Home Career & Education

Dressing for Game studio interviews.

polycounter
Online / Send Message
NikhilR polycounter
I wanted to hear some opinions on what to wear to an interview at a game studio.

The last studio I interviewed at, I felt I was over dressed since while I was wearing a formal shirt and trousers with shoes, the interviewer had shorts and flip flops. This was one of the major game studios, I'm not sure if I should name.
I didn't get the position and I'm wondering if it was because I came across as too formal (besides other aspects that I'm not aware of yet)

I understand a portfolio is all that matters apparently, so can I attend an interview in shorts and flip flops if its more comfortable? I was also made to wait for over half hour.

Is this normal in the game industry? 

Replies

• defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    sorry to hear that it didn't go well with the interview.

Most companies I know don't care what people wear at all. You could go there in flip flops if that makes you comfortable.
    I don't see a problem with a formal shirt either. Just wear what you would normally wear.

Having someone wait half an hour is not nice. It certainly would be a warning sign to me. It shows that they are not that interested.
    It's definitely not normal in games industry!

Good luck next time!
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    So my take on this is that obviously, what you wear is not going to be the main reason a studio doesn't hire you.  That being said, I think you should still be presentable.  I think it's ok to wear a tshirt and jeans with sneakers.  I think you might be dressing down a bit too much if you are in shorts and sandals...just my opinion.  I'm sure there are people who don't care at all.  But to me, I want to see someone at least have a small level of appreciation for how they present themselves at an interview.  Shorts, sandals, bad hygiene, etc leads me to believe that a person doesn't care to take a bit of extra effort to make themselves a bit more presentable.  Again, probably just me but it does make a small difference in my book.  And, for the record, I think MOST of the people I have seen interview well, came in appropriately dressed.
  • TheGabmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    I'm not in the games industry at the moment, but I've conducted some interviews myself. In the beginning, I was surprised when applicants overdress. Eventually, I got used to it and understood that sometimes applicants are unable to determine a company's dress code at work. So yeah, just make yourself presentable and wear what makes you feel comfortable.

NikhilR said:
    I was also made to wait for over half hour.
    Did they mention why they made you wait? Maybe the interviewer was in a meeting. This happens a lot.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    slosh said:
    So my take on this is that obviously, what you wear is not going to be the main reason a studio doesn't hire you.  That being said, I think you should still be presentable.  I think it's ok to wear a tshirt and jeans with sneakers.  I think you might be dressing down a bit too much if you are in shorts and sandals...just my opinion.  I'm sure there are people who don't care at all.  But to me, I want to see someone at least have a small level of appreciation for how they present themselves at an interview.  Shorts, sandals, bad hygiene, etc leads me to believe that a person doesn't care to take a bit of extra effort to make themselves a bit more presentable.  Again, probably just me but it does make a small difference in my book.  And, for the record, I think MOST of the people I have seen interview well, came in appropriately dressed.
    Well the thing here is, that it was the interviewer that was in shorts and slippers, so I'm wondering if they really care to see me.
    Is there any onus on them being presentable?
    Also they looked very tired, so I'm wondering if they're being overworked.

When I was in the waiting room, people passing by wouldn't even look at me, so I felt a bit unwelcome, seeing as I was on time. Everyone seemed to be in their own world.

I mean besides making me wait a half hour and giving me no information on who was interviewing me, they also pulled up a resume I'd submitted to them almost a year and a half ago. It was really awkward, since I was left wondering whether to tell them, or just fill in what I've been doing for the past year.
    But in the end they didn't even look at it. o_O

The same studio once rejected me for a position I didn't apply for.

The interview was basically what are you here for, explain your process do you have any questions.

I received no information on what projects I'd be assigned to, and everything felt really rushed like they wanted me out of there asap.

But they did say they felt very positively about me and they'd call me in a week, but then I received standard rejection in about 3 weeks.

During that time they said I could contact them, but didn't give me an email to do so, so I added them on linkedin, sent a followup which still hasn't been seen. 
    For the moment I have written to one of the artists there asking how I fell short so I can improve. I was an internship position so during the interview it was made clear that I would be learning during the contract.

I was also not told if this was to be a multi step interview, like usually there's 3 interviews in my experience, pay being discussed at the end, here a lot of information was withheld, but I was told that they would get back to me immediately since they were really interested.

Should I write to them with feedback about the interview so the process might be better for future interviews?

In general my in studio experience hasn't been all too positive, like even with short contracts, there is talk of extension, then projects fall through, people get laid off, so I'm wondering if it has to do the quality of my work, or just the way the game industry I have experienced operates.
    Sort of like wall street, everyone is in super rush mode.

