Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blizzard Student Art Contest - Environment Crit

SameerAzimi
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
SameerAzimi polycounter lvl 3
Hi all! I am participating in Blizzard's challenge for the environment section. This is what I have so far. 

Its set near the village of Pyrewood. The story behind it is that a huntsman/mercenary killed the residing orc and now lives within the skull. It would be a sort of a boss fight. Im not certain if it has a world of warcraft feel, maybe that will come in with the hand painted textures. I'm also trying to get bounce light from the volumetric fog to come out of the cracks in the eye sockets but I'm getting weird lighting so I might make the shafts using polygons.  

Anyhow, I'm all ears to any suggestions/crits.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    How are you planning to populate the path leading to the skill cave?

Skull ccave could use more asymmetrical design and dutch angles for more interest.
  • SameerAzimi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Brian "Panda" Choi I am planning to have some wood warning signs and the spears with the skulls on them for the path. Did you have something else in mind when asking that? 

I'll look into the symmetrical design aspect but I'm not sure what you mean about the dutch angles? like rotate the skull a bit?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asymmetrical, not symmetrical.  They are different.

Dutch angles as in, yes, your skull shouldn't be so even looking.  It's v arved out of rock; give it a little more chaos.

What's the story behind this? What tone are you going for?
  • SameerAzimi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Brian "Panda" Choi So I played around with some asymmetrical designs and broke one of the horns off. The other part of the horn is in the forefront. I'm gonna test some different areas to place the horn to see what looks best. I also added some sort of drapery from the other horn that will have an Orc symbol. This vastly improves the scene thanks Brian!

The story is that a mercenary killed a rogue orc that lived within the skull structure and now resides in it. He has become sort of a legendary huntsman and now players go to this site to challenge him. 

As far as tone, I'm not sure. I need to study that more in environmental design. I want the player to feel a small sense of dread but also feel like there is an adventure waiting within the skull. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can tell you right now off my IPS monitor, this scene is still way too dark.

Night scenes work better when you're not crunching ALL the values down to black

How are you planning to communicate some reclusive huntsman lives here when you can't write a description of what is going on?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This might help.

Also your cave head looks surprisingly similar . . .

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/BGq5k
  • SameerAzimi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An update: 

I increased the scene lighting and I might add a dimmer secondary light so I can light up the dark areas to be visible. Textures are still a work in progress. 

As far as env storytelling, I'm thinking of adding a bounty poster and maybe some dead creature bones that the huntsman has killed. 

And yes that is the main source of reference I've been using for the cave section. Thanks for linking me to the artist! 
  • SameerAzimi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some more progress shots: 

I added a secondary scene light which is dimmer than the main one and it helps the lighting a ton. I'm still shifting things around a bit so I will play with the lighting even more after that. Most of the textures are nearing completion. I also feel like the terrain needs more variation in height. It all feels flat at the moment. 

Any constructive feedback is welcome!
  • SameerAzimi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the final main shot:

I wanna thank Brian Choi for his helpful feedback!