Home Technical Talk

That old Mac vs Windows Debate

Hi all,

I would love some input from anyone that can share their experiences and thoughts as I look to buy my next machine, either a MacBook Pro, or I am thinking something along the lines of the Alienware 51M laptop.
I have for a long time been running on Mac, with IMAC and Macbook Pro, using Parallels if I needed to access Windows.
The reason I need to work on a laptop is that I am forever travelling and working on the road. I film and edit action sports films, and am in a different part of the country/ world every week. Lugging a tower and monitor around just doesnt work.

For the past 4 years or so I have been using a '14 Macbook Pro (16gb Ram, 2.5Ghz, and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M graphics (over 20k hours logged). I primarily edit 4K video, 3D Animation and just got a major VR gig as well as a big movie project greenlighted - the times of using a severely underpowered machine are over (thank god!)

So here is where I am at, with a 5-6k Budget.

1. Do I buy a new Macbook Pro, where I can sync all my devices, and transfer everything easily?
    Stats:
    2.9 (t-boost up to 4.8)GHZ 6-core i9 Intel
    32gb ddr4 Ram
    Radeon Pro Vega 20 4gb Graphics
    And of course, a stunning retina display.

OR,

1. do I put my money into a Windows OS such as the Alienware 51M, specced out
    Stats:
    Intel i9 8-core 5Ghz turboboost
    64GB ddr4 Ram
    NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2080 8GB GDDR6
    (1920 x 1080) 144Hz Anti-Glare IPS Display (not sure if this can compare to the iMacPro)

Apps I primarily use are: Premiere Pro, After Effects, Lightroom, Photoshop, Cinema4D, 3DS Max, Unity.

One issue I see with switching windows is that things are going to sync between computers/ my wife’s calendar and computer. Money wise though, it looks I can get double the performance (upgradable by the way) on the Alienware 51, but after being on mac so long, I get paranoid about things such as reliability, security (viruses etc) on the Windows OS.

Does anyone have any insight/ personal experience with either machine, or making the switch? Where would you put your money?

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    I'm curious, why Alienware as a WIN option?
  • BadBilly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi said:
    I'm not overly familiar with high performance Windows Laptops. After research, Alienware seemed to me an obvious contender as it is 1) Made by Dell, 2) Has some amazing specs for a laptop 3) is completely upgradable, 4) looks really freakin' cool. That said, I am definitely open to any other options. In the end, I have 5-6k budget set aside for a new laptop as my main workstation. 
    I favor Mac and Mac OS, but if I am spending 5K+, and get get double the performance for the same budget in a Win system, then I am going to consider it. My biggest concern is reliability. I used to work in a Lenovo service centre and the PC's that came in with issues was ridiculous. The amount of people who would say "I should have gone mac" is insane. My Macbook pro has done 20k+ hours and never had a major issue, still has the same benchmark as new.  
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Well, I currently run three Macs - a Mac Pro Trashcan, and MBP and a Mini - and one lone Windows box just because that happens to be more convenient for a few 3D tools. You could say I have a preference. ;)

Still I would not touch the current MBP (2016 model and newer):
    - the keyboard feel went from best in class in the older models to... fairly rubbish. Bravo, Apple, quite the achievement!
    - the keyboard is well known as a common source of hardware failure as soon as dust builds up even in the newest models
    - no function keys anymore but a gimmicky touchbar
    - the trackpad is humongous now, meaning depending on how you place your hands you can end up with a lot of accidental input
    - the laptop's case is known to be basically last years design they are struggling to adapt to new, hot running components. New case design is incoming I believe (perhaps even this year)
    - lots of problems being reported about the current T2 chip. Seems like picking up a machine with these means you are beta testing Apple's custom chip designs and software integration - and it's early days. Kernel panic time!
    - lack of useful ports all around. If you want to be mobile you'll need to carry dongles because common sense USB-A ports are nowhere to be found
    - no Magsafe anymore. That thing is actually a life safer for laptops and was another genuine best-in-class feature. Instead you'll have USB-C. These plugs are tiny and fragile. I must know - just broke one the other day when yanking a cable out of something.
    - no aftermarket hardware upgrades anymore either but I suppose you are aware of that

I believe the current MBPs are devices destined to fail rather soon. Too fragile and some questionable design choices, compromises made. If you do decide to go with one, better factor Apple Care into the total (and sell the machine when that expires).

