Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hallway [finished] - Critique appreciated

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
fullpinkdog greentooth
Hi everyone!
So, this project is all about practicing to the creating game environment
I hope that you will help me to finish this project by your feedbacks
Here is my blockout, very simple, just for the start, it's definitely will be updated along the whole progress:

It's gonna be cyberpunk style. I think cyberpunk style is most about "the contrast" between old and new technologies, so i will try to make this.
Currently i have made the door:

Alphas on the screens:

bit of lenny ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I dont really know what to say, feedback about this woud be really cool! Also, it's 2k texture with 10.24px/unit TD

And air duct in progress:

Yeah, so, its a lot work to do, thanks for you attention!

Replies

• fullpinkdog
    Offline / Send Message
    fullpinkdog greentooth
    update my POGress:
    wall, lamp, wires, air ducts. Quick texturing, a few decals(took from Scifi Kitbash Level Builder by Denys Rutkovsky, really inspiring work), some issues with lightmaps of air ducts

• fullpinkdog
  • fullpinkdog
    Offline / Send Message
    fullpinkdog greentooth
  • fullpinkdog
    Offline / Send Message
    fullpinkdog greentooth
  • fullpinkdog
    Offline / Send Message
    fullpinkdog greentooth
    update, pipes and floor. Floor looking a bit off, but i did not find  good references of what i want yet, so i made some random floor, its likely gonna be replaced in future

• fullpinkdog
    Offline / Send Message
    fullpinkdog greentooth
    mb something like this for the start, don't know yet
  • Taylor Brown
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Are you using a human scale model for reference? I think the door looks tiny compared to other elements (those cables and lightbulbs would be as thick as my arm, two people could fit in that ducting side by side)
  • fullpinkdog
    Offline / Send Message
    fullpinkdog greentooth
    Are you using a human scale model for reference? I think the door looks tiny compared to other elements (those cables and lightbulbs would be as thick as my arm, two people could fit in that ducting side by side)
    Hi! Thanks for your feedback!
    So this is my "human" ref:

About air duct and human ref in UE4 scene:
    So, you still think it has a crazy scale? I think you may be right, i'll try to mess around with scale
  • fullpinkdog
    Offline / Send Message
    fullpinkdog greentooth
    I think lamps are really big, yeah

• fullpinkdog
    Offline / Send Message
    fullpinkdog greentooth
    yeah, just realized how big those air ducts, haha

• fullpinkdog
    Offline / Send Message
    fullpinkdog greentooth
    Guess thats better, but still have some issues with lightmaps. About cables, hm, i guess i'll scale them later, its hard to say for me if its really big right now

• fullpinkdog
    Offline / Send Message
    fullpinkdog greentooth
    decals. decals is everywhere. cant stop adding this shit

• Taylor Brown
  • fullpinkdog
  • fullpinkdog
    Offline / Send Message
    fullpinkdog greentooth
    update, rebuild whole scene with assets im currently have, just for playing with lighting and details, looking ugly. I think it's too many decals, but i  can't really find the happy middle or whatever, guess i should looking for more references. Maybe make some new floors for testing or even walls

• fullpinkdog
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I think there should only be an air vents on one side of the hallway. Having 2 air vents run side by side doesn't really make much sense and it makes the scene look a bit crowded. Cool work otherwise!
  • fullpinkdog
    Offline / Send Message
    fullpinkdog greentooth
    I think there should only be an air vents on one side of the hallway. Having 2 air vents run side by side doesn't really make much sense and it makes the scene look a bit crowded. Cool work otherwise!
    Thanks for your answer, man! To be honest, i want to make scene look a bit crowded, but yeah, two vents doesn't make sense and also i think it's maybe a bit boring, I'll try to do something with that! Thanks again!
  • fullpinkdog
    Offline / Send Message
    fullpinkdog greentooth
    update, just tesing some things

• fullpinkdog
    Offline / Send Message
    fullpinkdog greentooth
    update

So because no one even see the text on sheets i put some random text

• fullpinkdog
  • fullpinkdog
  • Andreicus
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
    The first image of the final rendering reminds me a little bit of Observer game, it's nice.
    You said that you used decals right ? Did you use the decal tool that is inside UE ( if you rendered it in UE ) ?
  • fullpinkdog
    Offline / Send Message
    fullpinkdog greentooth
    Andreicus said:
    The first image of the final rendering reminds me a little bit of Observer game, it's nice.
    You said that you used decals right ? Did you use the decal tool that is inside UE ( if you rendered it in UE ) ?
    Man, most of my references was from Observer, haha
    Yes, i used deffered decals in UE4

• garcellano
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth

Good start, but I think there's a lot you can do with this.
    I highlighted them in colors, on what I noticed.

