Home Technical Talk

RX580 or 1060 6GB?

N_GONE
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
N_GONE polycounter lvl 5
Hi i am looking to upgrade from my 970 GTX 2GB card and wanted to know which one would be better? i am looking to spend around £200 and be able to paint in 4k with substance painter and render in a reasonable amount of time.

my current specs are:

Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.40GHz
16gb RAM
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (NVIDIA)

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    You mention rendering, so are you planning on using a GPU renderer (like Octane)? Most GPU renderers only support nvidia cards last I checked.
  • N_GONE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N_GONE polycounter lvl 5
    PolyHertz said:
    You mention rendering, so are you planning on using a GPU renderer (like Octane)? Most GPU renderers only support nvidia cards last I checked.
    i will use things like arnold and marmoset.
  • getoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's a good video detailing many things : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvZORXtbRng
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Arnold is a cpu based renderer, while Marmoset uses the gpu, just like Substance Painter. My advice would be to wait and save up a little bit more and get a used 1070 with 8 gb of memory at least. That 1060 is like a low end card for gamers, and really far from the best choice for artists.  From what I see these days, even games tend to use a lot of video memory when craked up to high or ultra settings. A lot of them scratches 7 gb even on 1080p. For example, I was playing the latest Tomb Raider not too long time ago, and that I experienced exactly this. Another partially related example is Unreal Engine and content in it. I checked out a lot of art examples from paragon and opening up a few characters in a scene quickly makes it going above 6 gigs. I also do some vr development, and not the low end graphics kind. My memory usage is regularly between 6 and 7 gigs. To me, all this together screams that modern real time 3d is very video memory thirsty, and I think it was an ugly thing from Nvidia that they only added 11 gb of memory even to their highest end consumer grade card. That clearly won't hold up for too long.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    You won't be able to paint smoothly in 4K in Sub Painter with a low-end card. As Obscura says, even the 8gig 1080 is just about enough. Now that the 20 series RTX cards are out you would think Nvidia would significantly lower the price of the 10 series, but a 1080 is still not cheap. 1080 is the new entry-level card, but is not really future proof for reasons Obscura mentioned.

At the moment, I'm forced to work at home on a laptop with a 1060 and the latest version of SP(2018.3.1) is a nightmare to use. I have to work in 1K, everything is lagging, and it takes about 2 minutes to save the file.
  • Udjani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator

udim? multiple texture sets?. If your painter behave like that with one texture set and some donzens of layer i think that i am breaking the matrix.
  • N_GONE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N_GONE polycounter lvl 5
    thanks for the advice everyone, i will save up some more and get a 1070Ti which will do for now until atleast the new consoles come out.