Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need Advices + Critiques on mesh im making in Blender.

Hello, im kinda new to blender and this 3d art modeling stuff, lately ive been trying to create some highly detailed models and this is what i did.
Btv, i hope im in not wrong forum section, since im using it first time.

so its basicly a sheild.
What im asking you guys is to tell me:
1. Is this any good?
2. How can i improve it?
3.Critiques?
Optimising:
1.Beside normal mapping details and removing double verticies, what are other types of optimisations i can do?
2.This mesh is 250 Mb big. Without UVs and colors. Is that too much?

Even if i did all the optimisations and fixed everything you said, would this be good enought mesh to fit into some recognizable game studio?

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    It is good for a rough concept. It presents a cool idea, but it doesn't have enough refinement to make a solid, modern AAA game prop. You would think something as simple as a shield wouldn't take a lot of time and effort, but if you want it to look awesome, it really does take a lot of research, effort in production, and redoing things many times until it is right. 

I will just try to answer the first questions about "is this good?" and "how can I improve?" As to the rest, I suggest you find as many tutorials as you can and just go through them all, because that will answer many of these questions which don't have a quick and easy answer. Definitely get on youtube and I am sure you will find more than a few tutorials showing different ways to make optimized shields for games.

To improve this model, I would start by getting on artstaion and looking at all the props like this you can find. Try to discern which are made by employed professional artist, and which aren't. What is the differences? 

From there you should have a good list of things you can think about and start implementing. 

Besides that, whenever you are building a 3d model, think about how the object would exist in real life. How is it made? Why is it made that way? What is it's function? How was it used? This requires some research. So you google "how medieval shields were made," and you spend an afternoon learning some cool stuff that will help you make a believable prop. Watch some documentaries or whatever. 

That is going to give you a much better place to start from, and then if you go back and look at best props on artstation, you will start to see that the artist constructed their props much like the real life counterparts are.
  • alias66962b
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your answer. Il look up to it!