Home Technical Talk

Nature ground materials - looking for workflow/tutorial recommendations!

tester1225
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
tester1225 polycounter lvl 7
Hi guys I do hope I'm asking in the right place! I have always wondered how to make those gorgeous looking ground materials you see everywhere - you know along the lines of a multilayered forest ground - mud, leaves, pebbles the whole package. The project I'm currently working on doesn't really need a massively detailed ground as it'll be covered in foliage but there will be spots that the ground shines through and I think it's high time I broaden my skills. I've done a bit of tutorial sniffing but I don't think I'm sniffing well enough as information on this subject seems to be all over the place. The closest thing I have found was Jacob Norris' massive tutorial on gumroad (called forest ground complete) but I just wanted to make sure this isn't some 'unique' workflow never ever used anywhere before I dive into hours and hours of tutorial lol! Anyone have any general workflow suggestions? What I'm aiming to make is a soil/grass/stray leaf/maybe a pebble or two sort of texture, and that would sit underneath some grass foliage and other meshes (this is in UE4 btw). 

Hope you folks can steer me in the right direction, thank you :)

Replies