Home Technical Talk

Using subdivided edges as curves…the better curve based modeling workflow (imho)

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
tischbein3 polycounter lvl 3

Ok I also put this here,: Blender allows you to use loose edges wich are also subdivided by de subsurface modifer, wich provides you with a curve based modeling workflow without some of the disadvantages

http://www.splotchdog.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=113

I’m using this method since some year, and I would not miss it. Mainly because I can seamlessly integrate it with other modeling workflows. Maybe some other DCC developers might be inspired to implment such a feature.

And btw these edges are not 2point polys, there is no dealing with additional geometry before rendering.

So its more of a paradigm shift than an actual technique.

chris

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i might not be quite understanding it, but it seems like regular subd modeling workflow except it shows end result ? even if its by edges and not vertexes i find it easier to edit vertexes, but thats just me hehe.

https://imgur.com/8HenhjG
  • tischbein3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The point is, you can use the _curve based_ modeling aproach (for example create a "curve" cage of a face from photo or a car from blueprint) in a traditional subdivision modeling environment.

Of course you can edit edges / point faces like you would do in traditional modeling. But one of the advantages I didn't described in the article (will add this) is, that using those edge chains you only have to edit one point of the newly generated geometry. In traditional subdiv modeling you would have to tweak 2 new points (extrude an edge) or 4 new points (extrude a quad)
    ....Wich (again all imho) makes it a faster process to define shapes.

And as said, one of the big advantages is that you can use this method besides your traditional workflow.

• tischbein3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok not sure if it helps, but I've added a video with the initial setup for a face. Unfortunately the screenrecorder crashed on session two, so there is only a screenshot demonstarting the mixing of parts wich are only defined by edge loops and subpatches
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    so If I understand, you make splines, and then just connect the points with a bridge?
  • RacePeaceDay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RacePeaceDay polycounter lvl 6
    It looks almost like NURBs modelling.
  • tischbein3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sort of:  The point is that these are no splines per se, these are loose edges (not part of a polygon) with a subdivison modifier applied to the object. And yes I connect them via "Make Face" (or "Grid Fill" if its a larger patch). By doing so these edges become just part of the polygon so no additional deletion is needed.
    The main difference to spline based modeling is, that you stay in a polygon based environment and can use all polygonal tools on it.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    A implied curve/solid behaviour but essentially an explicit parametric polygonal workflow?!

Which can be advantageous in terms of streamlining a freeform visualisation of the object in question, especially hard surface content, either working from refs or not.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Modeling a head like this is obsolete for the most part. Sculpt and retop is a lot more efficient. Fiddling around with verts like this while accurately creating the forms of the head is a throwback to stitching nurbs patches together.

Even production wise a clean generic base head with good animation topology is used to project to the sculpt mesh. 
  • Mink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mink polycounter lvl 6
    Modeling a head like this is obsolete for the most part. Sculpt and retop is a lot more efficient. Fiddling around with verts like this while accurately creating the forms of the head is a throwback to stitching nurbs patches together.

Even production wise a clean generic base head with good animation topology is used to project to the sculpt mesh. 
    What are you replying too?
  • ant1fact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant1fact polycounter lvl 9
    Mink said:

What are you replying too?
    To the link OP posted.

I would say most Blender users probably know about this because curves suck in Blender.
  • tischbein3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant1fact said:

I would say most Blender users probably know about this because curves suck in Blender.
    Yes its partly used by others, but no tutorial I've seen in the last few years  used it to the full extend (using it in combination with a subdivision modifier + grid fill) . And until 2.8 it wasn't that obvious, since you had to set the subdiv modifier to be visdible in edit mode, and had some downsides using it.  And since its not that obvious for users comming from other applications (where such geometry is considerd "bad" or not even possible, I thought it would be a nice touch to post this little blog post,

And yes traditional curves in blender suck...as they imho do in a lot of other applications..