Sketchbook: BlueBlankey

triangle
Offline / Send Message
BlueBlankey triangle
Thought this would be a good place to document model progress, if a literal snail in a marathon counts as "progress".

I don't really have plans for working in the industry, but I do have some animations floating around in the head, and will do what it takes to get them.

[all models are made exclusively with Sketchup, since apparently I have the patience to work with low-level geometry but none for software with learning curves]
Things I've been working on for quite awhile (but not quite finished)-

Replies

• BlueBlankey
    Offline / Send Message
    BlueBlankey triangle
    Starting new mech model, this one will actually be completed rather than being suspended in limbo (hopefully)

Old model just for kicks
  • BlueBlankey
    Offline / Send Message
    BlueBlankey triangle
    4th mech progress, this one will be a 'plasma' skid siege dreadnought
  • BlueBlankey
    Offline / Send Message
    BlueBlankey triangle
    More 4th mech progress, some work on the thorax
  • BlueBlankey
    Offline / Send Message
    BlueBlankey triangle
    in other news, making a consorted effort to get ue4 game happening, first one will be vehicular combat with entirely procedural elements (tanks, cities/buildings, roads, landscape, crewmen with procedural animations, etc.)

This one makes a turret of a tank based on parameters like tapers/curves/geometric iterations/ smoothing type and things, idea is just enough options to replicate real world tanks, then let the player loose to make anything in between (which means wacky shapes for the wacky inclined)
    Players will be able to place cannons/crew/ammo at any arbitrary location as long as it's able to function. Procedural movement of the crew to other positions in the tank would be nice, but may not be worth the effort, we'll see

render target based decal system- in real life you're usually not aiming for previous bullet holes, but for gameplay's sake armor deterioration will be a 'thing' (so low pen guns at least have a chance if they keep hitting the same spot)

parallax offsetting to fake armor thickness- still looking for a geometric alternative, but that may be beyond my skill level (looking at you r6siege..)

• BlueBlankey
    Offline / Send Message
    BlueBlankey triangle
    Lost in the sauce of the flying spaghetti monster

(roughly 1/8th of noodle mess, but spam isn't a good side dish with spaget)
    This one is the 3rd version of the turret generator with actual UV coordinate calculation. There are some seam problems between sections and isn't optimized to my liking, so I guess 4th time is the charm.

^ Delicious tracks. 'Twas the first time actually using function libraries to stay modular with the algorithms, and also writing out pseudo code beforehand; so I'm making the wild assumption that that's the way I should approach everything else.

^ Random variations, in-game they'll be based on chassis configuration and desired movement characteristics rather than random nonsense. They generate fast and update their suspension with little performance impact, so this one has a green light.

And also apparently the number 1111 is a magic number; to get framerate independent UV panning I had to multiply the track rotation speed by 0.001111, and also-

To calculate the external tangent between two circles, 1111 is involved. I figured this out by trial and error (because the internet wouldn't give a straight answer), so if anyone that actually knows what they're doing could explain why, I'd be all ears.
    [EDIT] there are some magic numbers here and there but 1111 wasn't one of them. coding is hard.

Also gratuitous mech progress

Faceplate, jaws with fang/incisor/molar cannons, banana human for scale