Home Featured Artwork

(Finished)(UE4) Studio

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
tythomas063 greentooth
Hey, everyone! 

Hope all of you are having a good summer lately. I just started a new project that was based on YuQing Wang's concept artwork.  I created the block out level to make sure all of the scales fit with the concept artwork's scale of everything. I created three materials for the wall and floor in substance designer which I'm becoming more comfortable with it. 

Any feedbacks and critiques will be very appreciated! 

Cheers! 

YuQing Wang's concept art: 

My scene: 

Lighting only: 

Replies

• tythomas063
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    Hey, everyone! Hope all of you enjoyed your weekend! Here is an update on my project.

Created the Trimsheet for the wood furniture in Maya, Zbrush and substance painter. Tim Simpson's video (Polygon Academy) of TRIM TEXTURE TUTORIAL helped me so much to understand how to make a Trimsheet. I created several material instances to have a variety of colors. It was a lot of fun to work on this. Please let me know if there is anything that I should fix with my trimsheet and wood furniture because this is my first time to work with this workflow. 

Any feedback will be very appreciated. :smile:

Concept Artwork:

My Scene:

Close up Shots

Trimsheet:

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    This is going to look cool. Are you trying to do the painted style, or are you going for realism?
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Exciting choice of reference. Lots of assets with a really solid comp. Excited to see where you go with this.
  • tythomas063
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    @Ashervisalis Thanks, man!  I'm going for the realism, similar style to the gears of war, naughty dog(uncharted and last of us), and Bookworm Experiment project by Vladimir Lepotic. 

@Jack M.  Thanks, Jack! Me too, I'm really excited to see how this project looks in the end. It's going to be a lot of fun to work on all of those assets! 

:smiley:
  • tythomas063
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    Hey, everyone! Hope all of you are doing well. I have been busy lately but I finally got back to work on my project more. 

I created the easels which I focused most of my time on sculpting the easels to give it more personality and add some artistic touch. 
    I used the trim sheet for all of my pictures frames. 
    I also created the canvas scrolls but I probably will make more scrolls to get some variations. 

Any feedback will be very appreciated. I will like to know if I am on the right track with my project. 

Cheers :)

Concept Art: 

Scene:

Close up shot of easels: 

• Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Nice work so far. The blockout is looking pretty solid. I think your edge highlighting is a bit too intense and uniform though on some of your assets. I'd try and break it up and reduce the intensity a bit to feel a bit more natural.
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    The easel looks pretty nice but is one of the less important elements to texture in the scene as a whole. If I were you I'd get more blockout assets in there, and even take some of the blockouts further along before trying to do much in the way of texturing. You can really push a scene far with just flat materials and lighting before baking/texturing/uving your models.

• tythomas063
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    Hello, everyone! I hope all of you are doing well. 

I got sick badly for almost two weeks. But I'm finally feeling better and I was able to go back to work on my project more. 

@Jack M.  Thanks, Jack!  I went back to reduce the edge's highlight on some of my props which look a lot better now. 

@Lucas Annunziata Thanks, Lucas!  After reading your feedback, I realized that I need to step back and use my time wisely that I should focus on the hero or important props first. So I went ahead to add a bunch of small props(rough shape for now) with flat colors around the room. It gave me an idea of what I need to work on and how to create the rest of the props efficiently. Thank you so much for your feedback. 

The statue was out of my comfort zone. I hope all of you like it. It is supposed to be a Temple Foo Dog Statue...I think? I'm not fully sure what the statue is in the concept art. I'm not completely familiar with that culture. So let me know if there is anything that I should change.

Any more feedbacks will be very much appreciated! This project is becoming more fun to work on! 

Cheers! :smile: 

Concept Art: 

My Scene: 

Close Up of Statue:

• tythomas063
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    Hey, everyone. Hope all of you are having a good day! 

I have been adding a lot of the props to my scene, adjust the lighting and post-process, and changed the props' placement for little. Next thing I will be working on is the box by the bookshelves, wood chair and paintings. 

I'm not sure if I'm fully happy with the blue leather chair. So please let me know what do you think of it. 

Any more feedbacks will be very much appreciated! 

Cheers! smile 

Concept Art:

My Scene: 

Close up shot of the chair: 

• TheGabmeister
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    Very interested to see the finished work. Keep it up.
  • tythomas063
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    @TheGabmeister Thanks, Gabriel! I'm really glad to hear that!  =)  

Hey, everyone!

I created the jewelry boxes and then I drew the ornaments on it in the Substance Painter which is pretty fun and challenging.  All of the paintings are Deferred Decal with material instances. I created the paintings in the photoshop with the "oil painting" brush tool.  

Hope all of you are having a wonderful day! 

Cheers  =) 

Concept Art: 

My Scene: 

Close up shots:

• tythomas063
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    Hello, everyone! Hope all of you are having a good day! 

I have been focusing on the environment outside of the room. The landscape was created in the UE4. I used the tree software, TreeIt, which is similar to the speed tree.  Although I only used TreeIt to created the bark with branches because it's pretty fast to make it rather than modeling the tree with branches manually. TreeIt doesn't do a good job on making the leaf card because it produces too much of overdraw. So I created the leaf card in Maya and put it on the tree by hand. I used the texture of the leaf and wood from the Textures.com. 

The mountain was created and sculpted in the Maya, Zbrush, and substance painter. 

Cheers!  =)

Concept Art: 

My Scenes:

Close up shots:

• tythomas063
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    Hey, Polycount! Hope all of you are having a wonderful day! 

I got some critiques from Warren Marshall's Discord that they were saying I have a scale problem. The tables, chairs, and small easels were too small. So I scaled it bigger to make it looks right. 

After fixing that, I created a bunch of small props(books, paintbrush, cup, paper, etc) and all of them shared a single UV map. I think I'm pretty almost finished with this project but I still need to add few more small props and some finish touches. 

Any more feedbacks or critiques will be very much appreciated! 

Cheers!  =)

Concept Art:

My Scenes: 

• JamesBrisnehan
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    I think the lighting could use some more work to capture the mood of the concept. The concept has a lot more contrast, both in levels and color. Maybe turn up the brightness and warmth of the sun directional light and turn down the fill light or indirect lighting intensity. I also like how the areas in direct sunlight are more vibrant and saturated, while areas in shadow are more muted and earth toned. Not sure how to achieve that look in a game engine though.
  • Kaine123
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    it seems evident that a lot decals will be an important part of nailing the final look
  • Kaine123
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/AZLGm

these before and after shots of the decal work in rage are a good illustrator of that idea
  • tythomas063
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    @JamesBrisnehan I agree with you about my lighting that it needs more work to capture the mood of the concept. So I went back and adjusted the lighting from your suggestions. I think it looks a lot better now ( I hope? lol). Thanks for your critique, James! 

@Kaine123 Agreed with you! Thanks for the link. It's pretty cool to see how the decal can influence hugely on the environment. I posted the screenshot below that you can see how my environment looks without my decals. I also used the vertex painting for the ground with dirt. So I'm not sure how I can push it farther. I'm open to any suggestion though. 

Here are the new screenshots! Let me know what you think. Any feedback will be very much appreciated  =) 

Concept Art: 

My Scene:

• JamesBrisnehan
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    Yah looking better. Still could use that saturation boost from the sun light. Maybe try turning up the saturation of the directional light color even more, turning down the indirect lighting saturation value (under the lightmass tab of each light's settings), and turning up the global saturation with a post process volume. It might also be worth experimenting with volumetric fog effects or post processing bloom, and see what that looks like.
  • halldor
    Offline / Send Message
    halldor polycounter lvl 6
    I think you could push this further by adding  paint detels on the floor table there is no way  it would look so clean. 

Really love your work don't rush to finish it even if it really good.
  • idli
    Offline / Send Message
    idli sublime tool
    Wow, I thought it was all paintings! Looks marvellous!
  • tythomas063
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    @JamesBrisnehan Thanks, James! I adjusted the lighting and post-process volume a bit further. Thank you for your help!  =)

@halldor True! I added a lot of the decals and I'm little worried to add it more because I don't want it to become noisier. Plus it's bad to have many layers of the decals because of the overdraw(from what I can see in optimization view.) Thanks, Halldor! 

@idli Thanks, Lola!  =)

I'm calling this project done! I'm super happy to see how this project turned out in the end. A huge thanks to the Polycount, Warren MarshallBiz Discord, and No More Grid Discord community for providing the amazing critiques that help me to push this project more further!  Incredibly happy to see my work on the front page of polycount!  =) 

You can find more breakdown shots on my Artstation: 
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/k4dPE2

Cheers! 

• RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Looking nice! I personally feel the lighting/post processing could be pushed a little further. (At least on my monitor) it looks fairly even and flat in the lighting in comparison to your concept.

Did a comparison GIF based on a quick Photoshop of one of the images:

And a larger image of this:

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
  • tythomas063
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    @RobeOmega Thanks for showing me the image! I can see what you're talking about. So I replaced the LUT and adjusted it. Here are the new screenshots. What do you think of these new screenshots?  Thank you for your critique  =)

@Ashervisalis Thanks, man! 

2019-09-25 19-04-10 from Tyler Thomas on Vimeo.">
  • Fizzly
    Offline / Send Message
    Fizzly polycounter lvl 8
    Nice work!  B) The only comment I have is the painter's palette. The paint (color) distribution looks a bit random . A painter would generally mix and blend colors on a palette. Like this:

• stefanWilliams_C
    Offline / Send Message
    stefanWilliams_C polycounter lvl 4
    Wow! Definitely going to be adding this to my 'inspirations' board! I adore the attention to detail, especially the paint decals! Great job! 
  • Karl_Eclaire
    Offline / Send Message
    Karl_Eclaire polycounter lvl 2
    This is so awesome! Great work! =)