Home Technical Talk

Nonsquare Textures - Chamferzone

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
jayantbhatt007 polycounter lvl 5
Hi any idea why do we export our texture in Nonsquare like  4k by 2k as mentioned in the screen-shot. Why?

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Likely because a knife fits better in a 2:1 uv layout than a square one. Note that you need to specifically unwrap your model to this ratio, and not just export your textures this way. Non-square tends to be better just because you have one longer axis and one shorter, though the more stuff you have to pack, the less this matters, unless you have some very long pieces that you don't want to break up. 2:1 also lets you step in-between texture sizes (halfway between 1024^2 and 2048^2), which can be useful for having equal texel density across props and spending your texture memory budget in a useful way.

Also the screenshot is either talking about an old painter version (likely) or wrong, you can bake non-square in painter.
  • jayantbhatt007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jayantbhatt007 polycounter lvl 5
    Bek said:
    Likely because a knife fits better in a 2:1 uv layout than a square one. Note that you need to specifically unwrap your model to this ratio, and not just export your textures this way. Non-square tends to be better just because you have one longer axis and one shorter, though the more stuff you have to pack, the less this matters, unless you have some very long pieces that you don't want to break up. 2:1 also lets you step in-between texture sizes (halfway between 1024^2 and 2048^2), which can be useful for having equal texel density across props and spending your texture memory budget in a useful way.

Also the screenshot is either talking about an old painter version (likely) or wrong, you can bake non-square in painter.
    Thank You
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool
    For me the square textures are rather odd thing.  Why I would ever do square textures?  Especially tilable ones  while in most cases you always have an obvious direction the texture would repeat most apparently.  A road, a wall, an edge of something etc.    
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    gnoop said:
    For me the square textures are rather odd thing.  Why I would ever do square textures?  Especially tilable ones  while in most cases you always have an obvious direction the texture would repeat most apparently.  A road, a wall, an edge of something etc.    
    Square texture dimensions are used because computers understand powers of twos and process data that way. While modern cards can support non-power of 2 textures many older graphics cards will not even process a non-power of 2 texture. On top of this is the aspect of mipmapping because halving a texture that is 537x537 or 537x1035 is a huge mess. 512 is half of 1024 which is half of 2048. 

As far as the tiling material goes, let me know when I can seamlessly tile something other than a square, easily in all directions.
  • Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    zachagreg said:
    As far as the tiling material goes, let me know when I can seamlessly tile something other than a square, easily in all directions.

I'm sure you could still tile procedurally with a 400px x 400px texture :tongue: but yeah, doesn't mip and what not.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    zachagreg said:
    gnoop said:
    Square texture dimensions are used because computers understand powers of twos and process data that way. While modern cards can support non-power of 2 textures many older graphics cards will not even process a non-power of 2 texture. On top of this is the aspect of mipmapping because halving a texture that is 537x537 or 537x1035 is a huge mess. 512 is half of 1024 which is half of 2048. 

We're not talking about non-power of two, we're talking about non-square. i.e. 512x1024.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool
    Yeah, I am talking about power of two non-square ones.  Why it's always an issue with them in content creation soft while we have 90% of textures  2048x1024 or 2048x512.   End often  not even perfectly square texel size for things like road etc

• zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Bek said:
    zachagreg said:
    gnoop said:

We're not talking about non-power of two, we're talking about non-square. i.e. 512x1024.
    Last sentence is where I was talking about that. Nothing wrong with 2x1 or those dimensions as you have said. They get used all the time for various things. 
    gnoop said:
    Yeah, I am talking about power of two non-square ones.  Why it's always an issue with them in content creation soft while we have 90% of textures  2048x1024 or 2048x512.   End often  not even perfectly square texel size for things like road etc

I'm aware. Again, used all the time. Easier to tile a square though in both directions.