Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP][Environment] Greece

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
conflig polycounter lvl 5
Hi! I am working on a new environment inspired by Greece culture. 

In my previous work, I have tried to model and texture everything by my self. But this time I want to use as many premade assets as I can and focus more on the hero prop and unique assets to push visuals 

I want to create a mid-side level for a 3rd person game, you will be able to walk 
Right now I am using a majority of  assets from a "Boy and the kite" Demo by epic 

Quick scene sketch and reference images

Wa

Walkable area

For now, I am just blocking out the level and trying to come up with interesting composition and landmarks.

This time I want to post a much as I can so you guys can give me feedback :) Thank you!

Replies

• conflig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more progress. 

I was recently on holiday in Greece and I want to include some things that stuck on to me. 

For example the thyme (the pink/purple flower) it was absolutely everywhere and fortunately in the "boy and the kite" demo the already is a similar plant, so I might just tweak the color and leave it as it is 

Photos I have taken in greece

Or small "forest" in the middle of nowhere.

I still have some photos of plants so hopefully, I will be able to add them to the scene :)

There are some WIP screenshots 

• Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    I noticed in a lot of your reference, the grass is very light and yellow, right now it seems the grass is too green.
  • conflig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi. Yes I know. My main reference for colors are these images. I really like the contrast of  white stone and saturated green grass 

• conflig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally have more time.. here is some progress on the temple. 
    Everything is hand sculped 

• Go2frag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go2frag polycounter lvl 6
    This scene looks pretty good so far. 
    Could you tell me how are you doing those destroyed elements at the top of the ruins? I mean what is your workflow for destroyed parts. Are you just unwrap destroyed part and add tiletable texture and rest of the asset is trim/tiletable? Or is it whole unique uvunwrap object? 
  • conflig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go2frag said:
    This scene looks pretty good so far. 
    Could you tell me how are you doing those destroyed elements at the top of the ruins? I mean what is your workflow for destroyed parts. Are you just unwrap destroyed part and add tiletable texture and rest of the asset is trim/tiletable? Or is it whole unique uvunwrap object? 
    Thank you. For this scene, it is a unique unwrap. I just sculp the base weather damage and then duplicate it and sculpt the big damage 99% of the time I am using TrimSmoothBorder brush with soft circular alpha 
    And then I am using some noise for small surface details..

Also, I have found these awesome alphas.. These are just wonderful 
    http://archive.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?193982-Damaged-Marble-Pillars-including-resources

I often just decimate the model.. doing a retopo by hand is just too timeconsuming and not worth it for a project like this. 

Then I just texture it in Substance painter. On the screen, you can see I have one damaged block and then I have one basic weathered block.  and it is just copied and mirrored so I can you 1K map for whole top ring 
  • Go2frag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go2frag polycounter lvl 6
    @conflig
    Thank you very much for sharing your workflow. It is very useful to me.
    I'm using those alphas too, they're amazing :) 
  • conflig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok. Some more progress :)  Getting closer to finish. 

Currently I am dealing with some problems with a foliage and particle system. 

1. I am using grass from Epic demo (A boy and His Kite) and one of the grass types is causing a black flickering issues

I have found a discussion on google and this supposed to be fixed by changing boundary distance.. but it does not work in my case.. 

interestingly in this object editor the is no flickering. Anyone had a similar issue?

2. Particles draw distance // Fixed! (Draw distance need to be set up in Exponential Height fog actor)
     I am using a simple volumetric material and particles to create some volumetric fog

In particle editor the is a draw distance setting and it is set to 500 units. when I lower it works. but increasing it doesn't work. So I cant use the fog in the distance because it disappears in about 500 unit. (The are no LODs) 

The same pretty much applies to foliage which stops rendering after a specific distance. I have found a console command "foliage.MinimumScreenSize" which works but stops at the same distance. 

Is it a limit of the engine of am I doing something wrong? Thank you :)

• conflig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The tree from Epic was really close to one in my reference only the branches were too small. So I have just ported IT over to Blender and scaled the branches. Also I have tweaked the texture and material, original was too dark and different shade of green. You can see it in my firs screenshots. Here is already modified shader on both trees. 

Left = Original / Right = scaled

• conflig
  • Brain_Slave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brain_Slave polycounter lvl 4
    Awesome work! Love the sculpting on the modular pieces
  • conflig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work! Love the sculpting on the modular pieces