Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP The Inn- Advice and critique welcome!!

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Daustin_3D polycounter lvl 3
Hey all!
I wanted to share the progress of the work I've been doing on an environment, This is probably the biggest project I've ever worked on so I'd really appreciate feedback and critique if possible! 
I'll be building this environment in Autodesk Maya! Concept by Greeimm Bae 

I collected a huge amount of reference and I am currently Using Pure Ref to sample it all at once (There is more it just wouldn't fit in this capture)

Now that I've collected my reference I moved on to blocking out the environment.
I did my best to stick to the concept. I felt that I was able to move on to adding small details at this point (like the barrels and chests having more detail) But bow that I've blocked most of the details out, I'm going to tweak a few things to make the environment make more sense in a 3D Space. 

Replies

• Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Nice concept and solid blockout. Keep it up.
  • Daustin_3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some minor details like creating the bricks and planks of wood in some areas. I also re arranged the corner where the bulls head will be mounted to be a bit more pleasing to the eyes. I also added the table arms and modeled the table leg to match the concept.
    I did play around with the way that the tops of the sacks look as well. I'm going for a stylized approach to this so I'm keeping everything very simple right now before sculpting.
  • Daustin_3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If possible, Would anyone be able to give me some advice on modeling the broom bristles?

I was thinking about taking my blocked out version here and using a stylized fur brush in zbrush. I thought about using fibermesh, but I feel that the detail of the fibermesh would be too much of a difference in style for everything else in this environment.
  • tythomas063
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    What I will do is that I will model the silhouette of the bristles(one simple shape mesh that matches the shape of the bristle) and then import it into the ZBrush to sculpt the detail of bristle. And then bakes the high poly model onto the low poly the model in substance painter.    

After that, I will add the cards of the bristle's line thingy(whatever it is called) onto the model to break the shape of the silhouette and add more "fluffy" to it.

Similar idea to this workflow: 

https://simonschreibt.de/gat/airborn-trees/

I'm not an expert but this is something that I will do. So take this tip as a grain of salt. Hope this helps. 

Keep it up. It's looking great!
  • Daustin_3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the encouragement to far!

I haven't had too much time to work on this in the past week or so but I've made a few small adjustments since the last update.
    I've added some variation in the stone arches to add a bit of character to the environment and created a pumpkin model to duplicate in areas. I replaced a lot of my blocked areas in the scene with the models and I've going to move on to sculpting here soon.

Ant feedback is still greatly appreciated!!

• Daniel91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daniel91 triangle
    Could you use splines to model the broom bristles? maybe add some kind of noise modifier to randomize them a little bit?

I haven't used maya, but i know in 3ds max you could do something like that and it might make a decent result

or some kind of hair/fur modifier? that might end up being a bit different to the kind of style from the concept though, and again, basing this on my limited knowledge of 3ds max, so I have no idea if this is even relevent to maya
  • Daustin_3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daniel91 said:
    Could you use splines to model the broom bristles? maybe add some kind of noise modifier to randomize them a little bit?

I haven't used maya, but i know in 3ds max you could do something like that and it might make a decent result

or some kind of hair/fur modifier? that might end up being a bit different to the kind of style from the concept though, and again, basing this on my limited knowledge of 3ds max, so I have no idea if this is even relevent to maya
    It will definitely be work looking into! I'll check it out and see what I can find out, thank you for the tip!
  • Daustin_3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After getting a lot of advice and feedback from peers, I've made the decision to render this project in Unreal Engine 4. I have never used this program before but I am using this project as a learning vehicle for myself! Luckily I made this decision before sculpting (Sorry for the lack of updates) I've been busy wit ha full time job but I am now back to working on this project and excited to share progress with you all!
  • Daustin_3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been testing out the style that I'd like to stick with for this environment by sculpting a small section of the scene that was made up of different materials.

I wanted to take try to create a style as close as possible to the concept that also blended well together and was easy to repeat in all elements of the environment. Here I modeled the section of the back wall with the candles and stone Arch.

The wooden plank is missing some details at the top and ends but this gives me an idea of what I'd like to stick with stylistically.