Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Garage Environment

Here are some of the assets that i have created for the garage environment (it wil be a real time 3d environment recreation from the photo reference). 
Modelled in 3ds Max, Textured in Substance Painter. 
Normals and AO for the bucket asset were baked in Marmoset Toolbag to fix the skewing issue. 
Bucket asset: 1404 triangles. 
Barstool asset: 1812 triangles. 
Both assets have 2k textures. 
Right now i am learning about texel density, so i may have to resize, fix the UV/texture size of those assets for the whole scene to be consistent in texture density. But the materials are already saved in Substance, so there should not be any problem to re-assign them on a new UV layout.
Link to the artstation post: http://https//www.artstation.com/artwork/N5qxXq

Original photo reference for the environemnt (unfortunately, i could not find author of the original image, so i can not give credit):

I have already created the blockout of the scene in 3ds max using some primitives and free models-placeholders. 
End goal is to render the environment in UE4, Unity and Marmoset, just to practise all of them. Also, to practise modelling, texturing, project management, etc.

Replies

• Vladimir_Hash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, today i matched the texel density in the scene to 10,24 px/cm (the standart for FPS games). 

And this action brought me to realization that i have to combine some of the assets into one texture set (UV space) in order to use uv space effectively.

So, i joined Bucket asset and Barstool asset into one UV 0 to 1 space for a 2k texture.

However, i found that in Substance Painter it is quite hard to combine different texture sets into one when exporting your textures. So, i can not assign them different materials and texture them one by one and then combine texture sets. I will texture them in one project file for a one texture set. Yes, i propably could use Photoshop, to combine different textures, use some manual masking, but i still not sure that it will work out fine for me. Allegorithmic says on the topic, that they are planning to add a feature to hide meshes , if you want to work on another mesh, so that the first one will not stand in the way. So there will be no need to use different texture sets. You put everithing in one material, and then when texturing hide geometry that you do not need.
    Also, i watched Arrimus video on how to bake cylinders properly - and that`s why i am going to use custom cages for my cylinders. And again, in Marmoset Toolbag there is no option to use custom cages. And when trying to bake in Substane it works awfully with custom cage for multiple meshes. 
    So, right now i am getting a grip around the technique to bake textures in 3ds Max with a custom cage. Hope it will work our great. I`d love to have full control over the baking process.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    You can temporarily hide objects within the same texture set in Painter by adding an opacity channel and giving an opacity fill layer to each object. Also be sure to enable the alpha test shader.

Cool project! 
  • Nick_Medukha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick_Medukha polygon
    Hey! You could use vertex paint and then use mask with color selection. Just fill bucket with red color, barstool green and you will be applying different materials on them in one mouse click :)