Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sculpting Brian May

Hi, everyone. I'm currently learning CG at school for 8 months to become a modeler & texture artist.
Now I'm sculpting Queen's guitarist Brian May in his age of late 20 for my portfolio.
I thought almost done with face and move to body and Retopo, but I feel this face kind of cartoony and lack of details...
Tried to add some wrinkles but it seems to become too old.
Please give some advice on how to make looks better as an artwork and which part should I fix to approach real young Brian.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
(I'm learning English too, please forgive my bad English.)

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Your English is fine.
    Looks pretty good. Just in general, The base of the neck should be flared out a bit atm it looks a little odd. Also you have sink areas. Note that anatomy (human or otherwise) is made up of convex shapes. It looks like you started sculpting at a too high res too early on in the process. Liknesses are tough. Not only do they have to look like the subject, they have to convey the personality somehow. Download a copy of Daz3D and have a figure on a screen beside your workscreen  while you sculpt. Orbit around the Daz figure to check out anatomical anchors while you work. I understand that the Daz models are scanned humans so they are excellent reference.
  • MayK59
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kanga
    Thank you very much for your reply! I'm going to brush up body.
    Daz3D looks perfect for me to understand anatomy.
    Will keep it in mind that not to set too high res on early stage.
    Thanks again for your helpful advice!