Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alien Bust for 3D printing

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
wenglish polycounter lvl 11
Hi!

I have been working on a bust of an alien character, and wanted some feedback. I want to use him as my first 3D print, and am hoping some of the 3D printing experts out there could point out problem areas. General critique is welcome too.

Replies

• duplicateaccount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duplicateaccount triangle
    (EDIT: I'm not a 3d printer) Hi there, Have you thought about making the pedestal a little larger. Something about the the helmet coming right up against the edge is a little "Bothering" for lack of a better word. Possibly add a little sci-fi detail to the pedestal, like the couple rings at the front of the gun. Nice job, cant wait to see further pics
  • wenglish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those are good suggestions, I will definately incorporate those ideas. 

I haven't had a chance to work on this guy lately, but I did have an oppourtunity to attend a 3D printing workshop and got him printed! So I've learned a couple of things from the experiance.
    1: The helmet needs to either be farther away or right up against him because the area between the helmet and body fills with support material and sludge which is tricky to clean out. 
    2: The rings around the gun are a little to thin and kind of collapsed a little bit.

So I will be doing another round of revisions on this guy and hopefully printing him again. Here's some pictures from the workshop:

Front

Back

Before support material was completely removed

He looks a bit better now since he's completely dried and I sanded the bumps left from the structures down a bit. I'll post a picture of that when he's ready to hand.
  • wenglish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here he is dried and sanded. It's a little tricky getting a good photo since he's printed in black resin. I think I'll use white next time. Also the sanding created some scratches, maybe I need some finer sand paper?

• wenglish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I've made some alterations to improve the final print. Moved the helmet so it's all one piece with the body and removed the rings from the blaster. I also added some sci fi details to the base, as 3DKlassen suggested, and some general sharpening and further attention to the sculpt. Here's the latest render: