Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Critique on form and proportion 2

Fraktayne
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Fraktayne polycounter lvl 5
Hi there,
 A bit of a background, I've asked for a critique on proportion and form before and it has helped me a lot.
I've also been practicing a lot since then and I'd like to know your opinion about this work.

I got the inspiration for this from "Venus de Milo".

Replies

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    I can appreciate you taking the time to make beauty renders but for critique basic material and zbrush screen grabs are showing forms much better or you have to use less forgiving material/lighting set up in your beauty renders
    Its a bit of a maze down there so if you have hard time let me know

• Fraktayne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,
    Question about the rectus abdominis part, what do you mean by inner half?
    Also the dead space area what does it mean?
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you take the whole width of pelvis and divide it in 4 rectus abdominis will be limited to 2 middle portions
    Dead space is spacing between muscle -> white connective tissue in 4th image in a living model is usually depressed area , it help define where flank end and belly begins
  • Fraktayne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,
    Here's what I've changed:
    -removed the extra things above the hips
    -tried to fix armpit 
    -lifted right hand breast a bit
    -tried to fix the rectus abdominis and muscle gaps (not really sure if I did a good job)
    -shortened and thinned the neck
    -scaled down the upper arms and extended it a bit

How is it?
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now you have some proportional problems either rib cage is tiny or pelvis is too wide
    I suggest you duplicate this subtool remove her breast and fix rib cage volume and relations with the other 2 big masses [head and pelvis]
    I am attaching zbrush turntable of female skeleton in similar pose to help you in proportion fixes and provide you with useful bony landmarks
    After you do that locate where each muscle start and ends and place it in appropriate place[that should help with torso twist]also look for sculpture or real person in similar pose for reference
    Ref for shoulder

• Fraktayne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,
    The changes I've made so far was to add volume to the rib cage area and to make the pelvic area narrower.

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok she look more reasonable , keep using skeleton to define bony landmarks then add muscle between them
    If you haven't found any references you can use yourself just take the same pose and check yourself in the mirror  it will help with major volumes
  • Fraktayne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, I will keep working on refining my anatomy other than that I need to work on creating a head/face because it seems I cant make one properly.