~I'll start with the white grid. Since this is usually the angle that we all make for hallways, there's usually something important or significant at the center or end.

~Purple: Leading to that door or gate. If that's an exit door or an entrance to a different room compared to the other rooms, maybe have the door slightly bigger or make it so that is stands out differently than the others.

~Yellow: Those light fixtures above the doors. They look a bit clean compared to what's around it.

~Red: The bottles and cans you have by the walls. Without look at with it is, it's something that's filling the space there, and it's beginning to look too consistent. Imagine someone sitting around there, throwing a can around the hallway. They won't care where it is. Even if it's someone opening the door from the inside, if they threw a can to the side, chances are it might hit the wall or roll a bit to the hallway. Pretty much just scatter it a bit lol or have some variation where they're placed.
    Also, there would be some wet spots or something by the edge of the walls. Those can kind of continue on to the door mats.

~Blue: Those mats that are placed by the doors almost look too identical. Rotate them a bit and change the spacing, make one of them closer to the door.

~Green: Those wires. Just also to add, you have a floor tile with a strong straight line going up that door by the end of the hallway. Play with that a bit, or move them to the side of the walls. What's the reason for those? Someone could trip on them. And those wires will be nearby the trash and liquid around it. The wires by the walls make sense, the ones on the floor don't.

These might be kind of blunt, but hopefully these are helpful. These are mistakes that I've made in the past, and stuff I use to get caught up on at work early on when I started.
  • fullpinkdog
    Offline / Send Message
    fullpinkdog greentooth
    @garcellano
    Thank you very much for this large feedback, of course it's very helpful! 
    It's ton of information to think, man, but that's definitely what i need right now, thanks again
  • RyanB
    Some details that you could add:
    - sprinklerheads
    - smoke detectors
    - electrical receptacles (every 30 feet at 1 foot to center abover floor)
    - shutoff valve on the flanged pipes
    - speakers or fire alarm bell
    - fire extinguisher on wall
    - straps every 3 feet to attach cables to wall, look like they are glued to wall  now
    - fire exit sign
    - emergency lighting with battery pack
    - lighting on ceiling
    - cameras
    - signage (elevator, fire escape, stairs, etc.)

Some observations:
    - door frames are extruded too far from wall
    - ceiling is approx. 14-15 feet high based on a standard door of 80 inches, a typical apartment ceiling would be at ten feet
    - 15 foot ceiling is for industrial, commercial or luxury apartments, maybe a service hallway
    - colour temperature of the flourescents looks like pure white

• fullpinkdog
    Offline / Send Message
    fullpinkdog greentooth
    @RyanB
    Thanks man, it's a wonderful feedback! 
  • Taylor Brown
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    word of advice: take the critiques you've just received from working professionals and apply it to this project before calling it finished. I've made the mistake of saying "thanks, ill think about it for next time" and learned later that all it does is make folks not want to spend their time on you.
  • fullpinkdog
    Offline / Send Message
    fullpinkdog greentooth
    "Taylor Brown" 
    You have a point, and actually i don't even mind to continue and apply critiques to this project. Thanks, i think its a good point 
  • fullpinkdog
    Offline / Send Message
    fullpinkdog greentooth
    update, testing some stuff from @RyanB @garcellano feedbacks, textures for props still in progress i guess, think its a bit low res. Also i think about electrical receptacles, i've never seen it in hallways, but i guess it's depends on architecture special aspects of different countries. And i think change the cables, it's too straight or whatever. And gate in the end of hallway i think looks a bit off

• garcellano
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Nice :) it's coming along. The floor. **Hold on.

It might look too messy. They're are mailboxes on the wall. The mailman/woman giving the mail might see that it's too dirty on the floor, and would probably ask for someone to clean it (fictionally speaking). Someone will eventually take some of those pieces out, but not regularly.

You have it there, the small pieces, and the paper sized ones being the bigger pieces. Reduce the scattered pieces to like 50%. It might be too much now on the sides. Try testing that out, and if it's reads the way you like it. If this is a hallway that has homeless people around, it'll make sense a bit. But, if it has people come in and out regularly, it'll probably look less messy on the floor.

Also, crumpled paper might work,. Paper bags from the grocery store? a flyer? postcard? ripped envelope?

