Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D Stylized Weapon : CRIT/ Feedback Please

DatsJustB
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
DatsJustB polycounter lvl 8
Working on a new model for a stylized weapon. This is where I'm at on the modeling wanted to get a little feedback before I start on textures. ( any Feedback would be great!)

Replies

• DatsJustB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP 3d Stylized Weapon: After a Few Crit, I got from some people I made some changes and started some retopo on the model.
     ALL "FEEDBACK"  is welcome before I move on to texture.   

• Mehran Khan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mehran Khan polycounter lvl 10
    for stylized weapons always have some sort of reference art to work off of . If you have one , than do post it here, other wise it is really hard to give any critique from these wires.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Should the pointy bits on the hand-guard face upwards? So you could get the enemy and not your own wrist? And the spiky jagged bits that are almost like an axe, I understand the idea is just to look cool, but could they be made so that they make a bit more sense? It kind of looks like a big can opener, not like something designed for killing monsters. The two points that come together almost touching, what is the purpose? Will some kind of orb-of-power, like a crystal or something, be inset? 

I think if you spend a bit of time designing a weapon for a purpose, and let that guide the design as much as looking cool, you will develop something even more awesome. Like maybe the weapon has two purposes -- wiping out minions with big sweeps (and the serrated sword side is good for that) , and a big jagged pick on the other side for punching through tough armor. But maybe you  want more than just a single boring pick on the other side, so maybe a big crescent shape extension comes out underneath the pick, and this part is for getting leverage so that you can pull the pick back out of the monster after sticking him.
  • DatsJustB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is the reference I'm was using to create the weapon  (old pictures from a drawing a few years ago) and two wow pictures to use for scale and getting an idea of how I can take the design of the weapon.  @Mehran Khan  

I also placed an image of the model when I was first modeling everything 

• DatsJustB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you are making some vaild points (im kind of rustys and getting back into all of this but i believe i should go back to the drawing board and rethink the design and building something great and cool thats alot for the eye opener  i can just use this as a base mesh and draw over it to creat something different more appealing.  @BIGTIMEMASTER

• DatsJustB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    base on critiques I got yesterday, I made some changes to the blade and handle feedback is welcome

Critiques: 

Changes I made after critique

• DatsJustB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its been a few weeks from the last time I posted but here is the updated sword model I change the handle and blade a bit.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Get to painting.  The silhouette looks fine, but if you need to add more to it, no shame in going back and making those edits.
  • DatsJustB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for not finishing this post job switched and moving set me behind on this little project I been working on 
    But know I'm settled I can get this finished up and move on to something new.

Here are screenshots of the  Model with the UV  and also just a screenshot with the UV's

Going to start on Textures now!! 

• UchiLT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UchiLT polycounter lvl 6
    I'd say you could optimize the polys even more, but overall its good. Good luck with texturing!
  • DatsJustB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here are a few screenshots of the handle of the sword wrap in red cloth. 
    Still working  but wanted to post some progress  
  • DatsJustB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made some changes to the handle of the sword.
    Also, I started kind of blocking in the color for the whole weapon so I can see it as a whole instead of working on one area with tunnel vision.
    I like the way it's starting to look  but I may change the color palette 

ALL "FEEDBACK"  is welcome thank you!
    WIP:

• SeekeroflLight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SeekeroflLight polycounter lvl 4
    I'm liking the handle. I do think adding some brighter highlights to the edge of the blade and a few scratches  would add more depth.  I think it's a good start.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Why use a soft brush for block in the colors?
  • DatsJustB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you ill keep that in mind as I continue to Texture @SeekeroflLight

• DatsJustB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why use a soft brush for block in the colors?
    hmm... Idk I was using a soft brush the whole time. 
    So I just started throwing color around to see how it would look as a whole.
    Do you recommend a different approach? (I'm still getting used to HP Textures so all tips and tricks are welcome )   

• DatsJustB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm working on the texture for the base of my sword I'm trying to go for a bronze metal type of feel
    I just think I'm not getting the result I'm looking for.
     Does anyone have some tips for me?
     I need a new set of eyes to take a look plz.

All feedback is Welcome      
    Thank you!

• Gumbata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gumbata polycounter lvl 7
    Your last update looks pretty nice. I would suggest you work a bit on the volume shading of your texture. Think about the big simplified shapes, how a cylinder is shaded and affected by light, a cube, a spike etc. 
    The brass looks like a good start, I would encourage you to use bigger confident strokes and not zoom in too much. Work from a far and get the shapes and colors right. Good luck!
  • SeekeroflLight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SeekeroflLight polycounter lvl 4
    I think the brass is looking a little off. Usually, if highly polished, it would look similar to gold, but with oxidation turns to a blackish-green color. Are you working with any refs of brass other than what is posted?
  • DatsJustB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
     after a little bit of thinking, I choose to change the brass into iron  
    so after playing around for about 2hours I believe I'm off to a good start but I still feel it does not look  or give the metal brush look 

I need a new set of eyes so I can keep pushing this texture. 

feedback is welcome.