Home Technical Talk

3DS max: Unwrap uvw texture map on mesh with attached geometry

apro
node
Offline / Send Message
apro node
Hi
I have this 3D mesh/fbx model with corresponding texture made from Pix4d that I have imported into 3DS max. The texture I think is exported as Unwrap uvw texture map. In the fbx model I have some buildings that have quite messy vertexes, so I want to delete the buildings out of the mesh (fbx model), then make some simple geometry in 3DS max, like a box and attach this box to the 3D mesh. I'v manage this so far, the problem occur when I try to assign the UV texture map, instead of it treating the new box as a part of the geometry, it applies the whole texture to the box, as well as the texture to the rest of the mesh (as it is suppose to). I want it to treat the box as a part of the terrain mesh, not as its own geometry.I think this is because there is some data inside the fbx file which tells the texture where to allign the texture in accordance with the geometry.
My questions are therefore:
a. Is it possible to alter the Unwrap uvw texture map in some way that it will drape correctly over the box and the mesh? (make a new type of texture perhaps?)
b. Is it any way to force 3DS max to treat the box as part of the mesh? (Ihave used the attach option on the terrain to the box, but it doesn't seem to do the trick)
c. Would the solution be to alter the coordinates values inside the fbx file (this is probably to complicated I guess…)

No box:

With box:

Replies