Home Technical Talk

Blender (or Maya) - Zbrush - Substance Painter work flow

Hello everyone,

I've recently started Zbrush (1 week in), but I've been working with blender for quite some time. Over the last week, I've been able to learn Zbrush as far as sculpting methods and effectiveness of design. However,  my question is regarding the process of work-flow between all the programs. 

This is what my impression of proper work flow is, based off of YouTube tutorials, though I have not been able to fully complete a model yet. Being new at the software, getting excited and skipping a step, etc.

SIMPLE PROPS like crate / weapon / Hard Surface objects:
model
(Blender)
unwrap
export .obj
import to zbrush
sculpt / detail
export .obj
export original model as FBX from modeler (Blender)
import fbx to sub painter
bake the exported .obj (From zbrush (high poly sculpt) into the FBX with the baking function in Substance Painter
detail / paint / polish
Export as .fbx

CHARACTER or complicated model:
model (Blender)
export .obj
import to zbrush
sculpt / detail
export .obj
Retop in Modeler
Unwrap
export as FBX from modeler (Blender)
import fbx to sub painter
bake the exported .obj (From zbrush (high poly sculpt) into the FBX with the baking function in Substance Painter
detail / paint / polish
Export as .fbx

My goal is to achieve a sculpted look with minimal poly data, that being said, am I on the right track here?
Obviously, there are several ways to do things, but does this seem viable or should I be developing a better work flow?

I appreciate the feedback and thank you for your time.
Newfang

Replies

• Yerus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yerus polycounter lvl 4
    Sounds complete to me. I didn't get that 'bake exported .obj...' part however and the reason u need to export an .fbx from substance.
    One hint I can give u about inorganic objs is to sustain/bevel them only after unwrapping, that way u have better control of the mesh and it willl spread more easily in the process. 
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    This is what I do. Everyone has their own process.

CHARACTER or complicated model:
    model (Blender): If you are going to be doing the tex work in substance then there is no real reason to start in Blender. For the base figure you can choose zspheres or dynamesh.

sculpt / detail: Once you have a good base mesh unify it in zBrush and use GoB to (Blendtalk for a version of GoZ) send the base to Blender. With the recent beta and candidate versions GoB will work for scale but not position. In that case just work with your model at belly height to the Blender viewport grid. This is a handy link to have as all additive meshes after the figure is set up will come in at the correct size and position in both apps. If you need to you can edit your base mesh using tools you are familiar with and GoB the mesh back to zB.

Retop in Modeler: If you are making a game mesh then copy a complete version of the model, or merged parts if you are going to use selection sets in substance, and decimate copies of the highpoly/s. GoB the high detail/lowpoly meshes to Blender for retopo. There are great paid addons for this but the shrinkwrap modifier should do you just fine.

Unwrap: The retopoed lowpoly. But before you do, do a mesh check and make sure you start your uving with a clean base.

export as FBX from modeler (Blender): The 
    import fbx to sub painter. Yep, export your uved lowpoly shell/s as an FBX to one of your drives. If you intend using selection sets instead of a cage then check you follow the substance naming conventions for later import into substance.

Export the highpoly/s from zB as FBX to a drive, as above use the substance file naming conventions if you are going to use selection sets.

bake the exported .obj (From zbrush (high poly sculpt) into the FBX with the baking function in Substance Painter
    detail / paint / polish: Yeah bake and then paint the baked mesh/s.
    Export as .fbx

KaChing!!!