Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Fallout Inspired Nuka Cola Acid Gun Suggestions

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Amank679 polycounter lvl 5
Hi All!

This is my first post in the 3D Showcase department! I'm creating my own custom gun that would live within the Fallout games universe. This is my first attempt at a gun and I'm open to suggestions and areas of improvement! Thanks in advance!
Below is the general concept behind the gun:

• The Nuka Cola Acid gun  It's a mix of pre-war and post-war elements. The idea is it converts Nuka cola into acid through a mixture of a chem you'd find in the game. What's cool about this substance is the acid to chem usability ratio. In other words, the gun uses very little chem and cola to produce large amounts of acid.
  • Also, the guns damage is based on what flavor of Nuka cola is used. The gun at a time can store up to 4 cola cans in that big circular drum magazine. 
  • To use more exotic flavors of cola (cherry, quantum, victory, etc.) you need to pay in bottle caps. Even for the standard flavor. The more exotic the flavor, the higher the price.
  • The reasoning behind paying to use the gun is because of its extremely high damage output. In the game, it's a secret weapon that's hard to find.
  • It's a fully customizable weapon. Meaning you can change how the acid shoots based on what barrel you have attached. So if u wanted to shoot long range acid bullets or rapid firing rounds, you could use a modified minigun barrel or sniper rifle barrel.
  • For optics, you could use the base iron sights or scopes.
  • The gun also is high pressured meaning it has some kick while firing. There are pressure releasing vents on the gun as well.
  •  You can add a stock and different foregrips for reduced recoil
Thanks again in advance for the suggestions!

Replies

• Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    How are you going to approach this project? Are you going to start with a high poly model or will this be a mid poly?
  • Amank679
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 said:
    How are you going to approach this project? Are you going to start with a high poly model or will this be a mid poly?
    So the images above are the low poly version of the gun which I'm keeping under 20K tris. Once the low poly modeling is done, I'll add high poly detail which will be baked using Substance Painter. Afterwards, I'll texture it using Painter and Substance Designer. Lastly, I'll showcase it with Marmoset Toolbag. 
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    You should also take a look at the proportions of the weapon, the bars that are holding to buttstock seem very fragile and the size of the rail looks very random. Some of the parts are shoved in instead being part of the weapon this might look bad on the bakes, take a look at this tutorial http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Normal_Map_Modeling   I also think the overall design of the weapon could be made a bit more interesting, I would suggest to take another look at concept art from fallout gameshttpsipinimgcomoriginals16361516361537950397a11564bf12a659bb6apng

• Amank679
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 said:
    You should also take a look at the proportions of the weapon, the bars that are holding to buttstock seem very fragile and the size of the rail looks very random. Some of the parts are shoved in instead being part of the weapon this might look bad on the bakes, take a look at this tutorial http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Normal_Map_Modeling   I also think the overall design of the weapon could be made a bit more interesting, I would suggest to take another look at concept art from fallout gameshttpsipinimgcomoriginals16361516361537950397a11564bf12a659bb6apng

Thank you for sharing this! I'll look into that!
  • Amank679
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zi0 Also, which parts of the gun you're referring to should be connected instead of pipeshoved?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is a lot of pipe shoving going on in your model. I would encourage you to NOT do that. The whole thing doesn't need to be one contiguous mesh, but having so many large sections just clipping into each other is going to make it a nightmare to bake textures. You're going to have a lot of wasted UV space and seams.

Make contiguous what would be joined in the real world. 

The best way to learn not do this, is to try and bake this, it's going to be a nightmare.
  • Amank679
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is a lot of pipe shoving going on in your model. I would encourage you to NOT do that. The whole thing doesn't need to be one contiguous mesh, but having so many large sections just clipping into each other is going to make it a nightmare to bake textures. You're going to have a lot of wasted UV space and seams.

Make contiguous what would be joined in the real world. 

The best way to learn not do this, is to try and bake this, it's going to be a nightmare.
    Thanks for the reply! I've since moved to a contiguous workflow. I'll be posting those picture here soon.