Home Technical Talk

What do I do after retopo?

suwhan
node
Offline / Send Message
suwhan node
Hello, everyone, I'm creating a character for games and I just finished the retopo.
I have the UVs all mapped out and I was wondering what the next step was.

Do I use the UV map and bake details onto in Zbrush and then move it to substance painter and Mari to bake textures?

I'm a noob and I was wondering what the typical gaming pipeline would be.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    You can bake the details onto your low poly mesh inside of Substance Painter if you like. Check out Allegorithmic's YouTube channel to see how to properly bake, as you might need to explode your mesh or use Substance Painter's 'Match By Mesh Name' function (although this never works for me).

- When baking the details, only bake the normal map at 1024, no anti-aliasing at first. This will give you a quick bake and you'll be able to see any errors that you need to correct. When you do not have any errors, then increase the resolution and anti-aliasing if needed.

After the maps are baked (Normal. AO, colour ID (if needed), etc), then you can start texturing. If you used an exploded mesh, might as well reimport the mesh as non-exploded and go from there.
  • suwhan
    Offline / Send Message
    suwhan node
    Thanks, Ashervisalis! I just had a follow-up question. what software is usually used to create various maps? Is it usually Substance Painter or Mari?
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    For 1:1 bakes(high to low mesh baking) Substance Painter/Designer and Marmoset Toolbag 3.

There are other options, but the above are the most commonly used.

Don't ever bake in Zbrush. :) The results are inferior and it uses its own tangent basis.
  • suwhan
    Offline / Send Message
    suwhan node
    Hi Musashidan, thanks for your input!

I just need some clarification, are XYZ textures on Zbrush considered a part of mapping? Or is it just detailing?