Home Technical Talk

Maya laggy slow rig problem

ibrahimarsl
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ibrahimarsl polycounter lvl 4

Hello I Created a character and rigged and finished rigging, working fine all controllers. After that i deleted base character mesh some polygons rigged character. after that i close maya and re-open, controllers are too laggy and slow. PC too much CPU using  (%50). I record video laggy rig and record maya profiler. Profiler file in attacthments on post.  How fix that problem ?   help please I don't want to do all this from the beginning.

Animation Evaluation Mode : Parallel

Maya version 2018

System: Gforce GTX 850M     Intel i7 - 4700HQ CPU

Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EwnejEQ6RY 

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    These are listed from least invasive to most.

1) What was tied to the mesh?

Did you make clusters out of verts and use them in the rigging process? Blendshapes? Clusters? Point on Poly?
    1a) Which skinning method did you pick? It wasn't Dual Quaternion was it?
    1b) What was the maximum number of bones influences? Maya defaults to something like 20 but realistically 3-4 works with 98% of rigs. 

2) Do you have any reference edits in the scene? (File > Reference Editor > Click a ref > File > List Reference Edits)
    You could have a long history of reference edits that is eating up processing time. ESPECIALLY if you choose to do your skinning in a reference. "Each weight you paint, each select you make, it'll be watching you"... You could merge the references into your scene and optimize your scene size to clear out any bad or unused nodes.

3) Profile your scene (Windows > General Editors > Profiler)
    Record for a bit while you're manipulating the rig and then mouse over the different boxes to find out where the worst offenders are. 
    More info on Profiler: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/Maya/files/GUID-3423BE20-0F03-422D-A05A-A1757C7B0A70-htm.html

4) Optimize your scene (File > Optimize Scene Size)
    This will go a long way in removing any bad nodes that might have been orphaned and are no longer working or . It could also break your rig depending on which options you have turned on and it's not undo-able, so save before you run it.

5) Change the evaluation mode (Preferences window > Editors > Settings/Preferences > Preferences > Animation > Evaluation)
    Depending on your CPU/GPU and your version of Maya (2016+), the entire process might be shoved onto a single core of your machine, you can set maya to use other cores and even use the GPU. Some people have had mixed results and had scene files go corrupt so back up your work often while you're testing out these modes. 
    https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/Maya/files/GUID-190D97E7-9AC0-4D67-8A07-1AF3A9DBAF15-htm.html?_ga=2.225017244.783472742.1562682208-1070035390.1483718772

• ibrahimarsl
    Offline / Send Message
    ibrahimarsl polycounter lvl 4
    Hello mark thanks for post, i added project file and profiler file.

Partially solved problem  
    I deleted base character mesh history and re-bind skin and problem sold. but still i don't know cause of problem. I want to help people who have problems and not have problems in the future.

1)The problem started after trying blend shape, maybe not relevant.  
    Rig connected Clusters,  no using point on poly
    I'm using Geodesic Voxel binding, no high number of bones
    Bind method : classic linear

2) no reference edits in the scene, everything default
    3) Added profiler file on post
    4) I try optimize scene but did not help
    5) Animation Evaluation Mode : Parallel (default) , i try different mode but no any change