In many cases I have demonstrated I can do the work, so they are definitely getting what they need from me for the work they actually do. 

For this particular studio to prepare for the position I check out the work of character artists currently working and found a wide variety of skill levels, some have only sculpts, one artist I contacted says he doesn't know how to use unreal 4 and only does some basic retopo work, so there doesn't really seem to be a high benchmark expected of the people hired imo from what I'm seeing.

I'm not hating on the studio, I really felt we'd be a great fit since I'm a multidiscipinary artist and in addition to their ip they work 3rd party with several developers in realistic and stylised work, and at the interview I was told that they were very impressed with the portfolio.

I'm not in the games industry at the moment, but I've conducted some interviews myself. In the beginning, I was surprised when applicants overdress. Eventually, I got used to it and understood that sometimes applicants are unable to determine a company's dress code at work. So yeah, just make yourself presentable and wear what makes you feel comfortable.

NikhilR said:
    I was also made to wait for over half hour.
    Did they mention why they made you wait? Maybe the interviewer was in a meeting. This happens a lot.

No, they just asked who I'm meeting, I said the name of HR contact since the HR didn't reply to my email about who I was interviewing with, and they told me to wait. 
    Then I just sat there for half an hour.

Once at the interview there was no mention on being made to wait, just they said their names and titles and told me to start telling them about myself.

I really am not expecting a whole lot from an interview.
    Like my brother during his interview for medical residency was given a tour of the facility and taken with other candidates to a 5 star restaurant with 4 course meal all paid for.
    And this was before he'd decided if he wanted to join the hospital.
    And medicine is more stressful than being in the game industry, they still find time to treat interviewing residents really well.

• CrackRockSteady
    NikhilR said:

Well the thing here is, that it was the interviewer that was in shorts and slippers, so I'm wondering if they really care to see me.

Interviewers are generally not going to dress up for your interview, they're going to wear whatever they normally wear on any other day (clothes they find comfortable).  They're not trying to impress you with their snappy fashion sense, they're trying to determine if you're a good fit for their studio.  As long as they're not wearing rags to your interview I wouldn't get too huffy about them not being "presentable".

People can look/be tired for lots of reasons, I wouldn't jump to conclusions about people being overworked just because you think they look tired.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    NikhilR said:

Interviewers are generally not going to dress up for your interview, they're going to wear whatever they normally wear on any other day (clothes they find comfortable).  They're not trying to impress you with their snappy fashion sense, they're trying to determine if you're a good fit for their studio.  As long as they're not wearing rags to your interview I wouldn't get too huffy about them not being "presentable".

People can look/be tired for lots of reasons, I wouldn't jump to conclusions about people being overworked just because you think they look tired.
    But this is with regards to the game industry yes? I've had a good amount of experience (1st 2nd hand) with other industries and interviewers always made it a point to dress the most general interview standard dress code, unless they were in uniform, like in food or retail.

If I dress better than them am I a good fit for their studio? Like there doesn't seem to be a dresscode tbh, everything feels very informal. I just didn't think this was the case for an interview.
    I think it just comes down to the studio in the end.

• garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    I did that same thing like 10 years ago. I came in during my interview, looking like I was part of the Geek Squad for Best Buy. The guy that was interviewing me was also wearing shorts and flip-flops lol.

Maybe lean more towards casual-professional or formal-casual.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    I did that same thing like 10 years ago. I came in during my interview, looking like I was part of the Geek Squad for Best Buy. The guy that was interviewing me was also wearing shorts and flip-flops lol.

Maybe lean more towards casual-professional or formal-casual.
    I was formal casual, but they felt severely underdressed for the occasion, like they hadn't planned for the interview.
    Hence was wondering if they were overworked, they didn't even get my resume right.
  • CrackRockSteady
    NikhilR said:
    NikhilR said:

But this is with regards to the game industry yes? I've had a good amount of experience (1st 2nd hand) with other industries and interviewers always made it a point to dress the most general interview standard dress code, unless they were in uniform, like in food or retail.

If I dress better than them am I a good fit for their studio? Like there doesn't seem to be a dresscode tbh, everything feels very informal. I just didn't think this was the case for an interview.

Like Slosh said, what you wear is very likely not going to be a major determining factor in the interview, unless you walk in literally in rags and not having bathed in days.

If you come in wearing a suit and tie to a game artist interview, it'll probably be mentioned, and people will think its a bit odd, but no one is going to not hire you because you were perceived as over-dressed if your work is good and people like you.

games industry interviews, particularly art interviews, tend to be pretty casual.  People are not going to dress up for you, most of the time they have a ton of other stuff going on and they'll only be there for part of the interview anyway.  Sometimes people get pulled in at the last minute without even knowing they were going to be a part of the interview.

You are definitely over-thinking the dress code thing, both on your part and the part of your interviewers.  It just is not that big of a deal.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    NikhilR said:
    NikhilR said:

Like Slosh said, what you wear is very likely not going to be a major determining factor in the interview, unless you walk in literally in rags and not having bathed in days.

If you come in wearing a suit and tie to a game artist interview, it'll probably be mentioned, and people will think its a bit odd, but no one is going to not hire you because you were perceived as over-dressed if your work is good and people like you.

games industry interviews, particularly art interviews, tend to be pretty casual.  People are not going to dress up for you, most of the time they have a ton of other stuff going on and they'll only be there for part of the interview anyway.  Sometimes people get pulled in at the last minute without even knowing they were going to be a part of the interview.

You are definitely over-thinking the dress code thing, both on your part and the part of your interviewers.  It just is not that big of a deal.
    So it is an industry thing then. That's fine then. I still feel that this is studio specific. I'd interviewed with a Japanese studio once and both interviewers were in formals. So then maybe its a western thing.

Regardless, 
    I wonder if its possible to do something to make interview schedules more organised. I mean if you're being pulled last minute into an interview you haven't really prepared yourself to interview a candidate, which is why my experience felt very bizarre.

Its just not professional, like I understand the casual nature of the industry (I once saw a man in a lungi at a studio) but usually its always best practice for both sides to prepare for an interview, else as a candidate I start wondering if they are a good fit for me.
     I wonder how many candidates think this way, maybe its time they started to do so?

Both sides need to take an effort. Atleast that's been the case in every other industry I've interviewed at (or heard of)

• CrackRockSteady
    NikhilR said:

So it is an industry thing then. That's fine then. I still feel that this is studio specific. I'd interviewed with a Japanese studio once and both interviewers were in formals. So then maybe its a western thing.

That's more likely a cultural thing, yes.  

NikhilR said:

Regardless, 
    I wonder if its possible to do something to make interview schedules more organised. I mean if you're being pulled last minute into an interview you haven't really prepared yourself to interview a candidate, which is why my experience felt very bizarre.

Its just not professional, like I understand the casual nature of the industry (I once saw a man in a lungi at a studio) but usually its always best practice for both sides to prepare for an interview, else as a candidate I start wondering if they are a good fit for me.
     I wonder how many candidates think this way, maybe its time they started to do so?

Both sides need to take an effort. Atleast that's been the case in every other industry I've interviewed at (or heard of)

I'm not talking about some random dude being picked at the last minute to interview someone and knowing nothing about them.  Lots of times interviews take all day, with multiple interviewers or groups of interviewers coming in and out all day.  Sometimes you grab someone you hadn't thought of and ask if they'd like to sit in on the interview so they can get a feel for a candidate.

My point is that it's a pretty casual industry, including in interviews, and if you are expecting people to dress up to interview you, I think you are going to be disappointed 9 times out of 10.  

It has nothing to do with the company not respecting you or not "making an effort".  It's a fairly standard industry thing.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    NikhilR said:

That's more likely a cultural thing, yes.  

NikhilR said:

Regardless, 

I'm not talking about some random dude being picked at the last minute to interview someone and knowing nothing about them.  Lots of times interviews take all day, with multiple interviewers or groups of interviewers coming in and out all day.  Sometimes you grab someone you hadn't thought of and ask if they'd like to sit in on the interview so they can get a feel for a candidate.

My point is that it's a pretty casual industry, including in interviews, and if you are expecting people to dress up to interview you, I think you are going to be disappointed 9 times out of 10.  

It has nothing to do with the company not respecting you or not "making an effort".  It's a fairly standard industry thing.
    What about the bit where they made me wait and got my resume wrong? I didn't think that was very respectable.
    Like its fair if its all about my art, but then how are they getting a feel about what I'd be like to work with? 
    I wish it would have been a day long interview, or I could have gotten to see the studio so I can get a feel for what its like to work with them. 
    They were so tied down with NDA's it felt like fort knox in there, couldn't even make eye contact with people.
    Its why I was assuming it was a multistep interview when they said they were really happy with me and would contact me in a week.

I think its necessary to be professional where its expected and that requires some prior planning.
    In this case it really felt like they were seeing my work for the first time.
    It was totally disorganised. 

