Home Technical Talk

ZBrush Limits

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 6
When is Zbrush crashing? :D

atm I am working on a "Hunt: Showdown" character, aiming for a "realtime" character.

I am saving my stuff via "Tool: Save as"
and currently my "Total Points" are ~70.5 Mil (1.85GB)

My setup is not "THAT" bad ^^

16GB of RAM
Intel 4x 3.4Ghz
GTX 1060 6GB
---------------------
Now when i open my project i got this:

now i was wondering....
- is my setup that bad?
- do i have to split my tools separately? like "body" "upper cloth" "lower cloth" ?

how do you handle that file limitation?

Replies

• oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Your system does not have that much ram.

But i would rethink first if you reall y need that much polygons. One 4k map is only able to store 16mil pixel. And that only if you would use 100% uv space. Take a second look if you really need the highest level.

And make sure you delete all undo steps on the subtools you dont need. 
  • goekbenjamin
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu said:
    Your system does not have that much ram.

But i would rethink first if you reall y need that much polygons. One 4k map is only able to store 16mil pixel. And that only if you would use 100% uv space. Take a second look if you really need the highest level.

And make sure you delete all undo steps on the subtools you dont need. 
    Some nice hints in there, thanks again, Christoph!

"And make sure you delete all undo steps on the subtools you don't need."

When saving via "Tools -> Save as", and loading that tool afterward, there will no history (undo-steps), right?
  • walter
  • goekbenjamin
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouch! :)
    its a fairly new computer, I had to make some cuts though.
    I hope I have some slots left to add more RAM in the future or are "more cores" preferable?
    Oh I hated that tech side of setting up a new setup
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Yep, been getting this warning lately too. Im on a gaming laptop so no super specs here. Check Skip  Loading under Undo History in the preferences menu, then store config and see if that helps.

As far as your polycount goes, I have one heavy model that chugs a bit but functions and I checked the point count. It weigs in at 90 mil. That includes a model that is ready for retopo. Meaning a duplicate of each subtool decimated for export to a 3d app for the retopo stage. After that I save the tool under another name, delete the duplicates and lower sub ds of the hipoly for baking, arrange them into groups for export to bake in substance. So your 70  mil doesnt sound too bad.