Home Technical Talk

Character artist, PBR texturing, shaders

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 5
When a character artist is making a char (lowpoly, highpoly, texturing) does he have to know what shader than will be used?

For hair in unreal for example i could use the hair shader (used in "digital human" project") which requires different maps (id, depth, ramp etc)
but when i want to use marmoset for example, i would not have that unreal-hair-shader, so i would need other maps (normals etc)

So my question is:
Can i achieve a complete character with pbr workflow (created in substance painter for example) without worring about what shader later will be used?!

Replies

• Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9

Can i achieve a complete character with pbr workflow (created in substance painter for example) without worring about what shader later will be used?!
    Not really, 
    I mean every map are convertible, a gloss is kinda just a roughness inverted etc... but it really doesn't make any sense to create your map and then think about your shader, both should work together. 

Cheers!
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay this means, i should decide if i want to generate and or present my work in marmoset or in unreal in the biginning stage? ouch
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    You make a plan and go with that, but should you need to convert to another shader or application its usually possible. 

• zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Most shaders are easily transferable at least for normal cases. If you have some crazy custom shader that does incredible things in unreal then of course you made it unreal so you should use it there. However, if you're just using standard Diffuse, Normal, Rough/Gloss, Metal/Spec then Marmoset and Unreal are both pretty much plug and play in those regards. Marmoset even has a designated preset for an unreal material in their presets at the top of the screen.
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks alot guys really appreciate it!