Its why I'm thinking of giving them some feedback about my experience to get their side, so we can work on it together for future interviews.
    But if they're already like this would they really care?

• CrackRockSteady
    NikhilR said:

What about the bit where they made me wait and got my resume wrong? I didn't think that was very respectable.
    Like its fair if its all about my art, but then how are they getting a feel about what I'd be like to work with? 
    I wish it would have been a day long interview, or I could have gotten to see the studio so I can get a feel for what its like to work with them. 
    They were so tied down with NDA's it felt like fort knox in there, couldn't even make eye contact with people.
    Its why I was assuming it was a multistep interview when they said they were really happy with me and would contact me in a week.

I think its necessary to be professional where its expected and that requires some prior planning.

Its why I'm thinking of giving them some feedback about my experience to get their side, so we can work on it together for future interviews.

I was responding specifically to your questions about dress code.  As for whatever else happened during your interview, I wasn't there so I don't know.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    NikhilR said:

I was responding specifically to your questions about dress code.  As for whatever else happened during your interview, I wasn't there so I don't know.
    Have you seen anything similar in companies you've worked for? I mean you didn't really have to be at my interview, its just what I experienced. Just felt unprofessional to me that's all.
    I was wondering if people have had similar experiences or if this is just a one off thing.

What do you think about the writing to them about giving feedback for the interview? 

Some industries I've been associated with have interview feedback forms for candidates to get a feel for how they felt about the process. I feel that might be a step in the right direction so there's that human connection.

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Just going to repeat some things about the dress code thing, people will wear what ever they wear that day, there is certain periods of the year you have to attend interviews almost daily, and you are not gonna specifically prepare or dress up just for that interview, same for most bigger companies in all industries, unless they are hiring for a very high position they won't specifically dress up for your interview, they might already be in a suit but it was not because of the interview.

I wouldn't go flip flop casual for an interview though, new hires usually try hard in the beginning and loosen up over time, so If I saw someone in flip flops and shorts on the first interview I would be a bit worried.

Remember that the interview probably means a lot more to you than to them, for you it might be a chance that comes once a month or once a year, but for them you might just be one of many interviews they have that day.

As for Japanese companies, I have both interviewed and been interviewed by Japanese companies and same thing there, they won't specifically dress up for you, but HR and people in general are usually more well dressed but I have had my fair share of flip floppers there as well, but people coming in for interviews usually wear a suite especially if it's their first job.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
     from the sounds of what you describe you were wearing, I think you were totally fine. 

for pretty much all the interviews I have ever been to I wear nice jeans, clean, stylish sneakers, and a casual button up shirt with the sleeves rolled up, or short sleeves if it's summer. a clean well put together look that shows I have enough self awareness to know an interview is a little more formal than the day to day, but not overly dressy. I have heard stories of people showing up for game art job interviews in a full on suit and....it's a bit weird.

and most importantly: deodorant. I know it sounds like common sense....but having been in some interviews and even day to day in some studios...apparently not. Although I was a sweaty nervous mess in my first game studio interview as well, but atleast the anti persperant was helping me keep it together :P 

in my day to day I usually rock the jeans and tshirt look, and sometimes in summer shorts and flip flops if I am feeling casual. I used to be pretty sloppy and wear tank tops in the peak of summer but It's not really a good look, even at somewhere casual like a game studio. so I draw the line at t-shirts now. 

I once hear from a mentor of mine about the buttons rule in the game industry and I find it kinda is actually like this:

artists and designers and most programmers: no buttons, just tshirts and jeans

mid level producers: polo shirts with 2-3 buttons usually

high level producers and management: usually a dress shirt with lots of buttons

CEOs and Top level management : they're so important that they actually cover all their buttons with a tie.

its a funny little joke but look around at most game studios and it's kinda true. 

as for the having to wait 30 mins, that's pretty rough, I have had similar situations in the past, sometimes meetings run a bit late and a lead has to jet to an interview but needs to hit the bathroom in between etc. I highly doubt they were going out of their way to be late, sometimes things just happen. 

As for randomly pulling in other team members into interviews, it happens, sometimes key people are out sick and so someone else can fill in, but most people are not going to dress up for an interview session regardless. there is a wide range of personal styles in the industry, such as people who are heavily tattooed, in some jobs that's looked down upon, but in games no one bats an eye. its just different culture than more professional jobs like the medical, financial or law fields etc. 
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
     from the sounds of what you describe you were wearing, I think you were totally fine. 

for pretty much all the interviews I have ever been to I wear nice jeans, clean, stylish sneakers, and a casual button up shirt with the sleeves rolled up, or short sleeves if it's summer. a clean well put together look that shows I have enough self awareness to know an interview is a little more formal than the day to day, but not overly dressy. I have heard stories of people showing up for game art job interviews in a full on suit and....it's a bit weird.