Personally I'd recommend a split of tasks - a Mac for everything that isn't 3D , including web, video, personal data. etc.
    For 3D just go with a PC. Keep it off the 'net as far as possible, keep personal data away from it and it's smooth sailing for the most part.

• BadBilly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp said:
    Personally I'd recommend a split of tasks - a Mac for everything that isn't 3D , including web, video, personal data. etc.
    For 3D just go with a PC. Keep it off the 'net as far as possible, keep personal data away from it and it's smooth sailing for the most part.

While that sounds ideal, I dont really want to be carrying around 2 computers. That said, my wife needs a new laptop also, maybe a new macbook air might be best to keep personal stuff on. 

I wasn't aware that the new MBP's where a bit under par in terms of build, but I know a mac with the same specs as a windows will in most cases run faster, as the hardware is built for mac and not by a third party. What are your thoughts on the specs above - should I stick with the safe MacOS/ or get the specced up Windows? (if you had to pick ONE)?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    BadBilly said:
    What are your thoughts on the specs above - should I stick with the safe MacOS/ or get the specced up Windows? (if you had to pick ONE)?
    I would get a Windows machine for work strictly. Sadly no point in getting a computer that has the headache already built in. You might want to check out a site like macrumors.com and ask about the MBP hardware you have in mind over there and look for the threads reporting issues.

I'd also recommend visiting a store and comparing the keyboard of the current one with the model you have. I did that and was quite shocked how bad the new one felt. From a heureka moment of the 'oh - so laptop keyboards don't have to be shitty after all'! with the older chiclet model I went to 'how am I supposed to type on this cr*p?'. As said, quite the achievement...

I'm not sure about specs since I only ever look at hardware when I need to buy something myself, sorry. My focus with the Windows machine would be the available support level. If you have to travel and depend on the thing then better invest in whatever same/next-day replacement service that is available.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

BadBilly said:

sacboi said:

I'm not overly familiar with high performance Windows Laptops. After research, Alienware seemed to me an obvious contender as it is 1) Made by Dell, 2) Has some amazing specs for a laptop 3) is completely upgradable, 4) looks really freakin' cool. That said, I am definitely open to any other options. In the end, I have 5-6k budget set aside for a new laptop as my main workstation. 
    I favor Mac and Mac OS, but if I am spending 5K+, and get get double the performance for the same budget in a Win system, then I am going to consider it. My biggest concern is reliability. I used to work in a Lenovo service centre and the PC's that came in with issues was ridiculous. The amount of people who would say "I should have gone mac" is insane. My Macbook pro has done 20k+ hours and never had a major issue, still has the same benchmark as new.

Ah...interesting, just helps to get another point of view. I'm relatively in a similar boat, currently researching whether to go fully 'mobile' or indeed self-assemble a total workstation desktop upgrade too WIN10 pro once MS pulls 7 support in the new year. My 'day' job as a security operative for asset protection on major infrastructure projects Australia wide which by the way basically dictates a kind of transient lifestyle, where work typically relocates every so often and may again, westwards 3000 miles in the 2nd quarter 2020. So as preparation for a potential move, at the moment for a portable high end solution I've narrowed in on either an MSI GT-75 Titan or Alienware's 'area 51' package, both share aligned benchmarks however the latter rated higher performance values and of course is scalable...for me a big plus, although MSI wins out on pricing by 2k, at AUD$5k as opposed AUD$7.2k for the 51M that incidentally is slightly over the budget I'd initially allocated for a self built system. Anyway there's practically a year left to further ponder both options, (...laptop v desktop) prior to finalising a decision that encapsulates a viable choice for my specific situation.   

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlienWare Area-51M
    They are both under-powered and overpriced for what they are, but that's the price you pay for those brands.

