Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] [UE4] Hospital Hallway

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
JoshGould_1 polycounter lvl 3

Hi everyone, recently I have started working on a new personal project. The main focus of this project is to work on my lighting skills, while also trying to improve my other skills. 

The simple plan for this environment is to create everything and then come up with a few different lighting scenarios. I currently have 3 lighting scenarios in mind, midday, night and maybe overcast. I'm still not 100% on them and may end up coming up with something else later on.

I plan on trying to post about this as often as possible to show the progression of this project and too also get feedback. So please if you have any feedback feel free to comment it, as it would be a great help to me :)

Initial block-out

• Basic colors to differentiate objects better from one another
  • Quick lighting test to get a feel of a possible lighting scenario

First pass on modular pieces

• Worked on the layout of modular pieces and props a little
  • Created a bunch of prefabs(blueprints) to make filling the environment out much faster
  • Updated all the modular pieces to fit the right silhouette
  • First, pass on tilling materials and trim material
  • Worked on the lighting a little more

Replies

• Cordero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordero polycounter
    cool!
    I would say you could increase the light strength a bit, to introduce more contrast.. it could make the image more punchy and interesting to look at..
    I read you want to experiment with different light setups, you could also try and define those setups like " I want this hospital hallway to feel creepy, like there are a bunch insane stuff happening in here " or " I want this to be a happy hospital, where people come to heal, get better, and find hope again to a full and healthy life " by forming these statements, you could also adjust the camera angle, contrast, colorfullness and other things so they fit the mood and feeling you try to communicate. An image is always more appealing if it communicates something more than " hey it's a sunny day, and this is a hallway " and also you could be more engaged in the making of it, by creating this hallway to reflect your own mood.. It might sound a bit phylosophical, but I think it's a good angle to approach an image from!

it's from a painter's point of view, but this video by Esben Rasmussen could explain this a bit better than I could, if you have time check it out!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpPJbHmCSZY&

this is an image I feel like shows a good contrast between the light and dark

good luck with the project and keep it up!
  • JoshGould_1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Cordero thanks a bunch! What you said makes total sense, I was planning on updating what I might do for the lighting and this will help a lot thanks :smile:

• JoshGould_1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, it has been a few weeks since I last posted so I thought I would post an update on what I have been up to these past weeks.

I have been working on the lighting a lot more since last time, I really tried focusing on creating ideas for the types of lighting scenarios I am going to do. For the main lighting scenario, I wanted to make the environment feel warm and inviting and have a sense of hope to it. I ended up changing a lot of things like the layout of the scene, camera angles, and positions of objects to try and convey this feeling to the viewer.
    I still haven't figured out exactly what I will do for the other scenarios. 

After spending much more time on the lighting I went back to working on other tasks. I finished off all the structural models and textured them, I still have to spend some more time on the tiling/trim materials for the walls and floors, these are also close to being done too. I'm almost at the stage now where I can happily move on to working on the props.

As always feel free to give any feedback, I would greatly appreciate the help and I'm happy to discuss anything.