I think I will just keep to dressing the same way. I think the suit bit is overkill though for the japanese company it was expected atleast from what I read from other people interviewing there. And the interviewers were also very formally dressed.

What about sending feedback for the interview to the company? Like I genuinely want to tell them about my experience but I'm worried they might take it the wrong way. 
    Like this is the first time I got to meet with them personally, and I would really like to know where I've fallen short so I can work on that an reapply successfully.
    Fact is I don't think its my portfolio, atleast not this time, since they told me how impressed they were with what I had at the interview, and it was an internship position, so unless they were bluffing I don't really know.
    They sure sounded like they wanted to start with me right away to, so I'm confused about what happened.

It is very difficult in touch with them now for some reason.
    A colleague at another company mentioned that "it sounds like "company name" o_O
    Even glassdoor seems to have similar experiences, so there seems to be something wrong internally that needs fixing I feel.
    I kinda want to name the company just to make people aware, and also make a thread about other interview experiences in the AAA game industry I found to be unprofessional, like giving an week long arttest then not responding for 3 months later saying that the position is no longer there when the job listing is still on the site to this day.

Do they blacklist you as an outsider if you speak out genuinely hoping to make a change? Like its something I want to address so it benefits everyone. 

The dress code is one thing but there were a lot of aspects about the interview process that seemed unprofessional.

I understand that in most cases the candidates interviewing for a first job with a company don't have a lot of leverage, but its no reason to be unprofessional, especially for a well established AAA company.
  • CrackRockSteady
    NikhilR said:
    What about sending feedback for the interview to the company? Like I genuinely want to tell them about my experience but I'm worried they might take it the wrong way. 
    Like this is the first time I got to meet with them personally, and I would really like to know where I've fallen short so I can work on that an reapply successfully.
    Fact is I don't think its my portfolio, atleast not this time, since they told me how impressed they were with what I had at the interview, and it was an internship position, so unless they were bluffing I don't really know.
    They sure sounded like they wanted to start with me right away to, so I'm confused about what happened.

A colleague at another company mentioned that "it sounds like "company name" o_O
    Even glassdoor seems to have similar experiences, so there seems to be something wrong internally that needs fixing I feel.
    I kinda want to name the company just to make people aware, and also make a thread about other interview experiences in the AAA game industry I found to be unprofessional, like giving an week long arttest then not responding for 3 months later saying that the position is no longer there when the job listing is still on the site to this day.

Do they blacklist you as an outsider if you speak out genuinely hoping to make a change? Like its something I want to address so it benefits everyone. 

The dress code is one thing but there were a lot of aspects about the interview process that seemed unprofessional.

I understand that in most cases the candidates interviewing for a first job with a company don't have a lot of leverage, but its no reason to be unprofessional, especially for a well established AAA company.

Sending a polite email with some feedback letting them know what you thought of the interview process is probably fine.

I would not make a public thread airing your grievances with the company over perceived unprofessionalism, that is...not a good look.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    NikhilR said:

Sending a polite email with some feedback letting them know what you thought of the interview process is probably fine.

I would not make a public thread airing your grievances with the company over perceived unprofessionalism, that is...not a good look.
    I did message one of the interviewers asking for some feedback with regards to the interview, so lets see if that goes somewhere first.
    I can only contact on linkedin at this point since there is no email address they gave me.

And its not grievances, just oversights that should be addressed. A lot of people on polycount only get the rosy side of getting into dream jobs so I feel that its important to also showcase the other side to give them a better idea of what they're getting into.

Like I understand that candidates are on the receiving end of things and many times have to just put up with the way things are, but it isn't wrong to try and address the situation so that it has a positive effect on all concerned.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    If you aren't desperate for a job, I'd pass. Too many red flags. If you are desperate for the job, dont say shit, fly below the radar, get in and get out and move forward towards your goals.

Personally, dress code and uniforms usually exist for a reason. And for good reasons. Same reason I keep a separate office at home and dont work in pjs. If the crew is dressed casual, the ship better be fucking immaculate. Sounds like it's not. 
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    I know you haven't asked for it but I guess your portfolio is way more important than what you wear (and as others already suggested you where fine) - so I did a quick check and in terms of presentation it might be the real culprit.

