Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Polaroid Prop - Critiques Appreciated!

Hello polycount, this is my first post here and I will be graduating from school in a few months time. I'm looking for advice and critique on how to better improve my skills as a environment/prop artist.

Here is a realistic prop that I did as a personal project and I hope to get more feedback.

Thank you!

Replies

• jamecz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jamecz polycounter lvl 3
    This graphic design is great. I feel that the polycount could definitely be upped for a hero asset/portfolio piece though. Specifically on the detailed areas of focus like the lense, the viewfinder, etc. They lack the depth that a real camera lense has. Pther than that I feel that the surface grain on the black plastic feels uneven in places.
  • annabellepyt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello there! thanks for the feedback :) I actually thought the poly count was actually too high for a prop haha! May I ask whats a good range of polycount for a prop like this?  Thank you very much :smile:
  • rexo12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator
    6k probably is a little high for a small detail prop in an environment, but, seeing as this is a standalone portfolio piece, it absolutely can be higher (Just not too high!). Maybe about 10-15k? Seeing how you're already using a 4k texture, you may as well bring the polycount up along with it.

I love the posters you've made for it though, brilliant presentation. If it weren't for your name up there i'd think they were reference images (or are they?).
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    The black plastic material definitely could use some work. It looks too wavy, and has too much power in the normal map.

• danpants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpants polycounter lvl 14
    Love the presentation wow I would have reduced the grain a little, other than that awesome job.
  • annabellepyt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 said:
    6k probably is a little high for a small detail prop in an environment, but, seeing as this is a standalone portfolio piece, it absolutely can be higher (Just not too high!). Maybe about 10-15k? Seeing how you're already using a 4k texture, you may as well bring the polycount up along with it.

I love the posters you've made for it though, brilliant presentation. If it weren't for your name up there i'd think they were reference images (or are they?).
    hello! sorry for the late reply, been working on another project and rushing for a deadline haha! 
    I agree with what you said, since it's not meant to be in an actual environment I could just go ham on the polycount, will take note of that when i work on my next project :) Thanks for the feedback :DDD
  • annabellepyt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The black plastic material definitely could use some work. It looks too wavy, and has too much power in the normal map.

ah definitely, now that you have mentioned it, I do see how strong I made it look haha! Sometimes staring at a work for too long does make you less perceptive to details like these. Thanks for the heads up! Overdoing normals is something I'm quite guilty of but I will take note of it too :DD
  • annabellepyt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpants said:
    Love the presentation wow I would have reduced the grain a little, other than that awesome job.
    will do, thanks plenty! :smiley: