Home Technical Talk

Zbrush - Can I store buttons preference defaults inside zbrush?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Worldevour polycounter lvl 6
For example, I want to change this "Grp" button to be unchecked by default. Is this possible? It is really annoying to have to uncheck this every time!

Replies

• gvii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gvii polycounter lvl 10
    You gotta save startup config file.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    i tested teh above, but that didn't work for me ^
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Unfortunately its a bit of a mess since different settings are stored in different places. And while you can use a start-up macro/script to automatically set certain toggles and preferences for you... you might find that half of them get wiped when you load a project that has its own stored settings.

In the case of the Grp option, I have no idea where it is saved. You'd think it would be saved to the Tool as a Tool Property (since that is where the button is located), but that isn't the case. It isn't saved with the UI Config, nor is it stored in the project (although switching projects will reset the button to be on again). At the moment I just keep the button on my custom UI next to my export button so that I at least don't have to go digging for it every time. 

• floon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    As the others mentioned, many settings can be stored via the <Preferences:Store Config>, or <Document:Save as Startup Doc> (for canvas related settings.
    There is also the "ZStartup Master" plugin, that is part of the ZBrush 2018 installation, which can be found in the Zplugin palette.

Now the Grp button is an interessting one, afaik the setting is stored in the Tool, BUT for every Subtool independent. So different Subtools can have different export settings and by default it is active. Even when dublicating a Subtool that had the option deactivated.
    I wrote a little script a while ago, that toggles/untoggles the Grp option for all Subtools of the loaded Tool.
    So while this is not exactly what you were looking for, the attached script might save you some time regardless :)

• Worldevour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worldevour polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for effort and information guys, I hope pixologic answear our concerns!