Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Improving my 3d skills

Goku
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Goku polycounter lvl 4
Hello.

First I want to apologise for my bad english :smiley:

I start this topic because there are some things that I couldn't figure out, or couldn't find solution on the internet.

In my 3d learning I hit the border I can not pass.

There are some questions in general that I am not sure about. It is about low poly, high poly, bake, unwrap. But I have the biggest problem with texturing. I can't figure out how to do some high quality, AAA game quality texturing.

I want to work in 3d industry as props/assets artist, so that's what I am going to practice. :smile:

So, anyway, I will post a lot here and this will be very active topic :smile:

Replies

• Goku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goku polycounter lvl 4
    First question:

What is correct way of unwraping this kind of models?

Down is with relax by polygon angles and up is just used cylindrical map projection. Which one is correct?

Also, in general about unwraping, is it important to relaxe by polygon angles because that looks most naturaly to me, or is it better to have everything straight? OR is the most important thing that when you assign checker material there are no distortion?

Here's picture:

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    You could do either.  I prefer the top row since it keeps it looking clean and clear on the UV sheet, and application of decals in a texture authoring software package like Substance Painter, you'll get a cleaner application on those then an unwrap that prioritizes texel eveness.
  • Goku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goku polycounter lvl 4
    Thank you Brian.

I also want to ask about unwrap - what should I do with claster scale?

When I click on "Rescale Clasters" in 3ds Max, then UV islands scales are as they should be. But should I keep it that way? Or should I just make smaller parts that are not visible? Or should I change that however I think it should be, based on more visible and less visible parts, which means make bigger or smaller whatever I want and however I want?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It depends.  You can do either, and better have valid reasons for it, which it sounds like you're thinking through it.

I find myself doing both during game productions, sometimes just because I want to do it fast.  Other times because I recognize certain elements like faces or hands will be scrutinized.

I've seen people make the  mistake of not giving written decals, like warning labels, enough texel density to look good.
  • Goku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goku polycounter lvl 4
    Yes, I understand.

I will soon start working on some small and simple props because of practicing texturing in Substance Painter. It will be working on realistic textures.

Can you give me some tips about texturing before that?
    What kind of thinking should I have, or anything? Every advice is welcome :smiley:

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perfectly made Generators only take you 75-80% of the way.  You need to do some hand painting on the masks at the end.

Light roughness noise across the whole object is also good to have to have surface breakup.
  • Goku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goku polycounter lvl 4
    I tried to texture this metal barrel, but I am not satisfied with how it looks. Can someone give me feedback and advice about this?

• LoganTMT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoganTMT triangle
    that's a lot better than I ever will get.
  • Goku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goku polycounter lvl 4
    Haha, Thanks Logan, but this is not so good :smiley:

I am still waiting for someone experienced with texturing for AAA games to give me some feedback. :smile:
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eh, it looks good to go.  I'd move on to more well designed, complex props
  • Goku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goku polycounter lvl 4
    That is something I am not sure about - Should I first learn to textrure very very good simple models(like this barrel) and then apply that knowledge on more complex models? Or should I work only on complex models, but in that case more details I have easier texturing would be, so I am not sure how much my texturing skills will improve?

What do you think about that Brian?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make complex models with complex textures.

There is no binary decision here.  Do your best, and hopefully, it'll be appealing.

You can do it.

• Goku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goku polycounter lvl 4
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What will help with your texturing skills directly is if you learned how to paint.  Fine Arts Foundations can bleed a skill level up into almost everything you do artistically.  Even cubists like Picasso did traditional paintings early in their career.
  • Goku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goku polycounter lvl 4
    Hi Guys.

I have a question:
    How to make dirt and decals on tile textures? For example, if I have a house with brick wall tile texture, how to add decals on that?

I use Marmoseth 2 for renders, so I would like to hear answer how to use it in Marmoseth2?

Thanks

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A decal projection.

Something Marmoset doesn't have to my knowledge.

Unreal does, though.
  • Goku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goku polycounter lvl 4
    Oh, too bad :/

I definately won't learn Unreal.

Thanks for answer :)

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why won't you learn Unreal?  You want to do Game art right?
  • Goku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goku polycounter lvl 4
    Yes, but there is just too many things.

3ds max, zbrush, substance designer and painter, marmoset, unity, marvelous designer...

too many man, tooo manyyyy...

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Welcome to game art...

Marmoset is a middleware app, its place in the pipeline is for previs and baking, that's all. You can use it for portfolio renders, but you still need a working knowledge of an actual games engine if you want to be a games artist. You can use Unity instead of UE4 if you like, but as far as i'm aware Unity doesn't have any built in decal tools for its HD pipeline shaders yet, so you're out of luck there.

