your old workflows. You can fallback to your old workflow if those are better. But first you need to know the design of the new tool. For example in maya a custom shelf + marking meues + shortcuts are the way to go.