Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Unity] The Lost Shrine

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
MatheusDalla polycounter lvl 4
Hi guys, it's my first post here, i want to share this scene that i made for the latest Artstation Challenge, The Legend of King Arthur.
And also wanna be more present with the community, so i would really enjoy some critiques.
Video on my artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/XB9YGL
(Is there a way to embed it in here?)

Replies

• 7bajwa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7bajwa polycounter lvl 9
    Hello Matheus, Really nice environment and execution. I really liked the textures.
    Those webs are bugging me. Scene don't look that old as per the amount of webs are there.
    I saw you added some age to mat flag and other assets. I thing those can have more dirt and damage if its that old.
    I would suggest removing the webs. and adding some more edge details to the bench and tomb
    I don't know the full story but it seems like people fought for the grail and died. without bodies it is difficult to show so you added blood. Even skeletons would have helped. one died on the edge of the stone.
    everything looks pretty neat that the webs. there should be corner dirt and a lot of if its abandoned and hidden. even those torches will burn off. I hope you got what I am saying.
    Again I don't know the full story and I will love to discuss it.
  • MatheusDalla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man...
    I think some of these things that didn't go well together were because of the somewhat messy process I ended up doing.
    Here, check it from concept to the ending: https://www.artstation.com/contests/the-legend-of-king-arthur/challenges/69/submissions/48473
    The bodies and skeletons, i do really wanted to make en, but i was without time for the contest...
    The story I thought about the scenario is that it's an old shrine, sort of druid. That upon him was made this chapel. I wanted to make it appear that new things grew older than the foundation. With the cobwebs, even without so much dirt, my idea was to pass on the idea of being an old but still somewhat "pure" place. I think I was a bit paradoxical there, then it didn't work ...
    Thanks again!
  • 7bajwa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7bajwa polycounter lvl 9
    Concept it rather simple and you did a great job creating more lively environment. Just remove those webs and add few more used details to the assets. mainly remove the straight sharp edges. Story is fine it can be a chapel made some time ago. Webs, blood and massacre is making the story and environment confusing. I would keep the story simple and make the art awesome. :D 
  • MatheusDalla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man, but the cobwebs are so cool with the fabric simulation, hahahhahah.
    After finishing other projects, I think of making these improvements to it when porting to Unreal. Which is a test I want to do for some time now.
    Thanks so much for the feedback, it really made me see the scene with other eyes.
  • 7bajwa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7bajwa polycounter lvl 9
    Haha. I know the love for the work. I do hard work for it. Yes you can port it to UE4 and polish in your free time and experiment with it. I was not able to finish the challenge so made a thread on polycount. I would love to have your views also. Just keep an eye on it. Keep doing the awesome work and Enjoy!! :D
  • MatheusDalla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What a nice concept you choose, i'm looking forward to see it.
  • AdrianZaplata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdrianZaplata triangle
    Hey Matheus!

I really like this one! Few cents from me:
    1. As 7bajwa already said, the balance between the spider webs and the rest is little bit off. I would either remove some of it or work on the rest to add some age ;)
    2. I don't like those textures below, there is no diversity in the wall texture and it's too clean. I don't like the stones either, they're little bit too fake for me - I would work on it.

I really love the ground and ceiling textures you made. Were you using Substance Designer for it?

Good job!
  • MatheusDalla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot Adrian.
    1. yeah, i was thinking of using more dirt decals.
    The material on the sides, are the same of the room, i guess i made too much tiny details e didnt make large ones...
    i guess the main problem with this inside chamber is the lighting, i wanted to make it a very bright place, so exposure adaptation could make a cool effect, like in the video that i made. All this bright make the materials kinda flat...
    But yes, i really would like to make this inside chamber materials again, and use 3 or 4 types of stones on it. (It's the place that i made at last, at most hurry.. hahaha)

Yes! i did use substance designer:

• MatheusDalla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I made these other shots that i ended up not using on the contest, should i have picked one of those? (The ones with the character i was just playing around)
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    love the materials and layout