Imo: I would seriously throw out all the weak parts and improve the presentation of the good ones. In my experience quality is more important then quantity. You have some great skills but you hiding them behind a lot of haze. Maybe make a thread about your portfolio instead to get some more feedback.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    rollin said:
    I know you haven't asked for it but I guess your portfolio is way more important than what you wear (and as others already suggested you where fine) - so I did a quick check and in terms of presentation it might be the real culprit.

Imo: I would seriously throw out all the weak parts and improve the presentation of the good ones. In my experience quality is more important then quantity. You have some great skills but you hiding them behind a lot of haze. Maybe make a thread about your portfolio instead to get some more feedback.
    In their words they were impressed with the portfolio hence I was called into the interview.

I actually asked the interviewers later about the portfolio and they said it was great. They had no idea I'd been rejected, so not sure what happened internally or who was responsible for the final say.
     I mean as far as being for a character artist internship it was certainly good enough according to them. 

I did get a few suggestions to improve rendering on a few pieces so I'm looking into that, but it wasn't seen as the reason for the rejection. To be fair they don't know why I was rejected and told me to just keep applying.
    I understand as artists we keep beating ourselves about this aspect every time there's a rejection, in the sense that its the only thing we can change. But there are several factors that influence the hiring process. 
    I've had art test's go without reply for months followed by "position is no longer there and feedback can't be given", to an entire studio get liquidated a few weeks into my review process.

The main challenge I'm facing with portfolio improvements is depending on who I ask, (and these aren't people I'm applying for jobs with just general artists around the internet) the critique is so arbitrary that the consensus seems to be scrap the entire portfolio and start over.
    A piece that's admired by some is despised by others. Its bizarre really.

Of course I'd be happy to receive critique regardless since I want to keep improving.

If you aren't desperate for a job, I'd pass. Too many red flags. If you are desperate for the job, dont say shit, fly below the radar, get in and get out and move forward towards your goals.

Personally, dress code and uniforms usually exist for a reason. And for good reasons. Same reason I keep a separate office at home and dont work in pjs. If the crew is dressed casual, the ship better be fucking immaculate. Sounds like it's not. 

Most I've done is asked for some feedback, though honestly there is lot else I have to keep myself occupied. 
    I still feel a dress code ought to be enforced atleast for interviews. Otherwise it feels like a frat house.

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    NikhilR said:
    rollin said:

(...)
    The main challenge I'm facing with portfolio improvements is depending on who I ask, (and these aren't people I'm applying for jobs with just general artists around the internet) the critique is so arbitrary that the consensus seems to be scrap the entire portfolio and start over.

Of course I'd be happy to receive critique regardless since I want to keep improving.
    (...)

This is of course up to you but you are here on polycount. Here aren't just general artists posting (or reading). Several of us review portfolios. 

Quality is always relative. Most likely someone else was better then you or they ditched, postponed the whole internship position.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Just to pick up the "he looked tired" part. I look tired too cause i have two little kids. No sleep for weeks. And a lot of co workers are in the same boat. 
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    rollin said:
    NikhilR said:
    rollin said:

(...)

(...)

This is of course up to you but you are here on polycount. Here aren't just general artists posting (or reading). Several of us review portfolios. 

Quality is always relative. Most likely someone else was better then you or they ditched, postponed the whole internship position.
       By general I meant not specific to the company, like I've seen a difference in the type of critique I get here on polycount vs what I get at networking events where I'm there in person, or its a 1 or 1 portfolio review. In this case the review is more specific to what the company needs at that time for any available jobs. 

For instance I've been told work is good for character artist role, but you don't have the professional industry job experience for a senior role which we're hiring for right now. So they don't dwell too much on the technical/subjective side and I haven't received any critique that suggest that I don't have the process down to make characters. 

Like some aspects I can improve certainly like hair for instance, but on a team you rarely work on every aspect all at once (which is what I do freelance) and I've seen new hires not having all aspects down. 

So while its great to receive critique and improve, I seriously doubt there is a 1 to 1 correlation between the quality of your portfolio of work and what you actually get hired at a studio and what you're paid to do as a service, unless you are hired for super specialised roles like the character artists working on the mech dinosaurs on Horizon Zero Dawn who have engineering backgrounds/work with industrial designers.

I try to take the best of both, a good lot I've had to figure out on my own though.

I find that much of the recruitment process seems to follow an arbitrary set of rules to reduce risk, but this is not always the best approach since you lose out on hiring people that could offer a lot more than just do what their told and leave.

