Home Technical Talk

Photoshop Colour Problems

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Arno polycounter lvl 8
Hi All,

I'm working on my textures on my two different PC's and the same layered PSD looks different.

My first thought was to check Photoshop's colour settings but they are identical.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers,

Arno

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    See what happens if you disable color profiles, that'll tell you whether the data is different or not.

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool
    I sometimes hit Ctrl+Y  (Proof Colors) accidentally  to same result .  Check you didn't.

Another possible reason is   different    monitor profiles.  And one of PC has one a bit more off than another.  A good idea would be to calibrate both of them. 

I have PC and Mac both calibrated with same colormunki and see not a slightest difference.  If it's a same monitor for both PC  calibrate the second one without touching its buttons or just copy monitor profile to the second PC ( not 100% right but quick an easy)
  • Arno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arno polycounter lvl 8
    I was already aware of the Ctrl+Y ( Proof Colors ) I've should have mentioned I already tried that.
    I'm afraid one of my monitors might have a wonky format assigned that is the cause of this.
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    How did you make those two images to post here, are they screenshots, photos? They clearly look different.
    I don't think any color calibration from the OS settings or from the monitor settings would change the data in the pixels themselves, only how they are displayed.

Try sampling the same pixels in the two images and see if they have the same RGB.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Photoshop will save certain value changes into images depending on your color settings - it's entirely possible that's happened. 
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool
    poopipe said:
    Photoshop will save certain value changes into images depending on your color settings - it's entirely possible that's happened. 
    I always thought it does it only when you do "convert to profile" and  when coping rgb "grayscale"  into single channel one like alpha.  With default settings at least
     The later could be avoided with sGray  in gray color settings BTW.

Otherwise it really shouldn't imo
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
       I've not tested this year's version but CC 2018 would wreck grayscale images if you opened and immediately saved them using default settings.

And no, it shouldn't do that at all.  
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool
    Just tried it with grayscale 16 bit depth psd from Zbrush. Nothing like that. Pixel values stay same.
     But it seems turn 32 bit floating point  depth exr to 16 bit one when saving it from  Photoshop so something weird is still happening. Affinity Photo doesn't change a bit in comparision
  • gvii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gvii polycounter lvl 10
    Any chance the fill % of separate layers is getting reset between computers? I've had files change how they look completely then find that the % reset to 100 on their own for no reason.
  • Arno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arno polycounter lvl 8
    Yes gvii, that's it !

Does anybody have a workaround for that ?

I'm switching between two PC's

One has CC it works fine there, one has CS5 which nukes my fill layers.