Really though, if your attitude is "there's too much to learn", you won't make it. More than anything else in games art, you need to enjoy the PROCESS of making things, not the finished thing itself, because the process takes up the most time, and unfortunately for you also involves the most required effort and learning.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bruh, I use 7+ programs to just only do my job.

AND I've done mocap performance using previous theater training from highschool.
    AND I drive my boss around to events.

You don't have to do EVERYTHING at once, just know this is rarely just a one trick pony career.

Also, I'd REALLY think about the consequences of a game artist who is really uncomfortable with working in a game engine to implement assets.  Like how hamstrung are you going to be to your team and the players you're serving if you can't do that.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    You've got to prioritize your emotions. The biggest Want is "I Want to be a game artist."

So since that is the biggest Want, it supersedes the smaller wants like, "I don't want to learn so many softwares." 

When you look at the things that must be done and start thinking how to do them, you'll forget all the nagging, petty emotions, like "but it's alot of work... it will take forever.... etc." 

So make becoming a game artist a necessity in your mind, and you won't find it troublesome to do all the work necessary.

• Goku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goku polycounter lvl 4
    You guys made me think about a lot of things...
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hopefully just take it a bit at a time.  Asking questions like you do can only help you here :).
  • Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Even of all of these upper posts make sense ^  try to master Unity already; throw your assets in there. I say Unity because is more used in the industry than Unreal; but of course later learning Unreal too is a BIG plus on the CV, but hey, gotta start somewhere. Look forward to see a complex props :)
  • uyenthuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's best to learn one particular kind of modelling first, and avoid modifiers for a while because they're so incredibly diverse in what they each do
  • Goku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goku polycounter lvl 4
    If I work only as Props and Hard Surface 3d artist, then I don't have to learn Substance designer and Unreal at all?
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably don't need Substance Designer, but you should know how to setup your  assets in the major game engines. 

It's really not that big of a deal. Just learn one thing at a time. After you get the hang out your modeling and texturing, then you start learning ow to set things up in Unity. After you've made a few models and got them looking pretty in Unity, you start poking at Unreal.  It really won't take as much time or energy as you expect. Just don't try to do it all at once.
  • VincentHalman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Software doesn't say anything, If you can do everything in 1 software, why should you learn others? If you only want to do props, master it in the kind of software you like. Sure other software will make things easy and faster but there is no guideline that tells you 'for texturing you need this, for modeling you need that, for rendering you need.. so on.) 
  • 7bajwa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7bajwa polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Goku,

As everyone already made everything clear. I will just give you moral support. :lol: Just Kidding.
    I had that dilemma to do something big. What I will suggest, keep it small in starting then slowly go up.
    Don't focus on realistic stuff or big stuff. Try to learn the basics. Basic tools and techniques.
    My all-time favorite Arrimus 3D. Go through his videos. Lots of knowledge and Information.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSLLdTBwLMfTKWS56tOiQpw/playlists
    Next is Warren Marshall. He explains some key things like UVs and Texel density as you were asking.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5dRrOarPI6ufGWsabG28FQ
    Each and every software company have their own website with hundreds of tutorials. You can find thousands on the youtube and other websites. Learn, make and learn more.
    If you don't have a job, Find one. Even in an indie studio. Learn from the people around you, grow as an artist, upgrade your skills. Keep rocking the world and Most Important.
    Keep calm, Keep learning and keep growing.
    Hope it will help.

Bajwa
  • Goku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goku polycounter lvl 4
    How you make plants and grass?

Are you using Speedtree or some similar program, or you make it "old school" way?

What is the best and fastest way to do this?
  • Goku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goku polycounter lvl 4
    How you make plants for game for Unreal engine 4?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends.  What kind of plants?
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I recently learned how to use the speed tree modeler. Really cool program. Lots of fun to use and easy to learn. 

Might make a good "stepping stone" program as it will allow you to start outputting work that has the important stuff like LOD's and texture atlasses already taken care of for you. Or you could work the other way around, and learn how to do it all from scratch first. Google search will provide you with a million ways to learn that.

• Goku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goku polycounter lvl 4
    What I want to know is what is the most used method today?

You can make texture in photoshop, but most of the peoples and companies are using substance painter today for texturing.

Is there some program for plants that is most used?

"What kind of plants?" - trees, grass, small plants, flowers, plants in general.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check out speedtree. It's really popular. Is it the most used? I'd bet that it is, but I don't really know. Check out the wiki and read about environment art. Probably find more answers there. Or contact some environment artist or studios and ask them directly. "Hey, I'm an aspiring environment artist. Can you tell me what technical skills you look for in potential employees?"
  • 3dcaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dcaster polycounter lvl 4
     If you are Unity user than Tree creator is integrated. Just keep in mind that it is different from a full paid version of  speed tree. 

• vietga99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That standard is also about Unreal. Thank you for sharing