Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Looking for Retopo and UV Texel Density Feedback on Character

Hello, 

I am currently working on this character for a personal project animation and was looking to get some feedback before moving on to some marvellous designer tutorials for the clothes. 

So I have retopo'd and UV's the character for texturing and animation. The Character is going to be a stylised baseball player who will be throwing a pitch. He will have have quite a baggy 1950's style uniform on and boots on (so hence i didn't bother with toes on the feet). I choose to have varied texel density on the body as the chest and legs will not be visible under the uniform but choose to give them each a UDIM so that the texel density was at least close. The head and hands have different texel density to each other (the head having a bit more than the hands) and I know that this probably isn't best practice but was trying to give them the most amount of UV space. Let me know now if this is a massive no no within a production pipeline  As I am trying to practice the best pipeline practices 

The retopo I have done  I am pretty happy with but would love some feedback as there are definitely some places that could use some improvement or optimasations. I have marked a few spots I believe are troubling with red on the head. 

Thanks in advance! Jon

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    For future reference about posting images IN the thread.

1) Thigh topology could use more loops to even the density.
    2) Far too many loop terminations or star points on the sides of the head.  I think you can spend a little more time cleaning it up.
    3) Cheek topology could be much better, there are too many star poles..  Reference the Polyocunt wiki for examples.
  • jonjonmakemake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For future reference about posting images IN the thread.

1) Thigh topology could use more loops to even the density.
    2) Far too many loop terminations or star points on the sides of the head.  I think you can spend a little more time cleaning it up.
    3) Cheek topology could be much better, there are too many star poles..  Reference the Polyocunt wiki for examples.
    Thanks Brian, 

I was wondering why the images didn't display. And I'll take a look at those to parts of the model 

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Don't know if you're retopologizing off a sculpt, but a small thing I do while I retopo is to JUST build the loops only for as long as possible before I start connecting them with intermediary polys, if that makes sense.
  • jonjonmakemake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yep i get what you mean i did do that for the ear, eyes and mouth but only for the first few edge loops in those rings 
  • jonjonmakemake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also ive had some time to revisit this recently so i will repost in the next couple of days to update you Brain, after taking in your feedback.
  • jonjonmakemake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't know if you're retopologizing off a sculpt, but a small thing I do while I retopo is to JUST build the loops only for as long as possible before I start connecting them with intermediary polys, if that makes sense.

Hey Brian, 

Here is my redo of the retopo, it is a denser mesh now but i think the mesh is more uniform and has a lot less 5 pointed verts i tweaked the head arms and the chest plus added more edge loops on the legs as you had suggested. I'd love to know what you think of this round 

Regards,
    Jon