Home Technical Talk

How can i create a texture sheet like this confused and need help.

lockey1995
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
lockey1995 polycounter lvl 5
Hey, so I'm doing a race track for a game and I looked at some of the official r factor 2 textures and it seems they have packed allot of textures into one sheet and I'm trying to figure out whether they would have just set up a sheet full of textures and then uniquely textured each piece in maya,max etc and used the sheet or if the textures are aligned to the uv shells themselves then baked out later on. 

I've been trying to figure out and looked around but there seems to be tons of ways of doing it and it's now got my head spinning around. My method was to do my uv's and texture buildings on the shells them selves either using Photoshop or more recently substance painter.

Cheers :) 

Here is the example: 

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Let's say you have four buildings. You  give each one a UV layout filling the 0-1 space, and you set the resolution to 512. Then you create your textures in photoshop or substance painter. So for each building you have one 512 material. A total of four materials.

So you have four separate materials now, but in your game engine you want to only call one material because that will be easier on the computer. So you create a new 1k document in photoshop and simply combine those four building's textures together just like you see above. Now you can just call on this one material and it's going to provide for all your buildings, rather than having to call on each one separately. 

So you don't necessarily have to figure out how you are going to organize your materials at the onset. It's good to have a general plan but as long as you are proficient with your photoshopping you have the flexibility to update however you need. But remember to make your textures large at the beginning because downsampling is ok but up-rezing will make pixellated modern art.
  • lockey1995
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let's say you have four buildings. You  give each one a UV layout filling the 0-1 space, and you set the resolution to 512. Then you create your textures in photoshop or substance painter. So for each building you have one 512 material. A total of four materials.

So you have four separate materials now, but in your game engine you want to only call one material because that will be easier on the computer. So you create a new 1k document in photoshop and simply combine those four building's textures together just like you see above. Now you can just call on this one material and it's going to provide for all your buildings, rather than having to call on each one separately. 

So you don't necessarily have to figure out how you are going to organize your materials at the onset. It's good to have a general plan but as long as you are proficient with your photoshopping you have the flexibility to update however you need. But remember to make your textures large at the beginning because downsampling is ok but up-rezing will make pixellated modern art.

Oh ok thank you starting to understand it now so it is the uv shells themselves not just random textures thrown in then unwrapped. I'm then guessing after you set your sheet you just go back to your uvs and scale them all down to the correct tile. 

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are confusing me! :)

It will make sense once you do it. It seems complicated at first but once you do it you'll see it can be quite simple. So a good thing to do then is a very simplified training run.

Make four cubes, maybe put a roof on just for fun, and give each one a UV layout and it's own material. So house A gets house_mat_A, and so on. Each house uses up the entire 0-1 space in the UV map.

Then export all the houses together as one fbx and give them a super simple texture in substance painter or photoshop. Then bring those four texture maps into photoshop and combine them into one. You can also do this in substance painter. I have a tutorial on youtube to show how -- but it's probably better to be done in photoshop. More versatility.

Each of your houses should be packed neatly into that square 0-1 space, so basically you just merge the four textures together into the four corners of a larger document. If you have four 512 maps, they will fit into a 1k. Four 1k's go into a 2k, and so on.

And there you go, you've got a texture atlas and now you'll understand the whole process before tackling it with your more complicated project.
  • lockey1995
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are confusing me! :)

It will make sense once you do it. It seems complicated at first but once you do it you'll see it can be quite simple. So a good thing to do then is a very simplified training run.

Make four cubes, maybe put a roof on just for fun, and give each one a UV layout and it's own material. So house A gets house_mat_A, and so on. Each house uses up the entire 0-1 space in the UV map.

Then export all the houses together as one fbx and give them a super simple texture in substance painter or photoshop. Then bring those four texture maps into photoshop and combine them into one. You can also do this in substance painter. I have a tutorial on youtube to show how -- but it's probably better to be done in photoshop. More versatility.

Each of your houses should be packed neatly into that square 0-1 space, so basically you just merge the four textures together into the four corners of a larger document. If you have four 512 maps, they will fit into a 1k. Four 1k's go into a 2k, and so on.

And there you go, you've got a texture atlas and now you'll understand the whole process before tackling it with your more complicated project.

Yes send me the tutorial if you can :), i will try it out I must be overthinking it all 
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWsdZ0IUhcg

it's not a good tutorial. no sound. And this is much easier done inside photoshop. Only reason i did it in substance painter is because I learned painter before photoshop and put off learning photoshop for too long. But it's like a five minute ordeal in photoshop versus much more clicking in painter.

In photoshop, simply drag and drop your texture files into a new document. They come in on their own layer and with free transform tool activated. So all you got to do is hold shift to uniform scale and drag into the four corners, using smart guides to tell you when it's centered. And that's it. You export in the format you need from there. 

Just be aware of the document size. If your textures are 512 the biggest document you can fit them in without upscaling is 1k. 

And i think you had it right in your ealrier post. I am trying to do some work at the same time so kind of scatter brained. But yeah, you will need to go back to your 3d app last thing and move your UV layouts into the four corners so they aren't overlapping. Easy way to do is move each layout into the adjacent grid planes, then select them all, put your pivot in the upper corner of the 0-1, and scale down until they all fit perfectly inside. You can enable your texture as well to be sure it's all lining up perfectly.
  • HAWK12HT