Home Technical Talk

Zbrush: How do you using refence images for face sculpting?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 6
Pretty much the title :D

I tend to use the "Grid->Front-Back" Method, but now i am not sure but
i guess i have to sculpt in dyn. perspective
but when i do this, its kinda hard to get the exact view angle again after i rotated it...

What is your prefered way to use references in zbrush?

Replies

• RS7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RS7 polycounter lvl 3
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    personally i don't think trying to match up a reference image like that leads to good results. I find it better to have reference on second screen or to the side and just take more time to study and understand the ref. Even if you get multiple reference images to match up from different angles, it can still look off. Just my experience but I've heard some more experienced people share the same sentiment as well.

More direct answer : You can save views in zbrush using zApplink.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmKT33Uu8Tc

• goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    personally i don't think trying to match up a reference image like that leads to good results. I find it better to have reference on second screen or to the side and just take more time to study and understand the ref. Even if you get multiple reference images to match up from different angles, it can still look off. Just my experience but I've heard some more experienced people share the same sentiment as well.

More direct answer : You can save views in zbrush using zApplink.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmKT33Uu8Tc

Thanks alot! it is something i was wondering too, if i should take the ref-images out of zbrush and use it with "PureRef" or a similar software.
    I guess i will just have to try what fits better in the end
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    If you're just starting out I wouldn't recommend just eyeballing photos. This is fine when you've developed your abilities to read forms and judge proportions/distances/scales, but if this is new to you you should use proper orthographic references until you begin to understand proportions of the skull/face, silhouette, and bony landmarks(very important)

A great starting point is Lightbox>Project>Grid.ZPR This contains a fantastic resource(that most Zbrush users don't know is there) to begin your journey to understanding and sculpting the human head. It contains  grid all set up with skull ortho refs and a sphere mesh ready for sculpting. If you practice just using the move brush to match the forms/silhouette of the skull until you can do it accurately with the grid switched off then you will be on your way.

Another great resource is to download or purchase a head scan model to study. This really helps with the subtle changes in silhouette from many different angles that can be hard to pick up from photos alone.

Here is a video from my YT channel explaining in depth how to use the Zbrush grid for setting up refs.

• goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks alot musashidan  for your video, and i actualy did not know about that grid-project in the lightbox...
    i must confess, the lightbox is something that bothers me whenever i launch zbrush, so i close it and never look into it afterwards :D