Home Technical Talk

Maya File - Everything is Green, Missing Objects

hueyang
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hueyang null
I have been working on a concept gun for the past couple of days and have been saving often. However, when I reopened my most recent file, I everything became green and I ended up losing a ton of work. This is the first time that this has happened to me and I have no idea where to go from here. Any help would be super appreciated..

here is a link to my file:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vzm-qSa0h3V2Cotv7Ga26eQTlxW7zoYt

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    green is the indicator for missing shader...
    this could happen if you dont load the render engine plugin... or if maya is loosing the connection just fo fun...

reassigning the shader should help... sometimes you need to assign the labert1 shader first and than the right one...
    or resetting the viewport --> ogs -reset
  • hueyang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hueyang null
    My objects are totally missing from the outliner as well. When i go to Display > show all, they dont show either...
    i reapplied the shader, and that fixes the green, but no luck on the missing objects.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @hueyang

When things like this happen, you'll want to check the script editor for errors. In your case some UVs got corrupted, which gave this error: "Invalid use of Maya object "ind"". Maya still doesn't recover from this error, so the rest of the scene gets borked on load.

Having a .ma file made this an easy fix, you can open this in notepad++ or whatever and search for "-nan(ind)" and replace all instances with 0.0. I happen to know that it's -nan(ind) from experience, but enough searching would have gotten you to these lines eventually. Nan is short for Not A Number, meaning maya tried to write a number out of range.

Usually we see this when someone has a very long construction history, but you're working cleanly here- so just some random hiccup. I didn't check everything after fixing, but the problem started with alternator_base. I'd take care to clean that piece well, and do an Optimize Scene Size, there are a number of probably garbage "rebuildSurface" nodes, a couple of them are somehow attached to that part.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WFZoJgxTky3_MUj3m6EFy7RUKbIoA4ef
  • hueyang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hueyang null
    @throttlekitty Thank you so much for your help! I'll do what you suggested.
  • Dharma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helloo there @throttlekitty please help, i had the exact same problem could you help me ?, its for my assigment and i dont know what to do, im doing some uv in maya after finished and save it the object gone and some turn green.

Please help asap
    thank you so muchhh
  • Dharma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello there, @throttlekitty could you please help me, i have the exact same problem.
    yesterday im doing fine uv mapping in maya, but suddenly today when i reopen the file some are missing and some turn green, i could still view it in outliner but i dont know how to recover it, incremental save wont work either so i don't know what to do, i need the file for college assignment and i need it so much could you please help ?

thank you so much
  • Dharma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello there, @throttlekitty could you please help me, i have the exact same problem.
    yesterday im doing fine uv mapping in maya, but suddenly today when i reopen the file some are missing and some turn green, i could still view it in outliner but i dont know how to recover it, incremental save wont work either so i don't know what to do, i need the file for college assignment and i need it so much could you please help ?

thank you so much
  • Flmn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flmn polycounter lvl 6
    @Dharma as @throttlekitty already said, just open your .ma file with any text editor and replace all "-nan(ind)" with 0. I tried this on your file and it worked.
  • Klaudio2U
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klaudio2U polycounter lvl 8
    One of the workarounds i use when objects turn green usually when i Undo boolean operations or/and when it seems like the shader is assigned (check in Attribute Editor and Hypershade) and reassign does nothing. I go in Hypersahde, graph material on green object and then just disconnect from its SG node then reconect it back into SG.