Personally if I had to go mobile, I would go for the MSI gt75 titan 4k-247 ($4,400-ish)
    i9 9980HK (8 cores)
    64gb RAM (up-to 128)
    512 GB (2x) SSD (raid for speed)
    1 TB HDD (platter drive for storage)

The cooling in the MSI laptop case is amazing. I wouldn't trust anything that high powered to a thinner case that doesn't have proper airflow and cooling.

That's one area that Mac is still suffering, they'll melt their cases and damage their hardware, long before they'll ever give into conventional logic. Somehow wafer thin design is king above all else...

The faster you burn your fingertips off the faster you buy a new Macbook?

It's as close as you can get to a desktop while still technically being mobile.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool
    I only have macmini beyond my main desktop pc monster . It's basically a  useless toy  but macOS is definitely much  simpler to use and more convenient in general than W10.     Microsoft seems has a never ending quest  of   how to make extra pain in the a.. to its users. 
    It was tolerable once  when it was w7 together with Listary   and a few other utilities.  Now Listary is hardly working.  Black interface even worse than default blinding white one.  Gray colored "contrast" theme which was a savior before works with glitches now.    Wacom fights with ink features or something.  It regularly switches to tablet mode on it's own.    W7 has so nice and simple "import pictures and videos" tool and now it's a  monstrously inconvenient "photo" app.  And so on an on.    
    I would switch to Mac in a heart bit  but so many critical tools are not working there and vido-cards are junk.

• BadBilly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They are both under-powered and overpriced for what they are, but that's the price you pay for those brands.

Personally if I had to go mobile, I would go for the MSI gt75 titan 4k-247 ($4,400-ish)
    i9 9980HK (8 cores)
    64gb RAM (up-to 128)
    512 GB (2x) SSD (raid for speed)
    1 TB HDD (platter drive for storage)

The cooling in the MSI laptop case is amazing. I wouldn't trust anything that high powered to a thinner case that doesn't have proper airflow and cooling.

That's one area that Mac is still suffering, they'll melt their cases and damage their hardware, long before they'll ever give into conventional logic. Somehow wafer thin design is king above all else...

The faster you burn your fingertips off the faster you buy a new Macbook?

It's as close as you can get to a desktop while still technically being mobile.

Thanks - the MSI Titan looks like an incredible machine and I think just look the lead in the shopping list. 
    Your right about the heat on a MBP - My fans constantly spin at 6150rpm, and if im doing a heavy project, have to sit iceblocks under the chassi to keep it operating at a normal speed. 

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    The last couple of laptops I've bought have all been ASUS Republic Of Gamers laptops. They're a bit cheaper than Alienware and I've found them to have better features.

https://rog.asus.com/
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlienWare Area-51M
    Beware the fans on MSI laptops seem to die early deaths. I have a MSI, the GT62VR Dominator-087 15.6" i7-6700HQ GTX 1070. It's a great box, but three years old now and the fans are dead. Have to use external cooling. Otherwise a decent 3d laptop. 
  • janoshx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    janoshx polycounter lvl 6
    AlienWare Area-51M
    even that i voted for Alienware i would recommend to get best 2013 macbook pro with nvidia 750m laptop... all macbookpros after that are garbage... for pc laptop i would recommend acer predator triton 700...
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    AlienWare Area-51M
    Beware the fans on MSI laptops seem to die early deaths. I have a MSI, the GT62VR Dominator-087 15.6" i7-6700HQ GTX 1070. It's a great box, but three years old now and the fans are dead. Have to use external cooling. Otherwise a decent 3d laptop. 

I still have an MSI GT67 from 2012. I abuse it pretty good. Take it to teach once a week, take it to coffee shops, and take it with me on vacations. I cracked the keyboard, MSI took a couple weeks to repair and return. Recommend MSI very much!
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Perhaps some more things to look out for when coming from a Macbook:
    - Screen quality
    - Keyboard feel and backlight feature
    - feel and size of trackpad (and can you configure trackpads under Windows for gestures, multi-touch and tap-to-click/right click)?
    - also if you are going to keep the thing for years - how well does the case wear? Not a scratch and smudge magnet by any chance? Does the hinge withstand daily use? No vents placed so that hot hair is blown right at you?

These are all things you'd take for granted - at least with the older types of MBP's - but I remember them as mostly horrible on the Windows laptops I had occasionally used before.

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@Eric Chadwick...wondering whether the thermal issue was due too either gaming, content creation or other?

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I don't get it, you mention overpriced and then recommend a $4,400 laptop. Lol wut. Any laptop at $4,400 is by its very nature ridiculous and overpriced.

To the OP: I think that Alienware is probably fine, but you don't need to crank all the upgrades to 11 to get a solid workstation. For instance, the 9900K is only a little faster than the 9700K (16%), and while the 8700K isn't ultra high end, it is still a very, very fast CPU. You could leave that at stock and save $450, or opt for the fairly reasonable +$100 9700 instead. The 9700 and 9900 are notorious for running hot as well, which may be a problem with battery life and heat management in a laptop form factor.

The GTX 2060 is an excellent GPU, paying $1,050 for the 2080, which is a whopping.... wait for it... 19% faster, seems a bit excessive. The 2070 is an awesome card that is almost as fast as the 2080 (the 2080 is 9% faster) with the same amount of VRAM if you really need to splurge.

Look into adding aftermarket ram, if you can do that, you'll probably save hundreds of dollars by keeping the ram at the base specs and buying your own.

Depending on whether your most frequent apps rely more on CPU or GPU, you could go heavier on the upgrades there rather than both. It's also worth researching how well the apps you use handle multi-threading. Many apps are only really optimized for dual core CPUs, so getting a 8 core CPU may not be very helpful. If you're working with apps that can't thread with all of your cores, you'll see no performance benefit with the 9700 or 9900 vs the 6-core 8700. That said, video editing/encoding is one of the few things that generally makes use of all CPU cores, so this may be moot for you.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlienWare Area-51M
    sacboi said:

@Eric Chadwick...wondering whether the thermal issue was due too either gaming, content creation or other?

Used it for both though gaming of course is more thermal stress. 
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlienWare Area-51M
    I don't get it, you mention overpriced and then recommend a $4,400 laptop. Lol wut. Any laptop at $4,400 is by its very nature ridiculous and overpriced.
    Yeah that's a fair call out.

I mentioned it because it was nearly identical specs but $500 cheaper than the Alienware. You're pretty much paying extra for the brand and worse cooling. 

Personally I don't have a need for mobility so I'll always go desktop, build moderately and upgrade over time, but OP doesn't have that same level of luxury.

You made a solid point about the RAM. Provided you can get some off the shelf that works. Sometimes the manufacture pulls a dick move, like design the slots, pin configuration or case in a way that it will only work with their proprietary hardware (looking at you Apple, HP, Dell...).

Sometimes they're dicks that way and they force you to go through them for upgrades, or you have to pull some dicey stuff on your own. You could end up paying more and in some cases have to send it in which might be weeks of downtime while they get around to it.

I would really research the RAM and make sure it's a possibility before taking that route, if it's a viable route and they don't screw you, awesome.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Eric Chadwick said:

sacboi said:

Used it for both though gaming of course is more thermal stress. 

Yep stands to reason. Just from a few search results so far there seems to be a concerted effort to mitigate a longer 'shelf life' for this gen's form factor, demonstrated via 4hr+ gaming sessions bench tested both prior and post for the MSI GT75 Titan 8RG. 

Case thermal temps peaked between 57°C - 98°C with no noticeable throttling whilst rendering 70fps at 4k res. Although the triple fan configuration will run fast on their own but can run faster by pressing the CoolerBoost button also in combination with a dedicated CPU / GPU heat sink solution by way of 9 heat pipes however bears keeping in mind higher the settings playing, for example Farcry, ROTR, Whitcher, CoD...etc, the noisier things get.

So I'd think probably worth investing in a comparable high end headset too enjoy an immersive 3D surround sound experience, minus the background racket of course :P