Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Becoming a Game/VFX character Artist

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
bobotherobo polycounter lvl 3
I've decided to log my latest endeavor on trying to get a game studio  job. I'll be creating a character based on some dope naughty dog concept art.
Phase 1: block out

Concept Art by Richard Lyons
Block out

More soon.

Replies

• bobotherobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working on the block out. I dnt know about you guys, but working on faces gives me anxiety. I have an image in my head of what it should look like, but it may take days until I can get this face how it should be. It's all a process. I look forward to seeing how this one turns out.

• bobotherobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even more face sculpting and body block out. I kind of took a step back and realized I needed more help with sculpting the arm anatomy. I can't fudge it especially since this character's arms are exposed. I looked up some tuts and I think this next iteration is much better than the last. The blue thing in her mouth is a mouth guard. I got kind of bored sculpting closed mouths...I may even expose her bottom teeth.

• bobotherobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, still going! I'm still tweaking the anatomy and soon I'll jump into MD to begin the clothing. I'm starting to get a good tough girl look in her face.

I'll be taking a week off for the Holidays. More will be posted as soon as I get back.

• bobotherobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok one last update before the break. Quick polypaint in ZB.

• bobotherobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back at it again! I went into Marvelous to start the tank top and the jeans. I imported into Zbrush for some sculpting.

• bobotherobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another Update.

• bobotherobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the VFX project I am working on tandem to the game art project. I am not a hundred percent sure what I want him to be doing. Perhaps eating or waiting for a bus...

This is after a couple weeks of work. I will be headed back to the military woman now. I had a lot of fun with this guy and can't wait to come back to him.

• bobotherobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woo boy! It's been a busy 30 days! I'm going through a bit of a job transition but luckily it's given me a lot of time to work on my ape. The more I work on him the more I realize I may want to do Films and creature modeling...

I decided to try and make an ape character that would fit into the recent Planet of the Apes universe. I made him more mean looking and he will be holding a weapon in the final product.

• bobotherobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the full model in Zbrush. I had to detach his arms due to my Zbrush draining all my RAM when I have one 30 million poly model. I had to settle for 4 separate 8 million poly models do get decent amount of detail without my computer coming to a complete stop. This is really unfortunate for me because a displacement map bake at 8 million polys would not compare to the amount of fidelity the models in the Planet of the Apes movies have.
    In any case, I used a few texture XYZ alphas on the head and the rest is hand sculpted.

• bobotherobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my latest update on my ape man. I have been messing around with the groom for weeks but due to some unfortunate errors I lost my very first renders of my groom tests. I am rendering in Arnold and doing the groom in Xgen. Right now there're about four descriptions for the head and two for each limb. the stomach area will have a few since I plan to put paint on his chest. This is my first project like this, so I trying to get a good pipeline down so that I can create a good VFX break down video. I'll have more clear renders soon.