I understand portfolio is king (but this is debatable if you actually look at all the people hired there doesn't seem to be any bar at all), isn't it important to appreciate other aspects that a candidate brings to the company from a growth perspective, otherwise I feel like a fast food worker.
      Not that this is a bad approach, its just that I could offer so much more by comparison for the good of a company.

• NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    oglu said:
    Just to pick up the "he looked tired" part. I look tired too cause i have two little kids. No sleep for weeks. And a lot of co workers are in the same boat. 
    Oh I just meant that I was surprised to see them interviewing in that condition. I'd assumed the company would give them the day to focus on the interview(s) so they'd be well rested to prepare for it.

Does your company give you sufficient support to manage raising children like child care subsidy and on site day care with less over time and shorter work hours? Like if coworkers are literally working with no sleep as a result of caring for kids, this is something the company ought to address immediately for the goodwill of its workforce.
    Like working with no sleep would affect the quality of the work you produce so maybe an arrangement to remote contract some of the work might be a good approach. 
    Coming from the culture I'm from, best child care is family since we all live in joint families.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I think trying to get a job in mainstream for you will always be a case of square peg in a round hole. There's probably some team out there you're gonna fit in nicely but I dont think it will be a big one.

Somebody like you is always going to going against the current. While you may not be good enough to get a disposable job at bigcompany, you definitely have all the skills necessary to publish your own work which will be appreciated by gamers despite its non-AAA perfection.

Searching for work is a full time job that seems to require a certain skillset and personality not everybody is going to have or want to develop. My advice: life isnt meant to be a constant struggle. If you feel like it is, change course. Find somewhere else to hunt.

In the time you are applying and jumping through hoops for jobs, you could be monetizing the time you are spending in training by making games and 3d content for market.

Dont wait until you are "ready" to make money from your art. Consumer doesn't know the difference between one thing and another. Stuff you hate there is gonna be somebody out there who loves it.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't read the wall o text above (so, shoot me). 

Every time I've gone for an interview, I've worn the same basic thing. Long sleeve oxford shirt, with the top button undone. Jeans + belt. Simple leather slip-on shoes. 

Basically, this. Except I'm not a male model, heh.

• YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YF_Sticks polycounter lvl 5
    It's really simple. Just take a nice/clean pair of jeans like in the picture above and a t-shirt. Casual shoes is fine, make sure they are clean. Shave properly, shower first and use deodorant. Trim your fingernails, clean your teeth. Basic hygiene. Put some gel in your hair and style it a little. Arrive there, shake hands and smile. You're good, trust me.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    YF_Sticks said:
    It's really simple. Just take a nice/clean pair of jeans like in the picture above and a t-shirt. Casual shoes is fine, make sure they are clean. Shave properly, shower first and use deodorant. Trim your fingernails, clean your teeth. Basic hygiene. Put some gel in your hair and style it a little. Arrive there, shake hands and smile. You're good, trust me.
       That's all good. Its the interviewer's dresscode that I was more concerned with since dressing the way you described felt overdressed compared to what they were wearing. 
        I'm just used to certain protocols when it comes to interviews for both sides, in the game industry the onus seems to be only on the applicant.
  • CrackRockSteady
    Btw in case you weren't aware there's a section in the polycount wiki that has a ton of info on all sorts of different topics related to finding a job including interviews
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Game_Industry
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Btw in case you weren't aware there's a section in the polycount wiki that has a ton of info on all sorts of different topics related to finding a job including interviews
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Game_Industry
    Thanks! I've looked through those topics many times. The info with regards to dress codes at the link was more generic which is appropriate.
    I just never expected to meet a recruiter in shorts and flip flops. 
    I wonder if they dress like that for non art positions like HR and management.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's easy to get stressed out about interviews. Don't overthink it. 

If you really want to be careful about it, stalk the parking lot, the day before. See what employees are wearing. Then simply dress yourself one notch better. 

And don't worry if one interviewer wears a suit, while another wears a hawaiian shirt. It's friggin game development. 
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    what o_O

i'd like to know, which game studio has a hard dresscode. like i don't know any and i visited a few.
    Don't be naked is usually the most common dresscode, but being casual is the norm, not the exception.
    i'd be personally weirded out a bit, if everybody in a game studio would be wearing a suit.
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Neox said:
    i'd like to know, which game studio has a hard dresscode. like i don't know any and i visited a few.
    Technically we do, as a subset of our harassment policy, but it boils down to "Don't wear stuff with racist/sexist/homophobic slogans." I don't think it has ever been an issue in practice.