It's just a flat square shape on the floor. Have it folder, or torn. I hope that makes sense. 

Try thinking about as... a bunch of stuff on the sides, and smaller pieces as it goes to the middle. People will eventually kick the bigger pieces to the side if it's in the way.
  • fullpinkdog
    Offline / Send Message
    fullpinkdog greentooth
    @garcellano Yeah, i trying to find a happy middle, it will take some time, heh
  • garcellano
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    It's looking good, though! You have the scene already there!

I forgot to emphasize the big reads, middle, and little reads. I'm just looking at the junk, or debris.
    This blew my mind when I did this a few years back.
    ~have a small amount of junk (big, mid, small) scatter around, as a group/mesh together.
    ~then, have another one, with a few more pieces, scatter around, with more space from each other, and also as a group/mesh.

You can repeat it this way, if you want, or scatter it manually. 

~Also, if you'd like, because you have grunge and dirt around the edges of the walls and ceilings, you can add a touch of grunge or dirt around the edges of those floor tiles.

You got this! It's literally there.
  • fullpinkdog
    Offline / Send Message
    fullpinkdog greentooth
    It's a good point and i just realized that i never mentioned that this is some kind of semi-abandoned building, but anyway i definitely should tweak this garbage on the floor for better result
  • RyanB
    Cables and conduit require support to attach to walls, ceiling, etc.  For the low voltage cables you have on your walls, you would see straps every 3 feet / 1 meter typically.  Examples:

The alternative is some sort of tray or raceway to hold the cables.

• RyanB
    Fire exit signs are everywhere in buildings.  In a typical building, if you stand and spin around 360 degrees you will see at least one fire exit sign.  In the case of your hallway, you would see at least two fire exit signs, one at the end of the hallway and one at the t-junction in the middle. 

Most buildings since the 1970's have some sort of exit signage.  The more modern the building the better the signage.  A building without signage would look like it was built in the 1950's or earlier.  

Buildings also have fire extinguishers, pull boxes, bells, etc.  These details can help sell the feeling of people living there.

Completely bare-bones hallways do exist but they are very rare and 99.9% of the population has never seen a completely spartan industrial location.

• fullpinkdog
    Offline / Send Message
    fullpinkdog greentooth
    update, made stairs in the end instead of ugly gate, put some graffitis, took a few things from @RyanB references, made some "groups of garbage" by @garcellano advice, it's really handy btw, thank you guys

• garcellano
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Nice. hawt lol.
    If you want to refine some more extra icing on the cake. These are just things I'm looking at when I look away, and turn back on the image.
    ~That emissive keypad glowing on the right corner, it might be the same with the other pad glowing on the right side of the wall. Try toning it down, and adding some age to it, it looks too clean and new. Here's what I did, just as an example. I just looked up fluorescent light. This can be the same, actually, with those fluorescent lights lol. Add some small age to it, since everything reads as semi-abandoned.
    Add a slight gradient, with some blur around the edges. My blurry curve might be too much, but hopefully you get the idea. Just look how they're lit.

~Also, end of the hallway, where the stairs are:
    You don't have to go too over-board with this one, but you have some wiggle room to add some damaged pieces far away, or something by the stairs, to make the viewer/player looks what's over there.

These are my two extra cents. It's looking good!

• Taylor Brown
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Its turning out better and better. Intentional iteration based on strong feedback always yields the best results. Props to you for jumping back into it dude!
  • fullpinkdog
    Offline / Send Message
    fullpinkdog greentooth
    update, made some variation in lamps light color and added some dirty/burned out spots on it, put fire extinguisher on the wall, added some damaged pieces on the walls near stairs, but it's barely visible, it's ok i guess

• garcellano
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Nice! :) It's looking good. I think you're pretty much in that phase where you can start polishing and refining the little things. With the debris or not, in the far back staircases, it's still pretty good. Awesome work.
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Maybe reduce the fog a tad bit? It's a bit overpowering.
  • fullpinkdog
    Offline / Send Message
    fullpinkdog greentooth
    @Ashervisalis Man, you are right! I already forgot about this fog, lol

• Taylor Brown
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Alt+F hides the fog completely. I think its important to toggle it on and off whenever you add a new material, mesh or light... just to see if things are being washed out due to the fog.

Holding up the screenshots from today and the 23rd... all those small details have really pushed it along
  • fullpinkdog
    Offline / Send Message
    fullpinkdog greentooth
    @Taylor Brown Yeah, it's crazy how small details can change the scene
    Also, speaking of which, made it just for fun