Home Technical Talk

3DS Max. Baking normal map. Miss ray randomly pixels on high poly mesh.

corthus
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
corthus polycounter lvl 2
Hello. I have a problem. After i try use 3ds max baking option to get a normal map, to my low poly model form high poly model, i got some baking errors. When i start render to texture, my render window shows me miss rays on my normal map (the red dots). I have tried adjust a cage on my low poly model and i got good looking normal map, besides that randomly miss pixels on my map (but they are visible only if u zoom normal map very close). I know that i can turn off miss ray check and i do that, but during the baking process, baker replaces that miss ray pixels using color from my normal map, but not adjusts this color correctly and this color is different, than the adjacent pixels. This problem is beryl visible when i put texture on it in substance painter, but when i try use color id map this bake error does not allow set color id mask properly in substance painter. Because painter skip this different color and doesn't put on it the texture, which i want.

Here is how the problem with miss pixels looks on the normal map and id map. Screen shows one area, but this problem is on my whole model. And baker in 3ds max generates this problem randomly even on the flat surface

Normal:

ID Color: 

And here is how this problem looks in the substance painter. First picture shows set fill layer on whole model, without using id mask, and the second shows how problem looks when i try use id mask. Please help me solve this problem, without change the baking program because unfortunately this is not a solution to avoid my problem

Replies