Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Maschinen Krieger Hangar

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
DOPEMAN415 polycounter lvl 10
Hey party people!

This is a personal project based on the Maschinen Krieger universe that I have been working on.  Everything is real time using Unreal Engine 4.  I used Modo for modeling as well as Substance Painter, Marmoset Toolbag, Ableton Live and a bunch of other applications.

I put together a teaser video that you can check out right here (make sure you switch to 1080p!)   =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP2zHrS5VKA

LOL  I can't get this video to embed.  Please check it out!

Replies

• Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    I think it's pretty cool overall, but the hangar doesn't really feel like it fits into the Machinen Krieger style all that well to be honest. One of the most iconic parts of the Machinen Krieger style is all the soft, bulbuos shapes together with more traditional harder shapes, but looking at the structure of the hangar that's not really pushed much at all. It's mostly just a lot of more traditional scifi modeling with hard angles. Here's some things I'd change (unless you're considering this done, in that case feel free to disregard):
    1. The ceiling is very flat when it could've been pushed to be way curvier without really losing anything (except maybe modularity, depending on how it's built up).
    2. I'd add some big fillets to the hole with the railings around it, instead of the 45 degree chamfer.
    3. The round caps between the planes could use a softer non-flat top and maybe some softer form that echoes it in the concrete on the floor.
    4. The door could probably use some some softer forms, it's hard to tell as it's quite dimly lit.
    5. The lighting doesn't look very good. I don't think the lights above the ships looks good, it doesn't feel like you'd want hanging lights there and the field of view looks too small on them.
    6. The end of the video would be a lot cooler if you opened the door with some cool animation which would flood the hangar with daylight from the outside and then you'd fade it to white instead.

I don't think it's bad, I just think there's room for improving. Just my opinion take it or leave it.