In my experience, it's almost always the case that the less experience someone has, the more formally they dress for an interview. If you come in overdressed people's first impression is going to be that you're very green and a little bit out of touch with the nature of the industry. That's certainly not a deal-breaker, especially for a junior level hire, but it's also not the best first impression to give.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Meloncov said:
    Neox said:
    Technically we do, as a subset of our harassment policy, but it boils down to "Don't wear stuff with racist/sexist/homophobic slogans." I don't think it has ever been an issue in practice.

In my experience, it's almost always the case that the less experience someone has, the more formally they dress for an interview. If you come in overdressed people's first impression is going to be that you're very green and a little bit out of touch with the nature of the industry. That's certainly not a deal-breaker, especially for a junior level hire, but it's also not the best first impression to give.
    So a formally dressed candidate for an interview automatically has less experience? And for which interview, artist, programmer, HR, management? I doubt all of them dress the same way.

What is the nature of the industry? It seems totally arbitrary to me unless you mean the more stereotypical game developer dress codes which are usually unkempt hair, oversized hoodies with a general air of shabbiness.

Like that's what I've seen the majority wear in studios I've visited and many of these studios hire from local game dev schools so I'm not sure if there's a correlation there. No one seemed to have a problem with it. Desks were also extremely messy, junk food wrappers etc, sort of like organised chaos. I mean people are busy so probably don't get to make time to clean until end of the week.

Something like this (no offence intended, many of my friends dress this way too, I don't think it has any bearing on the game dev work they actualy do though. Just that they are pretty into the games they play so doesn't give them time to focus on other aspects such as grooming and wearing fitting clothing)

9:38
    https://youtu.be/IbXEBsLm6GI?t=580

There's more examples in the movie Grandma's Boy. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FCR4Jop8PM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ltORkYAdVk

Many employees at this studio seemed to sport this, like honestly they're not there to make a fashion statement, but I would never dress this way for an interview just feels unprofessional. Like maybe the art team would dress like the examples above, but there's HR, producers that attend might not, so better to keep it simple formal casual like examples from Eric etc above. 

An interview is meant to have a certain standard usually to keep things focused on the task at hand. Meaning carrying it out.  
    Like you're hiring a person for a service, that's what the interview is for. A dress code makes the first impression a simple affair. 

If they turned up in a suit of armor and had trouble getting through the door since their sword was too long, probably won't have time to get into the actual interview process.

And every studio is different, what Alex Javor meant was that usually across all industries there is a dresscode for interviews, which unless a suit is considered mandatory is usually what Eric mentioned up there i.e formal casual.

And how casual is casual? And someone in formal casual isn't inexperienced. I mean there are the sales/marketing nuts who dress to impress so they tend to go overboard, but that's kinda why dress codes are a good idea for interviews.

Like my first impression of my interviewer in shorts and flip flops wasn't inexperienced person (though I'm starting to think that given how the interview went) But underdressed for an interview certainly, and certainly didn't do a whole lot to instill any confidence in the company.

If they can't take some time to prepare for an interview, imagine working for them, going to be a chaotic mess. And I do understand a lot of people are prepared to deal with this for reasons so there's that. 
    If it were me, I'd try to fix that if it benefits their day to day operations in some way.
  • CrackRockSteady

Seriously though, read through the advice given here by people who've worked in games for a while and don't over-think things.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR, again you're overthinking this.

The interview in a game studio is basically to ferret out one thing ... are you someone we could collaborate with on a day-to-day basis without getting pissed off you aren't pulling your own weight, or smelling bad, or speaking unintelligibly. 

That's it.

Resume and portfolio were assessed before you got to the face-to-face. So it's not about skill, nor talent. It's about people skills. Self awareness. Absence or presence of asshole-ism. Comfort in your own skin. What is this person really like, and will they fit our culture. 

Over-dressing is one little red flag, that maybe this person doesn't get it. Looks like it's going to be a bit more work to get them up to speed. 
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    hard to believe this convo has been going around in circles for 10 days. i'll be over here doing remote work, enjoying the comfort of my underwear.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Yeah I don't think there is much more to say on this topic, unless you are interviewing for a lead position or above they won't even remember they have an interview with you until a mail notification pops up on their computer, and absolutely not important enough for them to go out of their way to change their look for the day, don't over think it.

I had a Japanese company send me emails for a year and a half to get me over for an interview for an Art director position and when I finally went the art guys still wore their casual daily clothes, and nobody cares, me included, usually it's the other way around they want to give a sense of freedom and fun, it's a game company after all.