Home Technical Talk

Does anyone here use a tablet for all their 3d work. Looking for suggestions

lockey1995
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
lockey1995 polycounter lvl 5
Lately I've been debating switching over to a graphics tablet rather than using a mouse mainly to save my wrists in the long run. 

Anyway do any of you use a tablet for hard surface modeling or 3d in general? 

I do currently have an intuos photo and had a go, I did enjoy it I think it'd be a learning curve but I'm prepared to sit through it. The only issue with this is that it's way too small. 

So I  am looking at getting something a little bigger, but I can't decide I've been looking at the xp pen deco 03 or I can get an xp artist 12 screen for around 200 pound. Something like a cintiq is obviously way out of range.

Cheers :)

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well, this is not a binary thing.

3D work being painful for the wrists is not because of the mouse itself ; it is because of some of the awful user interaction paradigms used by some 3D programs, namely the reliance on precisely clicking on pixel-wide screen elements and having to hold down left or right click (or even worse, middle click) to manipulate them. Switching to a tablet may have some advantages, but overall it can also make things worse. Heck, even for 2D work a regular tablet (non-Cintiq) can become a serious health hazard because of the tight grip most artists develop. Also, while a Cintiq can be cool for sculpting it won't help you at all for regular 3D work and might actually get in your way. Everything is worth trying of course, but don't assume that bigger and more expensive is necessarily better.

Now of course the above is not much of an answer. So, if you are willing to explore things a little, give Blender a try. It does all the regular 3D manipulation things, but also allows you to manipulate everything without having to hold down clicks at any time. For instance in order to move a cube around you can do things as one would usually do in max/maya ; but you can also select the object, tap the key assigned to "Grab" (= move, which is G by default), then freely move your mouse around without having to hold down anything to place the object where you want it - and then confirm. And no need to precisely click and drag on a manipulator either, as it is possible to limit transformation to a given axis by tapping X,Y,Z during the manipulation.

I should also mention that thanks to this system, there is no need for the cursor to be right on top of the elements to manipulate. That means no need to painfully click and drag on pesky rotation manipulators, and no frustrating moments caused by missing a click on a tiny axis arrowhead. And these things (combined with a relianace on middle click) are precisely what causes mouse pain in regular 3D programs. Getting rid of these = getting rid of RSI/mouse pain, it's as simple as that really.

Anyways - the Blender system is hard to explain (and admittedly not well documented), but incredibly efficient once one understands it. Embracing that kind of manipulation style will greatly reduce if not completely eliminate your mouse  pain. This interaction paradigm is in my opinion objectively superior (as in : more precise, more forgiving, and less stress-inducing) that anything else out there.

Give it a try. I hope this helps.
  • TheGabmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    pior said:
    .....having to hold down left or right click (or even worse, middle click) to manipulate them.
    Totally agree with your opinion on the middle mouse click. After experiencing wrist pain myself, I discovered that it was primarily caused by too much middle-mouse clicking. This was one of the reasons why I switched from 3ds Max (which is very dependent on clicks) to Maya and Blender. For Blender, I actually changed the navigation controls to avoid the middle-mouse button as much as possible.
  • lockey1995
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm currently on maya, tried blender wasn't keen on it at all personally.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well ... I'd be tempted to say that this is hardly relevant at all, because when it comes to important health topics like this, one will always benefit from investigating all options.

Now of course if you are an animator or a python/mel TA then obviously there would be no point in trying out something else. But if your focus is pure modelling, then I can guarantee you that the impression you got from trying it out is misguided, since the viewport navigation and hotkeys are fully customizable to fit any need you'd have and the benefits of the clever interaction system with no held down clicks are huge.

Note than I am not trying to evangelize here - this is just advice based on experience very similar to yours (ie : physical strain caused by bad interaction paradigms in various programs, especially Max and Maya), and I think it'd be a shame for you to skip on investigating an excellent answer to your problem.

That said using a tablet might indeed help, to an extent. It's actually very possible to use both a mouse and stylus at the same time for modeling - I did that for about 10 years personally and it has some benefits. It's just that it doesn't have as many benefits as using an interaction system that doesn't require any held clicks.

Anyways - good luck. You don't need a bigger tablet BTW, even the smaller A5-sized ones will work perfectly well for modeling.
  • lockey1995
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior said:
    Well ... I'd be tempted to say that this is hardly relevant at all, because when it comes to important health topics like this, one will always benefit from investigating all options.

Now of course if you are an animator or a python/mel TA then obviously there would be no point in trying out something else. But if your focus is pure modelling, then I can guarantee you that the impression you got from trying it out is misguided, since the viewport navigation and hotkeys are fully customizable to fit any need you'd have and the benefits of the clever interaction system with no held down clicks are huge.

Note than I am not trying to evangelize here - this is just advice based on experience very similar to yours (ie : physical strain caused by bad interaction paradigms in various programs, especially Max and Maya), and I think it'd be a shame for you to skip on investigating an excellent answer to your problem.

That said using a tablet might indeed help, to an extent. It's actually very possible to use both a mouse and stylus at the same time for modeling - I did that for about 10 years personally and it has some benefits. It's just that it doesn't have as many benefits as using an interaction system that doesn't require any held clicks.

Anyways - good luck. You don't need a bigger tablet BTW, even the smaller A5-sized ones will work perfectly well for modeling.

Ahh ok cheers, yeah it was mainly experimenting I do think I would prefer to get a slightly bigger one than I currentky have for texturing on substance etc. 

What did you mean by using a mouse and stylus at the same time? You mean for right click or middle mouse? 

Definitely the problems I did face was mainly right clicking and using the middle mouse on the two buttons on the stylus.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I couldn't even imaging how would I coupe with a mouse .   It's like modelling by gamepad.   Although honestly I'v never even tried it with mouse .       Mouse is a device for web page scrolling while you have a cap of coffee/tea  on your tablet temporally.    
     Also suggest against  expensive ones.   A cheap Wacom A5 is the best.   All those touch crap and side ring/buttons will only annoy you.      
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    gnoop said:
    I couldn't even imaging how would I coupe with a mouse .   It's like modelling by gamepad.   Although honestly I'v never even tried it with mouse .       Mouse is a device for web page scrolling while you have a cap of coffee/tea  on your tablet temporally.    
     Also suggest against  expensive ones.   A cheap Wacom A5 is the best.   All those touch crap and side ring/buttons will only annoy you.      
    Having 12 extra hotkeys on the side of my mouse is extremely advantageous in most scenarios while I'm working. I never have to move my hand from my mouse to snap any viewports in either Blender or 3DS Max and I get more hotkeys to boot which usually kills off ever having to move my hand away from the mouse during modeling, save for precise data or number entry. Even then one can have one of the middle buttons swap between number input and hotkey input. Same can be said about the extra keys on any of the wacom tablets especially that little EK remote for the cintiq. Anything that stops someone from constant hand re-positioning will save them some shoulder use for the future as well as elbow and wrist. 

Just because there is something you don't use or like doesn't mean it's crap those features are there for a reason and can be useful in reducing unnecessary strain and repetition for the user. Which is ultimately the goal here. 

lockey I would suggest staying away from screen tablets less than 16 inches as in my experience I find the lack of screen real estate becomes an issue when ones hand is placed on top of the screen. Like pior said the size you have now is more than enough and will stop you from making vast inprecise sweeping motions that can cause strain as well. Just keep that grip light.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I use a wacom comic tablet (I think its A5) for my right hand. I use a tiny cheapo mouse for my left hand. The advantage of a tablet is that there is nothing in your viewpath, they are affordable, transportable and last a really long time. I use the mouse with the left hand because occasionally a standard mouse click works better and more quickly than a tap on the tablet. The comic is also application sensitive allowing me to flip from one app to another and not have to change tablet settings. I always bring a number of tablets to a training, and yesterday a student (military) used a tablet for the first time, and took to it like a duck to water.

This has nothing to do with this post but: one word of warning. I don't think it matters much what you are using, if you are stressed, and working on something for extended periods, you are gonna hurt yourself. I thought all that stuff about tennis arm was guff, its not. Regardless of what tools you are using, if you ae working on something under pressure, force yourself to relax regularly, take periodic physical breaks (walk around the block or take a few laps of the studio).  If you are working in a stressed posture you will pay!
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I also don't understand why people so in love with tablets with a screen. You have a better view of what you are doing not obstructed by your own hands like it always is with real canvas or screen tablet. it's actually quite an advantage and you usually develop screen-tablet hand motoric almost instantly
  • RacePeaceDay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RacePeaceDay polycounter lvl 6
    Only for sculpt and texture. 2D vector and 3D polygonal modelling – mouse.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    For mesh cage hard surface, always mouse driven. Can't imagine utilising a stylus/pen alternative, an inefficient and time consuming case peripheral if ever there was.

@lockey1995 said "Lately I've been debating switching over to a graphics tablet rather than using a mouse mainly to save my wrists in the long run."

I'd also suggest that your issue is ergonomic posture, rather than hardware related...I recall a few descussions on the topic, might pay too run a search and peruse their contents which may prove more beneficial in the long run...
  • lockey1995
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I'm back from holiday now and finally on my computer so i can type properly, some really good things posted here so cheers for that. In terms of wrists I think yeah regular stretching and breaks is a must but sometimes I just can't stop aha. In terms of screen tablets with the above saying they wouldn't recommend a screen under 15 i sort of get in terms of the screenspace and feeling really cramped up. 

I would say my posture is pretty good overall my desk might sit a tiny bit too high but it's nothing incredibly drastic, I will have a search and see if i can find that thread.
  • ant1fact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant1fact polycounter lvl 9
    Another option might be to try an ergonomic mouse. There are two types of these, one of them is completely stationary where you use your thumb to navigate with a ball (A colleague of mine uses a Logitech MX Ergo and he's supper happy, took him two days to adjust from a standard mouse). The other flavour is a standard mouse with a twist ~> Logitech MX Vertical with a vertical grip the wrist is in a more natural position.

p.s. I am not a Logitech employee